Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I did the 1st post introduction about a month ago. Been lurking and shopping around for a deal on a used MTS 1200. I want a base model MTS 1200. I do not want the electric adjustable suspension and I don't care if I have ABS.

Mainly because I will be most likely buying a used bike out of warranty. I do not want any expensive issues with extra accessories that are really not "must haves" for me.

My question.. Anything specific I should be concerned about regarding the purchase of a low mileage 2010? I remember reading about some updates big Duc offered to the 2010's as a courtesy to some owners.

Thanks ahead of time,
Webby

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
As far as I'm aware, any recall issues are not warranty period related. Hopefully all those "not quite recalls but almost" which are done for free only if the owner complains would probably still apply (e.g. rear brake, fork shims, etc.)?

All ECU updates will be applied at regular services (assuming you have it done by an authorised service centre).

·
Registered
386 Posts
Be sure and compare new to used prices...these bikes haven't come down much in price on the used market, and the warranty of a new one is worth a lot of piece of mind. Something to think about. I considered used but the prices just didn't make it competitive with buying new.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I bought a used 10' at the beginning of summer with quite a few upgrades done to it. Warranty is still good till February 13' so you can still pick one up with a warranty if you look around. Only issue so far has been the front pocket not Staying closed but warranty took care of that. Look for one with some desirable upgrades and look for when the next maintenance needs to be done and consider that when purchasing, 7500 mile isn't too bad its the 15000 mile service to consider with purchase asthat will run you around $1500. Just talk to the dealer, assuming you're going through a dealer, about what to look for in future repair wise and talk to the service department about most common problems they are experiencing and watch for those when looking for a bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Advice

Lurking is a good idea.

Personally, I'd look for a 2011, and pay a little extra for it, than a 2010. I was where you are a few months ago,. and was considering a 2011 and 2010. I saved some money getting the 2010, but it's been a little bit of an adventure, and I think the later model might have been a better bet.

Be careful about riding to evaluate the bike. They ride so well that most of us just go into a trance and write a check. Check that the modes work and that the loading does too - there is a lot of trick on this bike, and some of it can go wrong. And anticipate spending money and time trying to get the windshield right - most of us do.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
Just JUMP RIGHT in and buy the first one available....
There is no magic number.
There are no issue proof years...(Guessing)

You are wasting VALUABLE RIDING TIME!!!!

You need a push ....There you go...
Just say "Wrap her up I'll Take it...
It is that easy...
There is no sure fire way to Get the one...It is a roll of the dice...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I've been shopping hard, also.

2010 standard models are commonly going for around $13k, "S" models for around $16k. Most of the really good deals I have found have been from private sellers. Dealers tend to ask top dollar for used units, and some (even with 20k miles) are asking almost new prices.

Low mileage bikes should be good to go. Ask the seller if all recalls have been done and ask for supporting documentation. If the seller doesn't have it, ask where the work was performed and contact that dealer for the documentation.

Good luck, and be sure to show us what you get!

·
Premium Member
214 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input fellas.

I will let you all know what I come up with.

WW

·
Registered
20 Posts
I purchased a used 2010 standard with small upgrades for $12k. 6k miles still under warranty until feb 2013. Just be careful if you go exhaust route. It cost me $2000 and it still not perfect. It's almost better to leave it stock. But the Ducati sound is amazing if you don't mind $$

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just be careful if you go exhaust route. It cost me $2000 and it still not perfect. It's almost better to leave it stock. But the Ducati sound is amazing if you don't mind $$
No matter how much money one throws at exhaust, the Multistrada won't sound good. The 11 degree engine is powerful and requires little maintenance, but it simply cannot sound as pleasing as the classic superbike or supersport motors. Price of progress.

·
Old Fast Guy
519 Posts
I have heard that much before. I am very pleased with the sound. It is a 90 degree twin after all.
Yeah, the Multi doesn't quite have the "big block" loping bark of the SBK, but it does sound good with the Termi cans and a tune.

Check out Redline Performance Motorsport sells, services, and repairs new, used, and preowned Ducatis, Moto Guzzis, Vespas, Aprilias, and Augustas, as well as parts and accessories. Find us conveninently located in Yorktown, Virginia, a short drive away from V for some new (well, slightly used by the Ducati Dealer training group) with reduced pricing and full factory warranty.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know about the exhaust stuff.

Well, I made a deal on one. Should be picking it up this Sat. Its a 2010 Base model, still under warranty, low miles. I do need to find some panniers down the road. I will want the extended ones. Seems like I can never have enought stuff with me.

WW

·
Registered
144 Posts
No matter how much money one throws at exhaust, the Multistrada won't sound good. The 11 degree engine is powerful and requires little maintenance, but it simply cannot sound as pleasing as the classic superbike or supersport motors. Price of progress.
I disagree. I have the 1198 and the Multi. With the stock exhaust on the Multi it does sound timid compared to the superbike. I put the full Termignoni race exhaust system without the baffle on the Multi and its bark is quite intimidating. It roars just like its big brother, only a tad softer.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I disagree. I have the 1198 and the Multi. With the stock exhaust on the Multi it does sound timid compared to the superbike. I put the full Termignoni race exhaust system without the baffle on the Multi and its bark is quite intimidating. It roars just like its big brother, only a tad softer.
The appeal of sound is subjective of course, and while I agree it's possible to make the MTS louder, to my ear the exhaust upgrades still don't give the bike the classic Ducati rumble. The MTS still ends up with a "sewing machine" sound at idle and a flat "fart-ier" sound under load:

MTS with Termi:

1098 with Termis:

·
Registered
545 Posts
The appeal of sound is subjective of course, and while I agree it's possible to make the MTS louder, to my ear the exhaust upgrades still don't give the bike the classic Ducati rumble. The MTS still ends up with a "sewing machine" sound at idle and a flat "fart-ier" sound under load:
I agree, though I've only heard the full Termi on the Multi one time. Guy pulled into my local dealer with this set up one day (full system, baffle out) and let me listen to it. Definately louder and raspier, but it didn't have that classic Ducati/Termi sound IMO. My 2010 848 with stock pipes had a better quality sound, IMO. I can see the attraction of the Termis on the Multi just to get something more than the stock sound though.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
Couldn't agree more

·
Registered
20 Posts
ImageUploadedByMO Free1348442551.766849.jpg

Are you kidding me, this thing sounds awesome. First bike I have where a tattooed Harley dude came over and said "nice bike". Bar has been raised gentleman......

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

1 - 20 of 28 Posts