Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

441 - 460 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
That looks like a easy fix. Good Work! Did it completely die, or intermittent? What version letter? Mine has faulted a few times but always comes back, hasn't done it lately.
Cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
That looks like a easy fix. Good Work! Did it completely die, or intermittent? What version letter? Mine has faulted a few times but always comes back, hasn't done it lately.
Cheers
Mine is a "B". It starts to go termittent when my fuel is low. Then it reads FULL just about 3L left i the tank.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I couldn't stand not having a fuel guage anymore... From what i read in forums this is a common problem. Ducati keeps replacing them but but still fails shortly after. Being me I want to know why it fails. So instead of sending it to the dealer I did it myself.

Getting the fuel sender out was easy. Just remove the tank, drain, and unscrew the sender. Opening the sender unit proved to be a bit challenging as from the factory they put epoxy on the bottom cap hiding the screws. I managed to drill the epoxy and carefully opened the circuit board.

I did some test and found the break on the first two sensors. I soldered an jumper wire and all was good. Sealed it and assembled. I NOW HAVE A WORKING FUEL GUAGE AGAIN. For how long i dont know. I will just buy a used sensor from ebay , do thesame and keep it as spare.
Great job! I attempted that but ruined the sensor trying to drill out the epoxy (i missed). I bought a new one (D model I think) and installed it myself. If that goes out I'll try again now that I know it is possible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just had a 4th installed on my '13 w/22k on her, rev F me thinks. They keep replacing under corporate Goodwill, so can't complain since I like taking her in for annual look-over anyway.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine been acting up too.

Every two weeks or so, its starts to flash on me.

After 20-30 miles or so i get off the bike, start it back up again and seems to come back.

I think ill just put a resistor in if it goes out completely.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
2015 DVT here. Transferred the extended warranty the PO bought for $60. Applied that at dealer and Western approved it for the fuel sender. While they were there the air filter was serviced. Saved 3 hours labor and the cost of sender.

Downside was I lost use of the bike for 2 weeks. This is the second sender replacement.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Downside was I lost use of the bike for 2 weeks
That would piss me off no end; if you book my bike in for a half-day job, I expect it to be done in a half-day, and there's no reason for a dealer to stop you riding with a busted fuel sensor.

Meanwhile, I need to get one for my bike and replace it myself (half-day job). The dealers parts computer was "down" yesterday so no joy. I tried to use the part number from my existing one on Ducati Omaha, 59210211x, no hits for any of A, B, C, D, E or F suffixes. So I conclude either (a) Ducati has changed the part number (b) these are dealer order only?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
That would piss me off no end; if you book my bike in for a half-day job, I expect it to be done in a half-day, and there's no reason for a dealer to stop you riding with a busted fuel sensor.

Meanwhile, I need to get one for my bike and replace it myself (half-day job). The dealers parts computer was "down" yesterday so no joy. I tried to use the part number from my existing one on Ducati Omaha, 59210211x, no hits for any of A, B, C, D, E or F suffixes. So I conclude either (a) Ducati has changed the part number (b) these are dealer order only?
Omaha has it. I screwed up on the drop off for the bike somewhat, but they could have ordered the part sight unseen, they are a frequently replaced item. Like many things Ducati, they are shipped from Italy.

·
Registered
478 Posts
@;
Just picked up my MTS today and it received the "E". Time will tell. Riding season is almost over here and I have a lot of maint planned so it won't get much action anytime soon.
So October '17 to this past Sunday, 3/24/2019. I have put about 3,000 miles on the bike. Went for a ride with friends and after I fill up and take off on our ride, viola! Version E starts acting a fool. :frown2::frown2: Pattern was, it was not working while riding but when I'd come to a stop, or ride very slow, it would come back and be fine.

Called DucPond today and let them know, 3k miles... ugh. Was told they'd probably cover the part, I'd have to cover labor to put it in, should be an hour. She also let me know there is an updated part. :(

·
Registered
368 Posts
Omaha has it.
Do you happen to have the latest part number? All the searches I tried on Omaha drew a blank.

