Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 base I am going to sell or trade in. Sat on the '18 S and fell in love with it BUT I found a 2017 demo that I may be getting a smoking deal on. Should I stick with the '18 or is there not much a difference to save the money and go with a '17? The only differences I know of are the quick shifter, 1260 motor. I JUST started looking so any help or opinions would be appreciated! Also, anyone looking for a 2011 multi for a good price, let me know.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If the option is available then I would choose the 1260. Although it’s a little less nimble than the ‘17(hearing this from various reviews) it’s better in every other way. The display has a new layout which I feel is way better than the old, engine has been tuned better, the seat is more comfortable.... some of things I can think of.

·
31 Posts
I would recommend the '18 1260. I own a '17 MTS 1200S and love it, but test rode a 1260 last week.

The quick shift alone is almost worth the upgrade! It was incredibly smooth shifting up like a MotoGP rider. I did not like the downshift as much, but that is my opinion.

The 1260 engine is smoother than the 1200. I really do not notice what people call a flat spot on the 1200 because I'm usually riding above 4K rpm, but the 1260 is a powerful silky engine.

The extra wheelbase provides more stability. I did not ride it hard on any twisty roads, but I do not think it is that great an impact. It might not wheelie as good with the extra length.

Good luck.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Every version of the MTS since the 1200 in 2010 has been an evolutionary upgrade, as opposed to a revolutionary one. If the cost of the 2017 model is substantially discounted, that might be a hard decision. I ended up with a 2018 S model, but tend to keep my bikes for awhile and so cost isn't a huge factor.

Having ridden the 2015-2017 bikes numerous times, and with ~1500 miles on the '18, to me the biggest difference is that the '18 doesn't need anything. It doesn't need Tuneboy, or Termis, it doesn't need a quickshifter, or cruise. It's a complete bike, out of the crate. It gives you almost no good reason to tinker with it, and I have mixed feelings about that. I've never left a bike as stock as I will likely leave this one.

Most accessories are interchangeable between the 2015-2017 bikes and the 1260, if that matters. I put Evotech rad/oil cooler guards for a 2015 on mine without any trouble.

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,830 Posts
I'd go with the 2018 no questions asked. Enough has already been said about the bike. I'll say there is a *slight* handling difference b/w my 2014 and the 2018 1260 but it's so good in every other way I think you'd adapt to any perceived/noticeable differences.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
When I had to replace my 2011 Multi, I was torn between a new leftover 2014 GT and a brand new 1260. I went the 1260 route. I would have been entirely happy with the 2014 GT, and I would have saved about 7k. So why did I go the 1260 route?

1) I could buy the new bike from my local dealership rather than driving 400 miles to get the 2014
2) The 1260 doesn't just fall into corners like the 2011, but feels better when you're in the turn
3) Less stuff to do: no Tuneboy for lower RPMs and cruise, sprocket change not really required (but I still may do), windscreen doesn't need immediately replacement, etc.
4) the seat height is lower, which was a big plus for me
5) the gigantic enduro panniers fit

If budget was my main concern, I definitely would have went with the leftover bike, and sometimes I think about when I check my bank balance....but overall I'm glad I chose the 1260.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts