Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paid $260 USD for these gloves in December. I've got maybe a dozen rides on them and there's a hole in the left thumb/palm area and threads are coming out on the right thumb and one of the fingers. I store them indoors when not in use.

I've always worn Dianese Carbon 3 gloves in the past and they've lasted a number of years. But I figured the A-stars would provide more protection, read some decent reviews and thought I'd give them a go.

Anyone else encounter this with A-stars gloves? I can't say they inspire any confidence if they're already falling apart after a few rides. The fit is off a bit, as well. The right glove fits fine, but the wrist on the left is much tighter for some reason, making it difficult to get them on and off.
Photograph Sports gear White Glove Black
Shoe Outdoor shoe Grey Synthetic rubber Walking shoe

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Get in touch with wherever you bought the gloves. Have THEM contact Alpinestar on your behalf. I’ve talked to their National Reps before, they’ll do what they can to make it right.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Gloves are a very personal choice. The point is, @[email protected] has an issue with his current pair of A-stars. Just because you haven’t had an issue with yours doesn’t help him with recourse for his failed gloves.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have the same gloves and the stitching came apart on the back side of the thumb in a similar area... I had to pay shipping to them for warranty and they did a half ass stitch job that I could have done after 7 shots of tequila and a 6 pack of beer. I had these gloves less than a year, and less than half a riding season was put on them.
Glove Gesture Sleeve Grey Bicycle glove
Grey Wood Personal protective equipment Artifact Human leg

I have a ton of alpinstars gear but this is the last thing I buy from them. Total bullshit.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to pay shipping to them for warranty and they did a half ass stitch job that I could have done after 7 shots of tequila and a 6 pack of beer.
That made me laugh. Not at your misfortune, but the tequila and beer part.

I'm pretty shocked they didn't just send you a new pair. I could see a sh1tty repair on an sub-$100 pair of gloves, but at this price I would certainly expect better.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, all. I reached out to Ducati Omaha, where I bought them. We'll see what they say and where things go.
Ducati Omaha has been a solid vendor in my experience. Top notch. Alpinestars... well that is a different story.

I'm pretty shocked they didn't just send you a new pair. I could see a sh1tty repair on an sub-$100 pair of gloves, but at this price I would certainly expect better.
So am I. The guy I dealt with really didn't seem to give a shit. There was no apology or anthing. Wham bam thank you ma'am. Now stop bothering me.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Too bad Helimot basically packed it up, and went bye-bye. My last pair of F-108's lasted me nine-years (and, I rode about everyday).

Just got a pair of Lee Parks Design, Deer Sports. Will take them for a spin, soon.

Good gloves are about impossible to find.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m not a huge fan of A stars. For gloves, its got to be Held.
I tried some Held gloves in the shop -I think they were the Air Stream 3's or the Evo-Thrux and compared them to the Dianese's at the same price point. The Held's were kind of chunky and didn't fit as well. The Phantom's look amazing, but I'm hesitant to pay a premium because my hands sweat a lot and I do encounter some weather, so I figure a 3-year lifespan.

The challenge is always fit. And then, determining what level of protection is actually afforded. I thought the A-stars would be a significant level up, but at this point I'm definitely not impressed. I may give the Held's another look.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Gloves are a very personal choice. The point is, @[email protected] has an issue with his current pair of A-stars. Just because you haven’t had an issue with yours doesn’t help him with recourse for his failed gloves.
It’s very nice of you to say what the OP does or does not need to hear.

Instead of waiting for your clarification of what someone else needs, I took the crazy approach of actually answering the direct question asked:
“Anyone else encounter this with A-stars gloves?”

When dealing with quality issues gathering data points from other consumers is useful. If a lot of folks are having issues with a brand, then I just want my money back or exchange for another brand. If a lot of folks are having issues with this one product, but the brand is otherwise solid, then I’ll probably exchange for another product from the same brand if something suitable is available. If no one else seems to be having issues with brand or product, then I will likely assume it was just bad luck and exchange for same product.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the gloves. Its worth noting that the market for fake Alpinestars gloves is huge. Perhaps you purchased yours from a reputable dealer, but those who make the fake gloves are getting better at it at least from an aesthetic point of view. I purchased a known fake pair of Alpinestars GP Pro gloves and the stitching came undone on one finger within a couple of weeks. But I compared pictures of authentic gloves to mine and it was nearly impossible to tell the difference.

If you are in the market for other options, I recently picked up a pair of RST tractech gloves from sportbike track gear.com. They are very impressive for the price. They offer great protection but somehow are also very comfortable. When I need new gloves again, it will be difficult for me to go with anything else than another pair.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
@[email protected] if you are now considering other brands of gloves, have a look at RS Taichi. I’ve been wearing their gloves for a number of years now. No failures at all. I’ve tried others in the mean time and the only ones to have come close are from IXS.

I have generally stayed away from A-Stars because they don’t seem to fit me well. One finger is always too long compared to the others. So 4 fingers fit well, but one is floppy. I have similar issues with Dainese, only it’ll be one finger is too short and binds when I brake or clutch. I don’t have that issue with either RS Taichi or IXS.

Haven’t touched a pair of Helds in a long time. Been looking at a pair for this winter though. As I wrote before, gloves are a very personal preference. What one person absolutely swears by, others won’t even give a second look. Some is based in experience. Some is a built in bias for a brand because a friend or relative had a bad experience with that brand.

People like what they like for their own reasons. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I’ve had a couple pairs of Phantoms when I raced, they held up really well. I’ve had a pair of Held Airs for several years that just continue to get better with age. I recently bought some Held 2-1’s for colder wet riding that work great. As far as sizing, they do have the long versions you can order. In my experience, a bit of a tight fitting held breaks in nicely. And the Kangaroo palm gloves are top notch. I think you just have to find the pair that speaks to you. The Phantoms are definitely my favorite for sport riding, but they are a bit much for the street. I never wear them anymore since I gave up track riding.

I’ve had several other brands in the past, I used to have an online store that sold motorcycle gear several years ago. A lot of popular brands out there dont hold up well, especially with a crash.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...if you are now considering other brands of gloves, have a look at RS Taichi.
I'm definitely open to other brands, but for the most part I've decided against buying any gear that I can't try on first. It's just too much of a PITA. Which means I have to travel 1 hour down the interstate to get a decent selection and even then it's limited to the bigger brands. The closest RS-Taichi dealer is 120 miles from me. I'll definitely swing by if I'm in the area, but that won't be any time soon.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’ve had a pair of Held Airs for several years that just continue to get better with age. I recently bought some Held 2-1’s for colder wet riding that work great. As far as sizing, they do have the long versions you can order. In my experience, a bit of a tight fitting held breaks in nicely. And the Kangaroo palm gloves are top notch.
Which Airs? I'm finding Phantom Air, Air N Dry, and Air Stream. Interesting note about kangaroo leather; Ducati Omaha informed me that the A-stars I bought were a newer version for the US, because sale of kangaroo leather is/was banned in the US.

I’ve had several other brands in the past, I used to have an online store that sold motorcycle gear several years ago. A lot of popular brands out there dont hold up well, especially with a crash.
And therein lies the rub; most reviews are based on form, fit, function and value. Most reviews don't include a crash report. The Lee Parks Designs that @SoCalDuc mentions look very nice, but don't appear to have any armor, sliders, etc., which gives me pause. But maybe they'd outperform what I ended up with. I have no idea. I thought my Dianese's were pretty good until I read a couple of bad crash reviews...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts