Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Mine Just Reset Itself -Here's What Happened

Mine corrected itself today. Put 3 gallons in on ctr stand which took it to bottom of filler neck. Headed off and the gauge stayed stuck on 3 bars as it has been and as a Special Bonus the amber low fuel light came on stayed on for about five minutes of riding then went off and it added one bar for a total of 4. As I rode it added more bars and stopped at 6 and stayed there. After about 30 minutes I pulled off and shut down, re-energized and went into the menu to add an hour to the clock since I'd never adjusted it for Daylight Savings Time yet (had to be somewhere later and wanted it accurate). Here's where it gets weird. While I'm drilling into the menu and begin updating the clock the fuel gauge goes to full showing all bars. Not one by one, but bam. Headed off after setting clock and over the remainder of the ride the gauge seemed to act right. I initially thought it might be stuck on all bars showing but after about 20 minutes it removed the top bar and then it seemed to be playing catch up and soon after removed the next bar, and on down until by the end of the approx 2.5 hrs it sequentially removed bars over time and miles down to 4 showing. Like it's supposed to do!!

This week I'll top it off and see if it's back to working right or not.

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
Funny that you say that. Mine has been funky (not in a PFunk way) since day one. Fill up and ride away. Shows 1/2 tank, 3/4 tank for some time (or the opposite) and eventually full. At the end of the tank, it seemed to be fairly accurate. On my way to MWECM? I got the "Fuel Sensor Error" after 300 miles or so of riding. Then I also got the "EVXL Error". This happened multiple times during the trip. On the rainy trip home, neither occurred. Bike was in for service at the selling dealer (not the closest to me) and I asked for this to be addressed. Service manager said that the codes were cleared. I asked if the fuel sensor was replaced. "No" Considering the performance of the replacement part, it wouldn't matter but wouldn't the proper response be "we looked at the exhaust valve, cleaned the actuator and replaced the fuel sensor"? to his credit, it hasn't happened since but I haven't ridden extended miles and it really pisses me that I seem to know more about failures (not the first time BTW) than someone paid with factory access. Maybe I expect too much?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
For what it's worth, it took me a long time to get the clock set, so the engine was off with the system energized for I don't know, maybe 5 minutes.

If it ends up throwing the error eventually, I'll disconnect it and bridge the pins on the harness side with a resistor as mentioned earlier in this thread, until Ducati releases yet another updated version.

·
Green owner of Red MTS1200
148 Posts
For what it's worth, it took me a long time to get the clock set, so the engine was off with the system energized for I don't know, maybe 5 minutes.

If it ends up throwing the error eventually, I'll disconnect it and bridge the pins on the harness side with a resistor as mentioned earlier in this thread, until Ducati releases yet another updated version.
I tried with a 15k resistor before my recent weekend away and the gauge didn't move off empty, I don't have a clue why either. I had thought 15k was outside the range of the new C sensor but it's not.. Will try again this week while the silly thing thinks it is nearly full with an empty tank..

Cheers John

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Okay, I went and got fuel tonight, topped it off. Gauge was four bars before, goes down to three after full up then adds a bar back and stays there below 1/2 tank. 22 miles later I pull off and test the "menu trick." It worked again. I basically pulled off, shut down, re-energized, then went directly into the setup menu. The menu where you can check battery voltage, set clock, change tach to digital, etc. The gauge went up to full immediately upon entering the menu. So I exited the menu and turned the power off, re-energized and started it up. Remained on full for next 10 or so miles home.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Well, it happened to me tonight on my commute home from work. Stopped to fill up, light was on and bottom bar was blinking. Filled tank (3.9 gallons) turned bike on and it stayed at one bar and fuel light is on. Stayed like that the rest of my 17 mile ride home. Turned ignition off and on a few times but it just reads the same. :mad:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
SD, go into the setup menu as in my post above. It may update to full as soon as you enter the menu, mine's done it twice. If yours does too, then this smacks of a software issue. Maybe.

edit: Your bike however may not have the C version sensor depending on the build date. The C version was only released around the end of November 2014.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, it happened to me tonight on my commute home from work. Stopped to fill up, light was on and bottom bar was blinking. Filled tank (3.9 gallons) turned bike on and it stayed at one bar and fuel light is on. Stayed like that the rest of my 17 mile ride home. Turned ignition off and on a few times but it just reads the same. :mad:
I'm on my second C sensor in 3000 miles and this is exactly how mine behaves.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
SD, go into the setup menu as in my post above. It may update to full as soon as you enter the menu, mine's done it twice. If yours does too, then this smacks of a software issue. Maybe.

edit: Your bike however may not have the C version sensor depending on the build date. The C version was only released around the end of November 2014.
I tried that. It didn't do anything.

I called the dealer and they said they will have to order a new fuel level sensor from Ducati.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I now hear my '15 Multi's is delayed a month 'till mid May and I'm #1 on the local dealer's list. Hopefully it's to fix this stupid fuel level sensor problem.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
E=150 Ohms. F=22.7 KOhms

Unplug the piss poor sensor, and put a resistor across pins 1&2 of the plug going back to the Fuel Circuit. I chose a 21KOhm.

Light is off and level is jumped.

View attachment 520682 View attachment 520690

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Hi Mitchell,

Sent you a PM, but for the benefit of others ... I know just enough about electronics/resistors to screw it up. Was the resistor you used below 5 Watt, 1 Watt, 1/2 Watt, 1/4 Watt, etc?

My eyesight is just bad enough that I can't make out the color codes on it.

Thanks,
Murph

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi Mitchell,

Sent you a PM, but for the benefit of others ... I know just enough about electronics/resistors to screw it up. Was the resistor you used below 5 Watt, 1 Watt, 1/2 Watt, 1/4 Watt, etc?

My eyesight is just bad enough that I can't make out the color codes on it.

Thanks,

Murph

Here is the resistor I used.

Red (2) Red (2) Orange (multiplier x 1kW) Gold (+/-5% tolerance).

22kOhms and it is rated for .25w

The actual resistance when measured is 21.76. So the calculated watts with the resistor on the bike is (12V^2)/21760=.007W

ImageUploadedByMO Free1432493370.689002.jpg

·
Registered
394 Posts
No problem. One way to have a working sensor is locate and buy the same model sensor on eBay or some type of online parts store.

So I searched and found someone selling the same model sensor off of a bike with only 246 miles that had been totaled (592.1.021.1B).

The float inside is causing the sensor to fail. I coated it in fuel proof dope and let it cure for 3 days. Then I took my non working/fuel soaked float out of my bike, and installed the new one.

I've had 6 fill ups since I've installed it and it is still working properly. My old float is coated and cured, so when this one fails I'll have one ready to swap. I'm ok with this method until Ducati proves it can provide a reliable float. Plus I don't have take it to a dealer which is really my preference.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
The float inside is causing the sensor to fail. I coated it in fuel proof dope and let it cure for 3 days. Then I took my non working/fuel soaked float out of my bike, and installed the new one.

Mitchell, I've read your other string on how you tore yours apart to show that the float DOESN'T ! Unreal that in today's world, they produce crap that doesn't have basic functionality (like something that's SUPPOSED to float in petrol!!!).

And didn't you provide the photos/proof to Ducati, and the company that makes the sender unit?
Any feedback from either of them yet?

41 - 60 of 505 Posts