Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

561 - 580 of 594 Posts

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
On one of my searches i remember coming across a solution that worked and hopefully someone here will be able to pull it up bc i can't seem to do it again.
The guy took apart the sliding float and was able to diagnose the issue, the float does absorbs fuel and after a while the flloat drenched drops to the bottom, he was able to fix it by drilling a hole in the unit, hope this will trigger someone else to look for and maybe revive that thread.
If you do please link it as i will if i do.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
There it is

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quick question, are you SURE it's the range and not the instant MPG display? Also, what year? Also, does the fuel gauge show empty at the same time?

On my 2016, the instant MPG display goes to dashes ( "--" ) when stopped (since you're not moving, MPG is zero).
Since it only does it at idle (when your MPG is zero), I tend to suspect that may be normal behavior.
[/QUgaug
Quick question, are you SURE it's the range and not the instant MPG display? Also, what year? Also, does the fuel gauge show empty at the same time?

On my 2016, the instant MPG display goes to dashes ( "--" ) when stopped (since you're not moving, MPG is zero).
Since it only does it at idle (when your MPG is zero), I tend to suspect that may be normal behavior.
gauge shows full. the range showed around 225 and when i came to a stop it started to drop in 10 mile increments. when i started to go again to went back up

·
Registered
272 Posts
What year, and how long since you reset the trip meter?
It's using average MPG to calculate range. If you just reset the trip meter, your average MPG may be decreasing rapidly (ride a mile and then stop, the zero MPG while you're stopped is dropping the average quickly).

I don't know for sure, but I've seen that behavior on other vehicles. Newer cars use an average over the last 50 miles or so to calculate range, regardless of if you've reset the trip meter.

·
Registered
272 Posts
What year, and how long since you reset the trip meter?
It's using average MPG to calculate range. If you just reset the trip meter, your average MPG may be decreasing rapidly (ride a mile and then stop, the zero MPG while you're stopped is dropping the average quickly).

I don't know for sure, but I've seen that behavior on other vehicles. Newer cars use an average over the last 50 miles or so to calculate range, regardless of if you've reset the trip meter.

·
Registered
199 Posts
1- Is it the RANGE (meaning miles left before empty)
or
2- Is it the MPG (fuel efficiency)

If it's "1" you got a problem
If it's "2" it is normal

Simplifying PilotAlan`s a bit more

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fuel Sensor replaced with Version F. It is a 2 hour job without rushing at all and first time taking off all of the body work.

I had run the tank down to my usual fill up point and was able to just prop the tank up to have the sensor area dry and replace the sensor.

Of all of bolts that had to be removed, the two lower ones on the front side fairings were the only two that had a backing nut that had to be held to loosen the bolt. Spent too much time trying to figure out how to get to the back side and hold the thin nut before deciding that lower tank bolts could be accessed without fully removing these panels.

DSC01408.JPG
DSC01413.JPG DSC01412.JPG

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Sounds like if the float is erratic the mpg and fuel level would be affected

·
Registered
815 Posts
I haven't had issues with gauge accuracy, but did recently have a flashing CEL, flashing Fuel warning light, and flashing/blank fuel level display. I didn't see an error message on the dash but it came and went so quickly, I may have missed it.

I'm wondering if anyone has pulled any OBD error codes, and if so, what were they?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My original sensor was replaced in 2016 but it started acting up earlier this Spring. It then completely failed in early Summer. Remembering that there was a TSB on my 04 F150 fuel sensor in which the fix was to run "Techron" fuel system treatment for a few tanks on the F150, I tried it on my Multi. Tossed half a bottle of Techron in the tank and filled it up. It wasn't until about halfway through the tank that the sensor started to function correctly but it did start working correctly and has been ever since. Some of you might give it a try.

BK
2013 MTS

·
Registered
199 Posts
Techron is a fuel system carbon cleaner, what's in it? Suposidally, no additives are allowed if I remember correctly per the owners manual. But what the hell, keep it up and let us know any outcome.. thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The Techron could be chemically scavenging something from the fuel that is screwing up the sensor. Kind of like adding alcohol to the fuel can scavenge water out of the gas tank. It's an interesting possibility.

Is a half bottle of that stuff, a lot in comparison to the labeled instructions?

·
31 Posts
My fuel gauge sensor was acting up the last few months. I would say it was 70% of the time it would flash no fuel. I had it replaced once in 2018 under warranty, but not sure which version I have.

Just completed a 2,900 mile 11 state trip through middle America and now I would say it registers the correct fuel 95% of the time. The big improvement started after filling up with the rocket fuel (non-ethanol) at Deals Gap, NC.

Not sure if it was the fuel or the amount of fuel I ran over the last week, but happy with the improvement without spending $'s to replace the sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Half a bottle was a "strong" dose. My guess is that US pump fuels contain an additive that coats or screws with whatever resistive material modern fuel sending units use. Techron perhaps cleans the residue/material off? Honestly no idea but it is still working fine.

BK

The Techron could be chemically scavenging something from the fuel that is screwing up the sensor. Kind of like adding alcohol to the fuel can scavenge water out of the gas tank. It's an interesting possibility.

Is a half bottle of that stuff, a lot in comparison to the labeled instructions?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I love Chevron Techron. Used it in my Saabs over the years, and the stuff works IMMEDIATELY. Removes any slight stumble that the car had at the time. And I've used like 1/2 bottle with only a few gallons of gas in the tank of the car. Can't say that it ever hurt anything. Both the 9-3 and 9-5 cars are still running well. Guess I;ll try some in my 2013 MTS GT.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Had my sensor replaced today in my 2017 Multi. It was fine until about Sept 1, 11,500 miles and then it failed pretty much as soon as I got it out of the shop for other repairs. Rode with it for about the last 5,000 miles over 6 weeks. Was flashing about 40% of the time, inaccurate 40% of the time, and worked properly the last 20%. $113 for the part, 2 hours dealer labor covered under extended warranty

·
Registered
199 Posts
Get one of those fuel bypass connector from ebay and be done with hustling with useless dealer trips. Those Ducati fuel sensors will fail period, they will never every work. How many times do we have to post our disappointment 😢

Reactions: Chzbox and fipenna

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah I think this go round I'm going to take it apart and repair the broken solder points. Every other new bike I've ever owned has had a working fuel gauge. This bike has been through 4 of them. Ducati should have been embarrassed enough to voluntarily recall these senders since it's my biggest gripe with the Bike and it's a shame I even have anything to complain about on such a fantastic machine.

561 - 580 of 594 Posts