Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
All the rotary burrs have arrived and a couple of days of hand machining has opened up the ports a little and removed all the imperfections and lumps in the port walls

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Gas

And so it begins...

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Steering part Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Rough porting almost completed. I like to make the radius from the valve down into the port area as shallow as i can, especially around where the valve guide sits. I run the shorter valve guides from Av&V so you don't have to get carried away trying to open the ports up.

Motor vehicle Machine Nut Rim Engineering

On the intakre side it is pretty much the same but I open it up slightly over the whole port. Again I pay attention to where the valve guide sits and I try and put a nicer radius into the port. I leave the tooling marks from the bur as the final finish.

Automotive tire Rim Gas Motor vehicle Machine

As much as I would like to be able to weld up a couple of parts in the head so that I can get more material in the right places leading into and after the valve guide this will have to do as I can afford to send these of the JPrecision for them to do it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Bumper Automotive design Gas Automotive tire Engineering

Made the hugger up out of straight carbon and vinylester resin a couple of days ago and decided to pull it out of the mould this afternoon.

Automotive tire Hat Bumper Automotive design Automotive lighting

Came out pretty good so will lay up anther one for the other bike that I have here.

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design Fender Automotive exterior

At last I have cracked to problem that I was having making the epoxy/Eglass seats. one small patch that caused an issue but I have already made adjustments for the next one so that it comes out perfect.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Sitting on my other bike, I will make the mounts for it next week.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Automotive lighting Helmet Hood Motor vehicle Idiophone

And then there were two. I have a third one in the mould that I did last night and will stop there for the moment - I have the other piece yet to make up and these are a bit tricky to make as it has the mount on it for the chain guard.

Bicycle part Water Wood Rim Automotive tire

I have had this sitting off to one side for a while but the frame was cracked and I made up the repair pieces for it some time ago but lost the brace material. Found that so have finished off all the parts for this and prepared it ready for welding.

Wood Musical instrument Steering wheel Steering part Wind instrument

Finished shaping everything correctly now just need to weld the brace into position on the tube patches before welding the attachment nuts for the tank clamp and then I will carefully weld the patches onto the frame. This one is going to stay like this as I will be fitting either a custom airbox or a set of pod filters on the carbs. Still don't know which carbs I will be using, looking very much likely that they will be Smart carbs If I can get them to work.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Moving onto the seat supports I managed to get the front ones done using conventional vacuum bagging technique to save a bit of time. Did a second set after these as well as the rear supports and they managed to stick in the moulds and have damaged them getting the finished supports out. Error on my part but that been said not an issue as the damage is in non critical areas. will be moving onto the first of the carbon seats to be done in this batch of bits tomorrow.

Wood Table Desk Bag Box

Conventional bagging been used for these - this is the last set that will be done this way as I have run out of all the materials to do it. Have decided to stick to the resin infussion for everything to cut down on stock.

Gas Engineering Plastic wrap Composite material Plastic

Came out ok but the next set that I did after this was a different story. Managed to stick in the mould and damaged it a bit in the process of getting them out. Error on my part but not an issue as it is areas that get trimmed and glassed over when they get fitted.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hand tool Gas Metalworking hand tool Wood Auto part

Popped this out of the mould from the other day.
Fluid Automotive tire Hood Gas Auto part

Had a little bit of leftover resin that I mixed with some finely cut carbon scraps and then back filled the mount.

Wood Automotive tire Gas Composite material Machine

A layer of carbon to cap it off and a layer of pee ply to finish it.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts