Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums and didn't see a post on this so I decided to open one; if this is old news now, appologies.

I was reading an article over on Mike Mullen's (???) site about how he set belt tension - Mike mentioned a service bulliten reguarding new belt tension specifications for most Ducs.

http://home.comcast.net/~mmullen38/Beltadjust.html

I was curious so I wrote DNA and asked for a copy. They were actually very helpful and while they didn't provide me a copy (something about not being part of the dealer network) they did send me a digital snip of the important part. I'm attaching it below for reference. In my case this is quite different then my original shop manual - 140Hz. This is pretty much all I have, no idea what the footnotes the astrisks refer to.

I'm not going to try to interpret this for anyone, but for all the guitar tuner belt tension setters out there 110Hz is A2, 70Hz more or less D2 and G2 is about 98Hz.

Attachments

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
How It Happened

Some Ducati Service Manuals and other documentation erroneously specify that 140Hz should be used rather than 110 Hz. Wrong. 140Hz is the frequency to to use while degreeing cams. The tension is then supposed to be reduced back down to the 110 Hz spec before starting the engine.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
I'd be very cool if one of the site sponsors could update us with the text associated with the asterisks.

My pure assumption would be that they define the location for the microphone. Just speculation though.

BTW, thanks a ton rallystar. I re-posted this over at another local board.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
140Hz is the frequency to to use while degreeing cams. The tension is then supposed to be reduced back down to the 110 Hz spec before starting the engine.
Shazaam, Thanks for all your great posts, but would you please point out where it states the 140Hz requirement for timing? My service manual ('05 749s) doesn't reference that anywhere. Also, anyone know the correlation between belt tension and cam degree? For example, if tension was set at 140Hz, then what is the offset in degrees when set back to 110Hz?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
My local Tech said 110hz new belt and 85hz whenever re-tensioning belt per DNA's new specs for all bikes. He also said 70-75hz just leave it alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts