Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't finish putting on the new reservoir for the rear brake yet. I'm also thinking about redoing the front brake and clutch reservoirs to bring them closer to the bars, but that will require reworking the hoses, and I'm feeling a little lazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
724 Posts
Are those reservoirs hard to change? The only worry I have is leaks during the change...

·
Official Retired Person
7,380 Posts
Those are a real improvement over stock. Looks great. I really like the sight glass in each as well. One question: Why the larger on the brake side? Was that a recommendation?

I want to change out the GT's though not Gold Anno!

·
Registered
599 Posts
ncgt, The brake side is always larger than the clutch(stock for stock) because of fluid volume. However You can put small one's on both sides as long as you watch the fluid level on the brake side. As the pads wear the level goes down. See photos I have the smallest one's on both sides for a balanced look. JS

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Oops too late info already up

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Slowerthan - I dig the reservoirs a lot. The Rizoma stuff is just so well made.

To my eye - I would flip the reservoirs 180 degrees. The pain in the a$$ and worry factor here is that you'll have to put a bend on the posts to have them sit up and out of the way. You may also want to consider having some new tubing cut due to issues you'll have requiring more length. The bending can be done easily and without worry, a pair of vice grips had mine sorted out without any scratching in just a few seconds. I managed to use the stock tubes and everything worked out fine - although fit was very tight. INMHO Moving the reservoirs will leave you with two things, 1)reservoirs less exposed to the elements, and, 2)it will tidy up the front end of your bike. This got awfully long winded...:)

Regardless - I like what you have done. Bike looks good.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, the front brake is always larger, because these units are one-directional, meaning you need to use the CT-025 for the clutch, and the CT-027 for the front brake, in order to have the window facing you, and to have the side outlet towards the center. If you want a window for the rear brake, you would use the CT-017.

Were they hard to install? Truthfully I had my mechanic do it. But it seems the installation was technically easy. However, it takes a lot of time to adjust the tab angle and height to get the reservoir exactly where you want it to look the best, and then your existing hoses won't work. Unfortunately, the mechanic squeezed me in for what we thought would be a 30 minute task, that stretched over an hour (since he was installing the billet grips too). We all got frustrated, and decided we didn't want to mess with the hoses. So the current position was just to get me out the door, and so yes, I am thinking of tweaking it. I just need to buy some hose.

My reservoirs stick out in front of the bars, whereas I have seen installations with the mounting tab pointing backwards. That looks much cleaner, and so my next step is to try to rotate the tabs, and redo the hoses.

I struggled with the color selection. I decided against the silver because they would just disappear. So it was between the gold and the black. I have a little gold on the bike with my clutch pressure plate, and the tabs on the Pazzo levers. So I went with the bolder statement. Afterall, bling is bling. But truthfully, it looked horrible with the stock mirrors. So then it was more money for the black bar ends and mirrors. But it looks okay to me now. It would look better still with the gold Ohlin forks!

·
Registered
555 Posts
well, here's another variation for you - one that has quite a balance look. I used the large reserviors but in hindsight should have used the medium size. The only change required was that I ordered the plastic elbow from the brake side to use on the clutch side. You will note that the clutch side one angles upwards whereas the brake side one has a 90 degree bend. Easy to replace, pull it out with a pair of pliers and it pops right out. The new one is just pressed in. Just have a rag to wrap around the base of it as you will drip fluid, and also be aware it might spray up when you pull it off so just wrap it in a cloth when you pull it up. whew! easy. i was able to use the existing tubing, in fact I had to shorten them. The plastic elbow rotates to be in the preferred position. At first I thought they might be screwed in, but they're not, they just pop in. I think it cost me about $12 for one from my Ducati dealer.

A couple of things to note - one window is at the front and one is at the back. No big deal because neither one is visible when you're riding the bike or off it. The reseviors themselves are not properly "upright". No big deal, they don't leak. However, I did overfill them when they first went on and I got some leakage on a hot day. No problem.... wrapped some cloth around them for a few days and the excess was absorbed.

I really really like this balanced look, particularly from the saddle. They tuck in right out of the way and fit in nicely with the handlebar line of the bike.

One other point,,,,,,why not rotate your Rizoma mirrors in (like mine) so they don't stick out as much?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Slowerthan - Was out in the garage...and snapped a photo to show what I ended up with. Think it kept the front end looking tidy, while protecting the reservoirs themselves a bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hidden Reservoirs

G'day everybody,

Just wanted to say hello and to start making a contribution to this excellent forum.

In my opinion the reservoirs are bit of an eye sore and detract from the attractive lines of the head assy.

I have attached a few photos of what I did with my bike if you’re interested. The two brackets were initially time consuming to manufacture but weren’t difficult in the end.

My initial concern was in regard to the placement of the reservoir below the master cylinder, however talking to a mate of mind who has carried out a similar modification to his stunt bike (for protection purposes when he has a tumble), I bled the system in the original position and then placed the reservoirs on the modified brackets.

I haven’t had any bleed issues i.e. spongy brakes since the mod approximately 12 months ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
Gareth,
a very interesting idea - with excellent results. Like what you've done!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Brilliant! And my flyscreen would completely hide them.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
G'day everybody,

Just wanted to say hello and to start making a contribution to this excellent forum.

In my opinion the reservoirs are bit of an eye sore and detract from the attractive lines of the head assy.

I have attached a few photos of what I did with my bike if you’re interested. The two brackets were initially time consuming to manufacture but weren’t difficult in the end.

My initial concern was in regard to the placement of the reservoir below the master cylinder, however talking to a mate of mind who has carried out a similar modification to his stunt bike (for protection purposes when he has a tumble), I bled the system in the original position and then placed the reservoirs on the modified brackets.

I haven’t had any bleed issues i.e. spongy brakes since the mod approximately 12 months ago.
I too would have worried about the lack of gravity support affecting the pull on the brake/clutch, but what an interesting solution from a looks perspective. very creative.

·
Registered
242 Posts
nice, i wonder if that would work with the gauge lay back mod, or if they would need to be repositioned?

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Gareth, that's bitchin, best thing I've seen yet as those resi's stick out like a sore thumb even if you dress them up (rizoma's).
Now if you tucked the Rizoma's in...Hmmm.
:think:

·
Registered
300 Posts
How many miles have you put on the bike sense moving the reservoirs this low? How aggressive has your riding been, especially on the brakes? I'm interested in seeing what is keeping the fluid that is in the line from following the line down by gravity and filling up the reservoir, and being replaced by air. A simple bump seems like all it would take.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I wanted my Rizoma Reservoirs more inboard, so just faced the outlet of the reservoir in the same direction as the union and did a 180 degree loop with the tubing.
And on the other end of the left side is a new Evoluzione clutch slave. Hoping to replace the front brakes with Brembo 4 pots later this winter.
That's my bling. And to balance it out, I'm de-blinging some of the other bling. The Speedymoto clutch plate, timing pulley covers and front sprocket cover are having the black and gold anodizing removed and will now have a natural brushed finish. Not a whole lot of chrome to get rid of now...cam covers and rear sets will probably remain chromed though as I don't want to spend any more money on bling.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts