Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No, its not a Ducati this time. I thought I would stir the pot showing you my new different kind of streetfighter, the Buell 1125CR. I figured after I did the research on this model, where could I go wrong buying a nice new bike with 146HP and Austrian built Rotax V-Twin for $6,100?

Actually the last edition of Sport Rider gave it high marks in a comparison with the Duc Streetfighter, even at the old MSRP. I even replicated their recommended suspension settings and the bike is very impressive. Lots of fun is the main thing, being totally exposed to the elements. Ergos are very good because mine already had the upgraded handlebars installed. This was a $500 option at the dealer so without it I could have bought the bike for around $5,600. Its very strong and unique in many ways, I think its introduction signaled a new path for Buell Motorcycles, but it got to market to little to late.

Miniscule aftermarket products for the bike compared to the Ducati, frustrating for me since I like to personalized my bikes. There are some carbon bits available from just about one source, it doesn't need a clutch upgrade since it has a slipper type clutch. Rearsets are limited apparently to pegs, but there is a fair selection of exhausts to choose from. Theres an outside possibility I can score a BST rear wheel, but the front will likely be either stock or something else since there are issues there. My source also indicated there doesn't appear to be a front BST made because of the stock wheel design. The Buell has a single 375mm rotor and a single hugh six piston caliper.
Otherwise finding light weight wheels sounds next to impossible, especially now with the low numbers and the fact its discontinued.

Attachments

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
I always thought it was a bit odd to put the touring bags up front. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I almost bought one of these when the price dropped to $5K. Looking back, I'm so glad I was able to resist the temptation. It's a decent enough bike, but it just wasn't for me....I'm usually a sucker for those 1/2 price sales too......

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always thought it was a bit odd to put the touring bags up front. :)
Thats funny, because when I looked to inspect the radiator, it wasn't in the usual spot. I soon learned there are dual radiators and dual fans in those two big scoops. A feature I found interesting was the fact the fans remain on for a minute or so after you turn off the ignition, especially when its hot out. I've felt Ducati should have had that feature like in cars because they can get super hot, but then I thought the electrical system probably couldn't handle it.

In the CR model the two scoops actually promote that sinister look reputation coupled with the droopy headlight, kind of resembles a Praying Mantis.

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I almost bought one of these when the price dropped to $5K. Looking back, I'm so glad I was able to resist the temptation. It's a decent enough bike, but it just wasn't for me....I'm usually a sucker for those 1/2 price sales too......
This was the first 1/2 price sale on a new bike I could ever recall, were there more? I'll tell you what, its an impressive machine and not because I bought it, with many bikes I would pass even at 1/2 price. I think I lucked out because its better than I anticipated and I always had a desire to pick up a streetfighter type bike like a Speed Triple.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice bike, I actually just sold my buell and picked up my first Duc. Unfortunately resale on those bikes are in the gutter, especially since buell went under. Sometimes I miss my buell, but it doesnt seem to compare to the Duc. Good luck and congrats on the new bike, Buells are alot of fun.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I would be curious just how the CR stacks up against a 999 or 1098 in a straight line street drag. I was passing time on You Tube last night watching a bunch of home vids of street drags of the 1098 v. R1, CBR and GSXRs.....I was shocked to see the 1098 w/ full Termi's get beaten like a rented mule in a street drag! I mean that's not what the bike was designed for, but that's how the majority of them are ridden. It was shocking, in one race a 2007 CBR 1000 trounced a new 1098 !.....doesn't say much for the 999.:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
i also bought a new 09 1125cr. 5621.40 otd price. It is an amazing bike. I was gonna buy a new monster in the spring, but i could not let these go. If you have not ridden one, you are missing out. It is REALLY that good. I see alot of Ducati guys now with these so i am not the only one! Shame really, if these were 8k, Harley would have sold alot...better, if they had a better dealer grouping(not harley dealers)) the brand wopuld not have failed. The products are outstanding

·
Registered
535 Posts
i also bought a new 09 1125cr. 5621.40 otd price. It is an amazing bike. I was gonna buy a new monster in the spring, but i could not let these go. If you have not ridden one, you are missing out. It is REALLY that good. I see alot of Ducati guys now with these so i am not the only one! Shame really, if these were 8k, Harley would have sold alot...better, if they had a better dealer grouping(not harley dealers)) the brand wopuld not have failed. The products are outstanding
I have a Buell XB12R, and although lacking brute power like the newer ones have, I love that bike to death.
It is different then a Ducati, but riding, it brings a grin on my face even bigger then when i ride a Duc.
Congratulations on your new bike, you indeed can't go wrong with that one!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would be curious just how the CR stacks up against a 999 or 1098 ...
The difference in power between the 1125 and 1098 is like night and day. There is really no comparison at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts