Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll tell you, the fuel sensor situation on this bike is wearing me out. In late November a new C version unit was installed. Last two fill-ups, it won't update right. Pull in for fuel @ 3 bars, fill up on side stand. Start back up, remains on 3 bars. Eventually climbs to show 1/2 tank but no higher and it takes about 15 minutes to get up to 1/2. Down to 3 bars again so filled yesterday again. Same thing only it took much longer to go up to just 1/2 tank and stay there. Shutting down and re-starting (just like Microsoft windows...) doesn't change it.

If this one fails out I think I want some way to disable the display of the error and just work off of the trip odometer. Its not a huge deal but I really don't like riding it around, especially at night, with the amber check engine light and fuel lights illuminated on the panel it looks stupid.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had a feeling the "C" iteration of this sensor would not work either.

If you find a way to disable the blinking fuel light, let us know. I'll be watching the thread. I was going to have mine replaced under warranty, but the idea of the dealer touching my bike makes my skin crawl.

I'm with you. I would rather ride off of the odometer.

·
Sophomore Member
2,572 Posts
So are you saying I should be using red electrical tape? Sorry, I have no fashion sense. I thought that was evident by the fact I have a multistrada.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree. Unacceptable.

I understand Engineering a machine with planned obsolescence in sub components, but for the price of the bike and rep of the name brand I expect more.

Yeah parts fail on machines here and there, but new part revisions should not continue to fail so soon. It's not a matter of if the new part will fail, but when?

Maybe others have done so before, but I emailed Ducati NA and asked when will they rectify this on going issue with numerous bikes. I doubt I'll get a real response, but it's better than just sitting here accepting a piss poor effort.

End rant.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Green owner of Red MTS1200
148 Posts
I'll tell you, the fuel sensor situation on this bike is wearing me out. In late November a new C version unit was installed.
Mine lasted 4 weeks... 4500kms all done in 2 weeks then the bike sits for 2 weekends, down to three bars and filled it - now shows completely empty..

Yeap good work fixing this issue Ducati..

Cheers John

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting because that's a common denominator to mine. My bike sat for almost four weeks due to the weather last month, and it was at three bars true fuel level from the last ride before the Long Sleep. Like somehow sitting with a low level of fuel caused it to "stick" there or gum it up at the fuel/air line at the surface of the fuel level (?)

Before this sensor was installed I always used to top it off before parking it for the day, but a tech I know that services these bikes mentioned that letting it sit a long time with a full tank could possibly increase risk of fuel tank expansion.

I'll take a dead sensor over an expanded tank any day, so I'm following his advice for now and leaving the tank low on fuel when putting the bike up.

·
Sophomore Member
2,572 Posts
I don't think that is it. My bike never sits for any amount of time. I've experienced the same failures.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I guess the question is, what other models of Ducati have a fuel level sensor? Do other models use a capacitive sensor, or a thermisistor? If so, what model of sensor are they using? Are they seeing the same frequency of failing sensors? Could it be something in the Multi's circuit ruining these sensors? To my understanding, Multi's have the most electronics incorporated in them.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I guess the question is, what other models of Ducati have a fuel level sensor? Do other models use a capacitive sensor, or a thermisistor? If so, what model of sensor are they using? Are they seeing the same frequency of failing sensors? Could it be something in the Multi's circuit ruining these sensors? To my understanding, Multi's have the most electronics incorporated in them.

Those are good questions, perhaps someone from a 'Duc shop can give us a bit more info w.r.t. what they see comming into the shop for repairs etc ?

I pulled the Multi sensor apart. It's resistive and (IMHO) a fairly crappy design, right down to it's positioning in the tank.
see: 2010 Multistrada1200 Owner thoughts and ramblings

(I'm on to my 4th sensor btw...)

Although not guaranteed to work you could try the following :

[1] simply drain the tank (to force the float to drop all the way to the bottom of the sensor, and fill slowly back up. Hoping the float magnet will pick up the sliding contact again

or
[2] drain the tank and remove the sensor. if you tilt it back and forth you will hear the float sliding back and forth. I think the trick is to tilt it only very slightly and let the float slide very slowly, so the magnet has time to catch the sliding contact again.

Neither of these are guaranteed but [1] worked for me last time ...

·
Registered
805 Posts
A quick google seems to find most 'Ducs don't have a fuel gauge like the Multi....
At best they might have a low fuel light ...
Panni, Diavel, 'strada, monster 1200 etc ....

'Wonder if the 2015 bike has a better unit ?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I use a simple siphon from Lowe's or a hardware store. You'll have some residual left in the tank, and a few drops will come out when you disconnect the fuel lines.

Just have plenty of rags.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'll tell you, the fuel sensor situation on this bike is wearing me out. In late November a new C version unit was installed. Last two fill-ups, it won't update right. Pull in for fuel @ 3 bars, fill up on side stand. Start back up, remains on 3 bars. Eventually climbs to show 1/2 tank but no higher and it takes about 15 minutes to get up to 1/2. Down to 3 bars again so filled yesterday again. Same thing only it took much longer to go up to just 1/2 tank and stay there. Shutting down and re-starting (just like Microsoft windows...) doesn't change it.

If this one fails out I think I want some way to disable the display of the error and just work off of the trip odometer. Its not a huge deal but I really don't like riding it around, especially at night, with the amber check engine light and fuel lights illuminated on the panel it looks stupid.
I had a new C fuel sensor installed on my 13 multi in Nov and it only lasted less than 400 miles. The original sensor lasted 22 months and 13K miles. The dealer replaced the sensor again and it works well at this point. I had asked the tech what when wrong with the replacement sensor and he said they have no idea. That they just install what Ducati sends them. The dealer implied that replacement parts may have a 1 year warranty from Ducati.

1 - 20 of 505 Posts