Of course, I also want to figure out if Ducati will cover it but its possible that it'll still be cheaper for me to pay for the part vs the labour at the dealer... :surprise:

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Do you happen to have the latest part number? All the searches I tried on Omaha drew a blank.

Of course, I also want to figure out if Ducati will cover it but it's possible that it'll still be cheaper for me to pay for the part vs the labour at the dealer... :surprise:
I purchased one off of Ebay for approx $100 and replaced it in less than 1.5 hours. My bike is still under extended warranty, but it was still worth my while since my dealer is 3 hours away (each direction).

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK. after reading all the thread.

I have a 2012. Sensor was replaced in November due to it dumping the fuel in the garage.

They replaced the sensor to fix the fuel leak. Fuel level said full when I ran out of gas. Gauge says empty on a full tank. They put a second sensor in. Same thing.

They are saying it is my aux lights and GPS causing electrical issues.

Reading the thread they may be right as I have a tuneboy cruise tune on it. Added it when I had the aftermarket exhaust installed.

I think the ECU needs to know about the version F sensor. Anyone know if I reflash my tune would it help? Tuneboy files are from 10/18/2018. My sensor is from 07/27/2018 (Ver. F). Part number 592.1.021.1F

Thanks,
RCA

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just tried a 47k ohm resistor and it was the same as my sensor with probable 60% fuel.......one bar and fuel light on.

So it is either the wiring is shorted to ground or a ecu issue. :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
I do not know if it is any help for you but you can flash your Tuneboy back to stock map and then the dealer can do whatever they need to do to allow the new fuel sensor to be read correctly.
In the past I could keep my Tuneboy map loaded in my '12 and the dealer could still use their DDS to fiddle with the settings of the bike but for some reason a few years ago they told me that their DDS can't connect to the bike anymore. Now I have to flash it back to stock before I take the bike to them.

If I recall correctly Ducati changed the way the fuel sensor is read by the bike's electronics around the time when the DVT was introduced. More fuel more resistance vs more fuel less resistance...

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just checked my "failed" sensor and it measured 375 ohms when empty and 51K Ohms when full.

The funny thing is it's been sitting in my garage for about 8 months and when I pulled it out of the bike, the float was stuck. Now it moves freely up and down without issue. I don't really feel like pulling my working sensor out to verify but I bet the issue is nothing more than the float swelling a touch too much and getting stuck in the tube. I'm going to shave a little material off the float and install it once this sensor fails and see how long it will last.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just tried a 47k ohm resistor and it was the same as my sensor with probable 60% fuel.......one bar and fuel light on.

So it is either the wiring is shorted to ground or a ecu issue. :(
Try a 22k ohm resistor. That is what I put on my 2013 and works fine. Shows 3/4 full and no fuel light. I sent a couple of extra resistors to somebody on this forum and they had same success.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This also confirms that for the '10-'14s less resistance means more fuel and the newer fuel sensors (I assume 1198SP faulty sensor is from a DVT) are working the opposite way i.e. less resistance less fuel. So, the older bikes need to be setup to work correctly with the newer sensors.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This also confirms that for the '10-'14s less resistance means more fuel and the newer fuel sensors (I assume 1198SP faulty sensor is from a DVT) are working the opposite way i.e. less resistance less fuel. So, the older bikes need to be setup to work correctly with the newer sensors.
I think we are at firmware or a signal wire got pinched and sees ground

I will meter the signal wire tonight.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I think we are at firmware or a signal wire got pinched and sees ground

I will meter the signal wire tonight.
If your 2012 had the original sensor then you will need an "update" for the ecu to use the newer sensors. I am not sure when they started it but MY 2013 definitely had a computer update when its first sensor crapped out.

t_bare

441 - 460 of 510 Posts