Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

501 - 520 of 570 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wanted: Dead or Intermittent Fuel Sensor for Dissecting

Looking for a dead fuel sensor. Need a '13 and up model. I just want to dissect it, possibly repair. My '13 is flakey and I've been on the resistor for a while. Just thought I would try to repair one. I will gladly pay for shipping < $10 - $15> via paypal. Please PM me.
Cheers
Steve W.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looking for a dead fuel sensor. Need a '13 and up model. I just want to dissect it, possibly repair. My '13 is flakey and I've been on the resistor for a while. Just thought I would try to repair one. I will gladly pay for shipping < $10 - $15> via paypal. Please PM me.
Cheers
Steve W.
I will be getting mine swapped out but probably not for a month or two. If you haven't found one by then I can send you the old one.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cheers
Steve W.
Don't throw that resister bypass away, you will be using it again after you repaired the one you are asking for, its the float + the shitty board design, that combo will always be a problem and an ongoing PIA. Sorry no SILVER bullet is available!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been looking at a used 1200S touring, and this fuel sender debacle is disheartening. I have an older air-cooled MTS1000, and everyone complains about the fuel gage on that bike, but at least it sorta works, mostly just giving you a low fuel light when you have a half-tank of fuel left. DNA rep finally said, " well, it's not a low-fuel light, it's a "point-of-no-return" half-way light. See, when the light comes on, you can make it back to your starting point without stopping for gas". And he said it with a straight face.

I'm no engineer, but here's a thought: Why can't some smart creative type: 1. bypass the failed unit to stop all the idiot lights from flashing, and then: 2. come up with some type of simple on/off float switch that uses the existing sender assembly (or at least the base) with just a red idiot light mounted up on the handlebars that would illuminate with say, 1 gal. reserve left? We don't need to know the tanks full, we just need a warning when it's getting close to empty so we don't run out of gas. A simple on/off float activated switch would do the trick. The hard part would be fabrication using the existing sender base so fuel didn't leak all over the place. Fantasy, I suppose. But I've seen electrical engineer types that ride create a lot more complex gadgets on their motorcycles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wanted: Dead or Intermittent Fuel Sensor for Dissecting

Cheers
Steve W.
Please post your findings! Would love to know if these are failing due to sticking floats or if the pcb solder joints are cracking.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
suppose. But I've seen electrical engineer types that ride create a lot more complex gadgets on their motorcycles.
I ALWAYS remember to reset my trip ODO. And then you just need to keep an eye on that. When you hit 180 or so miles, it might be time to get some go-go juice.

·
Registered
192 Posts
X2 on that and bypass the faulty gas gauge...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Zzzzzzzzzzz

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
UGH.....now I am experiencing the dreaded blinking fuel light, steady-on engine light and readout telling me there is a fuel sensor issue. It comes and goes every few mins over the course of a ride. 10.5K miles on the bike, it's a 2011 (1200S) and has never had an issue up until last weekend . :cry:

Gonna call Ducati Austin and see what they say...I cannot do the jump-bypass-thing; I like my stuff to work as intended.

Crossing all of my fingers for a fix...

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I took mine apart and fixed it. Working so far.
It is version D
you took the sensor apart or you took the tank apart and did the replacement yourself?
i am mechanically inclined (took my monster 900 engine apart and put back together with no issues)...is it a PITA to get into the fuel tank and replace?

·
Registered
248 Posts
you took the sensor apart or you took the tank apart and did the replacement yourself?
i am mechanically inclined (took my monster 900 engine apart and put back together with no issues)...is it a PITA to get into the fuel tank and replace?
Both. I took the sensor out of the tank, and repaired it.

It isn't hard. You won't find anything complicated except removing the fuel line from the fuel pump, and removing the tank cover properly so that you don't crack a few plastic nipples on the gas gauge.

There are a few tips that would be helpful to know to make things easier (things I know now that I've done it).

Knowing that the sensor is only $113, I wouldn't bother breaking into the old one and messing with it, I would just get a new one. That being said, if my repair lasts forever...the trouble may have been worth it, but if you've got $113 and some free time, just order a new one and replace it. It'll be fun.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ducati Austin says ethanol = culprit. They have upgraded replacement ($130) and say it lasts longer than the OEM.
Well I hope that's true as premium fuel where I live contains no ethanol. Time will tell, but it seems unlikely everyone in this thread uses ethanol fuel, IMO.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Both. I took the sensor out of the tank, and repaired it.

It isn't hard. You won't find anything complicated except removing the fuel line from the fuel pump, and removing the tank cover properly so that you don't crack a few plastic nipples on the gas gauge.

There are a few tips that would be helpful to know to make things easier (things I know now that I've done it).

Knowing that the sensor is only $113, I wouldn't bother breaking into the old one and messing with it, I would just get a new one. That being said, if my repair lasts forever...the trouble may have been worth it, but if you've got $113 and some free time, just order a new one and replace it. It'll be fun.
Did I miss a write up (with pics) of your fix? Sure would help a lot of guys here...

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I can't believe i'm saying this but I've given up, lol....

After much soul-searching and hand-wringing, I've decided to purchase the bypass plug on ebay. I figure I can deal with it until Ducati comes up with a permanent fix....otherwise I'm going to be super irritated every 12-15 months, rather than a slow trickle of low-level irritation which will be easier to manage/get used to.

They are up to $27 now, must be a popular item? Mine gets here next week.....

501 - 520 of 570 Posts