Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

461 - 480 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
If your 2012 had the original sensor then you will need an "update" for the ecu to use the newer sensors. I am not sure when they started it but MY 2013 definitely had a computer update when its first sensor crapped out.

t_bare
I tried to reflash with the newest tuneboy firmware from their site. It did not help.

But I know I can flash it back to get my cruise control so I will see if Ducati will flash it to fix it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ducati just refused to cover my 5th replacement fuel sensor because it was more than 12 months old. Average lifespan for me has been around 15 months with the last one hanging on for 18.

The latest part number is 592.1.021.1F, box date is 07/18. Mine was $101 incl tax thanks to my friendly salesman.

As noted by @t_bare, replacing the fuel sensor on a 2010-2012 bike requires a software update if it has not been done before. See attached parts document.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Each to their own, I like having a working fuel gauge :smile2:
Oh, no doubt. A couple of times now, I've run out of gas in some pretty dangerous situations on the highway because I got the math wrong and/or was burning too much fuel going too fast. Scared the heck out of me.

My point is that I don't believe the sensor is fixable because it's just plain junk. I'd love to try an aftermarket one, but I haven't heard of any real good options out there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Finally got mine working at the dealer yesterday. Tech said there were two places he could flash and he must have flashed the wrong one.

Ugh.

But at least I have a working bike again. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Oh, no doubt. A couple of times now, I've run out of gas in some pretty dangerous situations on the highway because I got the math wrong and/or was burning too much fuel going too fast. Scared the heck out of me.
This is what bothers me. I used to average close to 50mpg giving a range of 200 miles, on Friday I find I'm averaging 40mpg or lower on a run giving me 160 miles. I'm stopping to fill when I probably don't need to out of an abundance of caution.

My point is that I don't believe the sensor is fixable because it's just plain junk. I'd love to try an aftermarket one, but I haven't heard of any real good options out there.
I agree. I just decided that at $100 and an hour or so of my time periodically, I'd treat it as a disposable item :frown2:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Talked to a guy at Ducati Austin and was told the problem is due to the US having ethanol in the fuel and they have no problem in Italy. If that is true than why is it Kawasaki or Honda doesn't seem to have this problem? Or their parent company VW or Audi? VW or Audi fuel gauges seem to work just fine. Maybe Ducati needs to ask VW for fuel gauge technology. Just boggles my mind that they can create some of the most amazing electronics on a motorcycle but they can't build a decent fuel gauge.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Just boggles my mind that they can create some of the most amazing electronics on a motorcycle but they can't build a decent fuel gauge.
That's because - like most things these days - the fuel gauge is being built by the lowest bidder contract manufacturer in China and it's just not a priority item for Ducati.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That's because - like most things these days - the fuel gauge is being built by the lowest bidder contract manufacturer in China and it's just not a priority item for Ducati.
Having just installed my 5th in less than 5 years, I'm as pissed as anyone, especially as Ducati refused to warranty my last one.

It is made by COBO (see https://www.cobogroup.net/en/) which is originally an Italian company formed in 1949, albeit now a worldwide consortium. Not a small operation from what I could glean from a quick scan with Google; they partner with Ducati and Pagani (supercars). Some manufacturing in Romania and even the US. Where this part is made is not clear, there are no markings on mine and it could as easily be eastern Europe as China.

Ultimately, the accountability remains with Ducati; they know its defective and are merely accepting iterative changes rather than demanding a redesign.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I can't understand why it's so difficult for them to fix this freakin' thing. I mean, every vehicle since 1963 has had a fuel level gauge......you'd think they'd refined the technology by now.

·
Registered
476 Posts
So I finally got some riding in this season. March 26th I chimed in stating my sensor was on the fritz again. It seemed as though it was sticking in the full position. After a few tanks of fuel, it appears to have free'd up and is working fine.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Speaking of missing having a fuel gauge ...

I just figured out how I ran out of gas in the past using the trip meter. I was in the garage the other day playing around with the various power modes, suspension settings, etc, got confused, moved the wrong/upper switch, and accidentally reset Trip Meter 1. It went from 50 miles to 0 miles. Brilliant!

Trip Meter 2 is still right, but this is just something to be wary of if you use the trip meter as your fuel gauge.

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
a simple $20 fix vs $$$
Twenty cent resistor plugged into the connector under the seat does the same thing.
Nope I tried that homemade resister thingy and it just happened I washed the bike the next day and when I started the bike the fuel gauge was flickering water got into it even with shrink tubing. Waterproof connector is safer why mess with band-aids. To each his own, E.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nope I tried that homemade resister thingy and it just happened I washed the bike the next day and when I started the bike the fuel gauge was flickering water got into it even with shrink tubing. Waterproof connector is safer why mess with band-aids. To each his own, E.
I have done it twice with my bike while waiting for a new fuel level sensor to be installed. Just stuck the 22K ohm resistor in the connector and carefully taped it up. No issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good for you, your d man!
Now you should tape more because the sensor is a POS and no end in sight, "now serving rev-F at the Ducati counter". What, Italians have 21 alphabets, 5 less then us, your in luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sensor back from the dead

The sensor is back from the dead.
So my sensor has pretty much never worked since I bought the bike 6 months ago. Occasionally right after a start it would work, then die within a block.

About four fillups ago I started putting Premium in her, and the gauge started working more frequently. Now it's working all the time (for the last three days) on my 70 mile roundtrip commute.
I'll advise if it craps out again, or continues to function.

FYI, Premium out here is NOT ethanol free.

461 - 480 of 505 Posts