Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
581 - 600 of 611 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yeah I think this go round I'm going to take it apart and repair the broken solder points. Every other new bike I've ever owned has had a working fuel gauge. This bike has been through 4 of them. Ducati should have been embarrassed enough to voluntarily recall these senders since it's my biggest gripe with the Bike and it's a shame I even have anything to complain about on such a fantastic machine.
I'm 100% with you.
I've mentioned before in the forum about how ridiculous it sounds, a premium 25K bike that can't get the fuel gauge right for the past 10 years..... all that while the competition DOESN'T have the problem! I also wonder how come a class action lawsuit was never filled to force them to fix it or replace for free even for bikes outside the warranty, since is a known issue.

Reactions: Chzbox

·
Registered
14 Posts
I contacted them directly and expressed my disappointment they can see it's been replaced 4 times in the life of the bike and they say it's my problem and will be my expense 4 sensors 11k miles and 6 years. Sounds like ducatis problem to me but screw it. I'll spend my time and my expertise to make it right so I can enjoy my bike. All bikes have their quirks though if I get this worked out maybe I'll have many worry free years of fun and joy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get one of those fuel bypass connector from ebay and be done with hustling with useless dealer trips. Those Ducati fuel sensors will fail period, they will never every work. How many times do we have to post our disappointment 😢
This is what I ended up doing. I just reset the trip meter and start looking for gas stations ones i hit 120 miles. seems way easier than the cost and time of replacing the fuel sensors every year or so.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This is what I ended up doing. I just reset the trip meter and start looking for gas stations ones i hit 120 miles. seems way easier than the cost and time of replacing the fuel sensors every year or so.
Yep, have that bypas for two years now, I check my mileage just to before I take off..... no more sensor bullshit of failing anytime..

Reactions: nbsafety

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Similar here so far. Custom-trimmed black tape, so I don't have to look at flashing lights, and reset the trip odo on fill-ups. AND I carry a 1.5 Liter fuel bottle. I usually go 180 or so miles before filling. But I have used the bottle about 4 times now!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Have asked this before: why is Ducati the only motorcycle manufacturer that suffers with this? Is it really that difficult to get it right? All others have it right.

Reactions: kancrunner

·
Registered
82 Posts
would it be possible to use a fuel level sensor from the earlier model multistrada? I’ve had no problems over 100,000 miles with the exception of having to clean the contact strip one time.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Mine finally got replaced. I had the 'D' version (PO had it replaced twice). It started going maybe once or twice during a ride, then eventually was flashing most of the time. It would clear sometimes, but just kept getting worse. I ran non-ethanol gas for a few months hoping it would clear up, but that made zero difference so replaced it with the latest version.

The old one looks pristine on the outside and I can hear the float easily sliding up and down inside the chamber. Not really sure what do as far as a postmortem. But it's great having a working fuel gauge again (for now).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Get one of those bypass connectors on ebay and be done with that POS sensor. My 2cents

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950, 2018 Desert Sled, 2008 VFR800
566 Posts
I run the trip odometer and Ave Consumption on the dash which lets me know almost exactly how much fuel I've used. ie, if the ave is 49.x and I'm at 150mi on the odo, I know I've used 3 gal. That means I have 1 gal til the reserve light would normally go on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll tell you, the fuel sensor situation on this bike is wearing me out. In late November a new C version unit was installed. Last two fill-ups, it won't update right. Pull in for fuel @ 3 bars, fill up on side stand. Start back up, remains on 3 bars. Eventually climbs to show 1/2 tank but no higher and it takes about 15 minutes to get up to 1/2. Down to 3 bars again so filled yesterday again. Same thing only it took much longer to go up to just 1/2 tank and stay there. Shutting down and re-starting (just like Microsoft windows...) doesn't change it.

If this one fails out I think I want some way to disable the display of the error and just work off of the trip odometer. Its not a huge deal but I really don't like riding it around, especially at night, with the amber check engine light and fuel lights illuminated on the panel it looks stupid.
Agree it amazes me that this is an issue, I have just completed a 2,300kl trip over 4 days and it was showing low fuel more than anything else. Does my head how a bike of this quality can have suck a trivial annoying issue and not be dealt with.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mine finally got replaced. I had the 'D' version (PO had it replaced twice). It started going maybe once or twice during a ride, then eventually was flashing most of the time. It would clear sometimes, but just kept getting worse. I ran non-ethanol gas for a few months hoping it would clear up, but that made zero difference so replaced it with the latest version.

The old one looks pristine on the outside and I can hear the float easily sliding up and down inside the chamber. Not really sure what do as far as a postmortem. But it's great having a working fuel gauge again (for now).
Is there a solution that fixes the fuel gauge sensor once and for all? My 2013 MTS 1200S is finicky. Works more times than not, but it is starting to get annoying

581 - 600 of 611 Posts