Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

481 - 500 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
3 ... 2 ... 1 ...
Yup....sensor will die shortly. I kept my old one after I replaced it the second time and the float now moves just fine after drying out in the garage for 8 months or so. Gonna polish the float and slap it back in when my new sensor takes a powder.....

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thank God you guys have a good sense of humor, get that bypass thing from ebay and stop your pain, ride on!
Can't do it....need my stuff to work properly. Besides, if I jumped it out, my senile old ass would eventually forget and I'd run out of gas in the middle of the desert and die of exposure.....just not worth the risk :|

·
Registered
48 Posts
Goodwill replacement?

So my Multi is in for the 18k mile service. I have the Ever Red warranty and wanted the gauge fixed.
The shop supervisor called, Ducati had them take all kinds of readings of resistance and such, and they had to email them to Ducati.

Ducati has approved a "one-time goodwill replacement".
It seems this should be covered by warranty. They are replacing it, but the "one-time goodwill" thing surprised the shop sup, and is making me worry about what happens when this one fails.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Any thoughts?
1. Complain to the dealer.

2. Enjoy the warranty replacement unit for 6 or so weeks before it too stops working. Fear not ... It will stop working.

3. Rinse and repeat steps 1 and 2 until you can't take it any more.

4. Bypass the fuel gauge, use the trip meter as a rough measure of range, and hope that you don't accidentally reset it and/or screw it up somehow and/or forgot just how fast you were going for the last couple of hours and run out of gas twice like I did on the highway where I could have been killed or worse ... Just half killed.

5. Ducati ... It's a love/hate thing for me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So my Multi is in for the 18k mile service. I have the Ever Red warranty and wanted the gauge fixed.
The shop supervisor called, Ducati had them take all kinds of readings of resistance and such, and they had to email them to Ducati.

Ducati has approved a "one-time goodwill replacement".
It seems this should be covered by warranty. They are replacing it, but the "one-time goodwill" thing surprised the shop sup, and is making me worry about what happens when this one fails.

Any thoughts?
Stick one of these and be done, I wish I'd stick one of these up to whom designed that sensor for ducati!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ducati-Fuel-Sensor-Bypass-Connector-/264282484789

·
Registered
18 Posts
From day one on my brand new 2016 MTS 1200S (which was just uncrated this year) I had fuel sensor issues. I'd be riding along with 3/4 of a tank, then all the sudden the low fuel indicator is on and the fuel level is flashing empty. This went on almost daily all the way up to my first service (at around 800 miles). I informed them about the fuel sensor issue when I set up the service appointment, and they said they'd check it out. When I went to pick my bike up after the service was completed, the tech said he ran a diagnostic on the sensor and he said "there's definitely a short in it". So they ordered a replacement under warranty.
Here's the thing, I haven't had a single issue with it since they ran the diagnostic on it. The old unit has functioned flawlessly for approximately 1300 miles now, which has probably seen around 6-7 tank fill ups and almost daily riding. When they called to let me know the new sensor came in and schedule the appointment I told them it hasn't hiccuped a single time since. So they said they'll just put it on the shelf in case I ever need it. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
From day one on my brand new 2016 MTS 1200S (which was just uncrated this year) I had fuel sensor issues. I'd be riding along with 3/4 of a tank, then all the sudden the low fuel indicator is on and the fuel level is flashing empty. This went on almost daily all the way up to my first service (at around 800 miles). I informed them about the fuel sensor issue when I set up the service appointment, and they said they'd check it out. When I went to pick my bike up after the service was completed, the tech said he ran a diagnostic on the sensor and he said "there's definitely a short in it". So they ordered a replacement under warranty.
Here's the thing, I haven't had a single issue with it since they ran the diagnostic on it. The old unit has functioned flawlessly for approximately 1300 miles now, which has probably seen around 6-7 tank fill ups and almost daily riding. When they called to let me know the new sensor came in and schedule the appointment I told them it hasn't hiccuped a single time since. So they said they'll just put it on the shelf in case I ever need it. Fingers crossed.
If they are using the same designed in parts in the 2016, then you will likely have the go through pains of GEN-1&2, its a design flaw!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've been ignoring this thread hoping that I would not have to deal with this issue. Now 2 years in and 10,000+ miles I had my first issue yesterday. Multiple times, the fuel gauge would stop reading and the entire fuel gauge would be alternating flashing with the low fuel light.

I did a thorough wash and clean of the bike the day before, so I am wondering if this could be an electrical issue vs. a failing fuel sensor.

Is this the symptom of a failing fuel sensor?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've been ignoring this thread hoping that I would not have to deal with this issue. Now 2 years in and 10,000+ miles I had my first issue yesterday. Multiple times, the fuel gauge would stop reading and the entire fuel gauge would be alternating flashing with the low fuel light.

I did a thorough wash and clean of the bike the day before, so I am wondering if this could be an electrical issue vs. a failing fuel sensor.

Is this the symptom of a failing fuel sensor?

Thanks,
Dave
Sorry partner, you just caught the sensor bug. Welcome to the club, the prescription is you either get it replaced pending your warranty status of use a bypass connector like the guy above did.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry partner, you just caught the sensor bug. Welcome to the club, the prescription is you either get it replaced pending your warranty status of use a bypass connector like the guy above did.
2 year warranty just ended in July... I bought the bike as a leftover in 2017.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'll tell you, the fuel sensor situation on this bike is wearing me out. In late November a new C version unit was installed. Last two fill-ups, it won't update right. Pull in for fuel @ 3 bars, fill up on side stand. Start back up, remains on 3 bars. Eventually climbs to show 1/2 tank but no higher and it takes about 15 minutes to get up to 1/2. Down to 3 bars again so filled yesterday again. Same thing only it took much longer to go up to just 1/2 tank and stay there. Shutting down and re-starting (just like Microsoft windows...) doesn't change it.

If this one fails out I think I want some way to disable the display of the error and just work off of the trip odometer. Its not a huge deal but I really don't like riding it around, especially at night, with the amber check engine light and fuel lights illuminated on the panel it looks stupid.
I'm not sure if this is related but I got an engine light following being rambunctious with the throttle on my Monster 1200R.
Here's the error as displayed on the Melcodiag software. My Ducati tech had no explanation.
Fortunately, the software was able to reset the error and clear the CE light.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'll tell you, the fuel sensor situation on this bike is wearing me out. In late November a new C version unit was installed. Last two fill-ups, it won't update right. Pull in for fuel @ 3 bars, fill up on side stand. Start back up, remains on 3 bars. Eventually climbs to show 1/2 tank but no higher and it takes about 15 minutes to get up to 1/2. Down to 3 bars again so filled yesterday again. Same thing only it took much longer to go up to just 1/2 tank and stay there. Shutting down and re-starting (just like Microsoft windows...) doesn't change it.

If this one fails out I think I want some way to disable the display of the error and just work off of the trip odometer. Its not a huge deal but I really don't like riding it around, especially at night, with the amber check engine light and fuel lights illuminated on the panel it looks stupid.
I'm not sure if this is related but I got an engine light following being rambunctious with the throttle on my Monster 1200R.
Here's the error as displayed on the Melcodiag software. My Ducati tech had no explanation.
Fortunately, the software was able to reset the error and clear the CE light.

Code C1012 reads "speed sensor" [Fiat]. What is that Fiat?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
That FIAT joke is almost as old as ...

F - Fix

O - Or

R - Repair

D - Daily

Though I've had much better luck with my Ford vehicles than with my Italian ones. :)

481 - 500 of 505 Posts