Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

541 - 560 of 570 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm back to black tape. Had the sensor replaced twice at no cost but number three was going to cost me so I ordered the ebay bypass. First one all I got was a flashing low fuel level light so they sent me another one and all was good with a reading of just under a full tank. Well after a few rides the level just kept dropping and now I'm back to the low fuel level warning. I'm done with the bypass and back to black tape. $%#@&!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm back to black tape. Had the sensor replaced twice at no cost but number three was going to cost me so I ordered the ebay bypass. First one all I got was a flashing low fuel level light so they sent me another one and all was good with a reading of just under a full tank. Well after a few rides the level just kept dropping and now I'm back to the low fuel level warning. I'm done with the bypass and back to black tape. $%#@&!!!!!!
did you replace it with the F revision? or was it another version?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just installed the F version today on my '17. Took just over 2 hrs. without rushing. You do not need to remove the tank from the bike. Just remove the bolts holding it down and prop it up so you can clear the sensor. Removing and installing the plastic takes all time, not the sensor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks, this is the way I went. It still worked with a little bit of gas left in the tank, no spills either.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
My new to me 2017 MS1200S started showing me fuel level issues today. Picked it up Friday, put 400 miles on her over the weekend and then today, it went intermittent. Shame, my 2004 Monster only had a low fuel light, that went intermittent early on and I just disconnected it in the wiring harness. My 04 ST4$ never had an issue with low fuel light or the gauge, other than when gauge showed MT and light went on, sull had over 1.5 gallons in the tank.. Bummed to read this thread.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My new to me 2017 MS1200S started showing me fuel level issues today. Picked it up Friday, put 400 miles on her over the weekend and then today, it went intermittent. Shame, my 2004 Monster only had a low fuel light, that went intermittent early on and I just disconnected it in the wiring harness. My 04 ST4$ never had an issue with low fuel light or the gauge, other than when gauge showed MT and light went on, sull had over 1.5 gallons in the tank.. Bummed to read this thread.
Don’t worry, the bike is fantastic!

This is really annoying but it has been happening with all MTS’ for the past decade.... shame on Ducati from keeping a faulty solution for so long (and on us for never filling a class suit).

But trust me, you’ll love the new bike.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Get one of those eBay bypass connector and forget this ever happened, the bike is a fantastic ride, enjoy

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am having the same trouble with the bypass resistor.
  • First one, read empty with low fuel light on.
  • Second, read full initially and within 400 miles reads empty.
  • Third installed yesterday, read full and within 40 miles is reading 3/4 full. No change in resistance to the bypass unit.
I ordered the F version fuel sensor today for $115. I am willing to do the install myself, so not too bad and hope that I get the same 3 years of life that I did out of the original version D.

Dave

·
Registered
193 Posts
:unsure: Interesting reading this problem you guys are having. I am an electrical design engineer and my understanding is that these bypass devices are fixed resisters and it is not possible to get fluctuations in gauge readings. I am wondering if the problem is the software algorithm trying to correct the resistance input.I'll check and see if I can replicate this on my Multi, so far the bypass has been working fine, same for my Diavel as they, unfortunately, both use the same faulty senders. Give me some time to diagnose and get back.

·
Registered
70 Posts
:unsure: Interesting reading this problem you guys are having. I am an electrical design engineer and my understanding is that these bypass devices are fixed resisters and it is not possible to get fluctuations in gauge readings. I am wondering if the problem is the software algorithm trying to correct the resistance input.I'll check and see if I can replicate this on my Multi, so far the bypass has been working fine, same for my Diavel as they, unfortunately, both use the same faulty senders. Give me some time to diagnose and get back.
After I put tape over the flashing low fuel light the next time I started it the low fuel light wasn't on anymore with 3 bars showing on the gauge. Eventually it dropped to one bar and that started blinking when suddenly it went back to full. Now it's back to steadily dropping. Like you said the resistance is fixed so I'm stumped. I'll leave the tape over the low fuel light for now and see if it drops low enough to trigger the light again.

·
Registered
2010 Multistrada
14 Posts
I had this issue recently on my 2010 it wouldn't get past 2 bars, I took the sensor out, at the end without the white there was like a cap that I was able to push to the side a little so I just sprayed a bunch of parts cleaner in it a few time and blew it out with my air compressor, then shot some WD40 in it, then blew that out reassembled and now it works like new fill up turn the bike on and it shows full, no waiting for it to climb. Been about 3 weeks now and 4 tanks with no issues.

Don't know if the new sensors are much different then the stock 2010 ones. But couldn't hurt float is just gumed up.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Can somebody post the p/n for the fuel sensor (Version F). I think it's time I order one and dig into it like Dave is about to do.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can somebody post the p/n for the fuel sensor (Version F). I think it's time I order one and dig into it like Dave is about to do.
I ordered from Ducati Omaha. Their parts site is well done. If you enter your current part number in the search, it will indicate that part is obsolete and tell you the current part number to order.

Link from AK-Bandit is correct.

I am planning to do this repair this weekend...

Dave

·
Registered
193 Posts
I ordered from Ducati Omaha. Their parts site is well done. If you enter your current part number in the search, it will indicate that part is obsolete and tell you the current part number to order.

Link from AK-Bandit is correct.

I am planning to do this repair this weekend...

Dave

What is the part's warranty period if it's a DIY job?

·
Registered
67 Posts
What is the part's warranty period if it's a DIY job?
Will lose out on the 12 month warranty if not dealer installed, but there are other factors to consider for me.
  • The first sensor lasted 3 years.
  • I like doing the work.
  • Dealer is 1.5 hours travel each way. (There are closer dealers, but this is my preferred shop)
  • If they could do it in one day, it would still take a minimum of 6 hours of my time.
  • If they can't do it in a day, probably need to put the bike on the trailer to drop off/pick up vs asking someone to take two, 3 hour round trips to transport me.
I'll save the dealer trips for bigger items.

·
Registered
43 Posts
would my sensor be going bad if the fuel range on the dash drops when at idle and then go back up when riding?

·
Registered
193 Posts
would my sensor be going bad if the fuel range on the dash drops when at idle and then go back up when riding?
If you see that happening on your car, would you say that's normal :unsure:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quick question, are you SURE it's the range and not the instant MPG display? Also, what year? Also, does the fuel gauge show empty at the same time?

On my 2016, the instant MPG display goes to dashes ( "--" ) when stopped (since you're not moving, MPG is zero).
Since it only does it at idle (when your MPG is zero), I tend to suspect that may be normal behavior.

541 - 560 of 570 Posts