Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
My good friend has a 2003 ST2. He has a fuel level sensor that gives a digital level read out on his display. He has 36K miles on his bike with no failure on his sensor. part# 552.1.003.2A The price is $465.87.

That information right there tells me we have a subpar part. The new C part for the Multi is $196. Also, I don't think that difference in price indicates "economy inflation." To me that says they used a cheaper part.

·
Super Moderator
25,996 Posts
Of course they used cheaper parts to build the newer bikes. They also jacked the price and have very happy stock holders. :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Of course they used cheaper parts to build the newer bikes. They also jacked the price and have very happy stock holders. :)
This is true, but how about a cheaper part that works? Japanese bikes get it right. I never had a problem with this kind of frequency on my Honda or Yamaha.

Yes, I can ride the bike and just monitor the odometer but since the fuel level read out is included on my display I expect it to work for more than 1600 miles.

·
Green owner of Red MTS1200
148 Posts
So does anyone know what the resistance range of the Rev C sensor is ??

Appears to have changed from the older style, I grabbed a 15k ohm resistor to short the thing out tonight but it's a no go. My sick rev C shows empty and reads about 8k ohm.

Cheers John

·
Registered
394 Posts
So does anyone know what the resistance range of the Rev C sensor is ??

Appears to have changed from the older style, I grabbed a 15k ohm resistor to short the thing out tonight but it's a no go. My sick rev C shows empty and reads about 8k ohm.

Cheers John

When you had the "C" installed, did they have to update the software on your bike?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
44 Posts
Same issue here. First one perfect for 13k miles. Then Error. Replaced by Ducati and it has not worked right since. It stays on 1-2 bars when refilled. Then it might show full after a while, but eventually just shows 4 bars and stays there until empty again.

I am taking it in today for them to have a look at it. Again.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Everyone with a bad sensor should email Ducati. Go to the main website and click customer service at the bottom. Have your vin# ready. Fill out the form and show your frustration about this issue.

Taking it to a dealer is not going to fix this issue. There are too many people with continuing failing sensors. Dealers are sheep, so they do what Ducati from the Motherland tells them to do.

If enough of us email Ducati, it might grab someone's attention. We don't need another revision with the same crappy magnetic roller up and down a strip. We need a freaking better design.

·
148 Posts
When you had the "C" installed, did they have to update the software on your bike?

Yes firmware is in the BBS and was updated. New sensor won't work at all till this is done, then it worked great for 4500kms over 1 month only. I have 1200kms planned for this weekend and was looking to bridge it out with appropriate resistor - just a little more elegant than duct tape on the dash.. :eek:

Thanks John

·
Registered
665 Posts
This thread disheartens me. I bring the bike in this Saturday for fuel sensor replacement, and all these failures of the supposedly "new and improved" part is not giving me the warm fuzzies here. :mad:

In the company's defense, I must say the the original part failed at 36,000+ miles. :p

·
148 Posts
I guess you also think your "house" is more "elegant" than my "van down by the river."
Each to their own, have a house but I'd like a van near a river, wife might object and I'm skint paying for Ducati service and parts...

And I'm a OCD electrician so tape goes where tape belongs, right now it's on my stupid yellow fuel warning light..:crazy::crazy:

Cheers John

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't think leaving it full over winter makes a difference. I have never had a problem with my fuel light or accuracy. I finally decided to pay and have my shift drum replaced because I was tired of it popping out of 2nd gear. So, it was at the shop tore apart and tank empty for at least 3 months. I get the bike back this week and now the fuel light is acting up.

I put gas in it hoping it was just low level, but no such luck. So now that it's back from the shop for the common problem of the shift drum, now it's hit with the fuel gauge. I think I'm just going to put the resistor in it as suggested earlier or at least until a "E" fuel sensor comes out.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well, bad fuel level sensor replaced today with the "upgraded" C part @ 38,183mi. We'll see just how long this lasts. :rolleyes:

PS: Left fork leg also swapped out...I'll test it over some known rough roads to see if the clunking/banging still persists.

·
148 Posts
My Rev C now reads backwards, with a full tank it's flashing empty, as it neared empty it came up 3 bars to show 4 bars before I stopped for fuel !! After putting in 16 litres it was flashing empty again... This repeated several times over this weekends 1200 km ride.

What will the dealer make of this, i took pics to show them..

Cheers John

·
Registered
394 Posts
My Rev C now reads backwards, with a full tank it's flashing empty, as it neared empty it came up 3 bars to show 4 bars before I stopped for fuel !! After putting in 16 litres it was flashing empty again... This repeated several times over this weekends 1200 km ride.

What will the dealer make of this, i took pics to show them..

Cheers John

This is becoming ridiculous, and it makes me furious to hear another "C" failed. How many mile did this one last?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
That's actually kind of comical. In a sad sort of way, since this is not really a laughing matter though.

·
All weather biker
965 Posts
Mine seems to be becoming less responsive already too after about 4 months/2000km. :(

It was almost instant the first couple of weeks and has gradually got worse and worse.

It seems they are prone to become sticky, maybe they need to enclose the moving part and tube in PTFE or something.

·
148 Posts
This is becoming ridiculous, and it makes me furious to hear another "C" failed. How many mile did this one last?

It lasted 4500kms or about 4 weeks use only, that was all done in a 2 week trip then the next fill up it failed.

Cheers John

21 - 40 of 505 Posts