Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to swap out the stock 39 tooth rear sprocket for a 41 tooth on my 749S, does anyone have experience doing this? (I'm assuming yes) and did you have to change the chain to a longer one? I'm assuming 2 teeth up isn't that big of a deal. Stock front sprocket is a 14 tooth and the current chain and sprockets are healthy.

thanks for any input:)

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
It depends upon where your chain adjuster is currently positioned in the slot. Consider that each tooth added to the rear sprocket will shorten the wheelbase (move the axle forward) 4mm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the adjuster is almost dead smack in the middle of the adjustment, so I guess I'll lose 8mm of wheelbase.
Will that drastically effect the stability?

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
As a general rule, the effect of a shorter wheelbase is toward faster steering and reduced straight-line stability.

That said, notice that Ducati uses a swingarm for all it's superbike models that has the same eccentric-to-swingarm pivot distance even though they have different front/rear standard sprocket sizes. They all use a standard 94-link chain. For example:

15/36 (916,996) (0mm)
14/36 (916SP) (+4mm)
14/37 (748SP,748SPS) (0mm)
14/38 (748) (-4mm)

So it's not a sensitive parameter.

Factory racebikes use a revised suspension linkage and a swingarm that's 15 - 30mm longer than production bikes for enhanced high-speed stability (at the sacrifice of cornering.) The shorter swingarm/wheelbase is considered better suited for street riding.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Shazaam.
It seems like it'll be fine, but if it isn't I'll know why!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts