Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just secured a replacement bike for the 750 to bring back to life. This time around I have a reasonable condition, low mileage, 900 half fairing model that is missing a couple of parts. This one is going to get the full carbon treatment with a solo seat. So in anticipation of it arriving in a couple of weeks, I have started the process of replacing all the components that I have the moulds for as of today. Started the moulding process for the front guard and rear hugger which I will infuse tomorrow as long as some bagging materials turn up today. Not sure of the paint scheme for this one but I may start the first of the red frame tri colour schemes that I have been pondering on for the past couple of weeks. Red frame and front fairings, white tank and green single seat with accents of exposed carbon everywhere.

·
Registered
2001 S4, 2000 750ie Sport
240 Posts
After seeing your thread on the immola conversion I'll follow this one keenly.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
As with everything you do, I expect this to be exceptional

Reactions: daiku

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Now this'll be good! 😎

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally have the bag material in hand for the infusion to carry on with while I wait for the bike to physically turn up in the next couple of days. Have completed the infusion of a new front guard and the first half of both the tank (lower) and the rear hugger. I have a couple of other things to get out of the way so things wuill now be parked in the sun to cure while I complete the other half of the hugger and get a couple of other little projects out of the way for others.

First part of the rear hugger done.

Underside of the tank completed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
How thick do you make your fibre glass molds?
Just 1 layer of chopped mat or more?
I figured that 1 layer wouldn't be strong enough.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Missing a couple parts?
You know, a couple usually means 2. ;)

Anyway. Carry on. (y)
[/QUOTE
Yeah when I first looked at it it was just the tank assembly and the key was missing. there is a box of all the fairing parts that I did not post. I know that thera are a heap of fasteners that are missing as well but not to worry, I have plenty of spares from my other bike to use.
Top pic is the hugger, bottom is the bottom of the tank.
Correct.
How thick do you make your fibre glass molds?
Just 1 layer of chopped mat or more?
I figured that 1 layer wouldn't be strong enough.
I make them 4-5mm thick using tooling resin and tooling gelcoat - once they are made you can heatthem up with no distortion.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Debagged every thing today and will remove from the moulds tomorrow once the peel ply and manifold materials have been removed. Also started the first of the carbon single seats. This one is not for this bike but another one that is been built up. The laying down of the first layers of carbon are a bit different to what i would normally do. This one is going to be painted so the orientation of the carbon for an exposed number on the white back ground had me change so that it runs down the bike parallel to the ground. Also on the go is the making of the plugs for the seat foam blocks. I have been looking at different types of pourable foams and have one been specifically made for my application by a company in Auckland that wishes to remain anonymous. My new ex old stock items that i bought a while ago have all been pulled apart and I have come up with a simple way of making some quick moulds of them for the manufacture of a set of hard plugs. Eventually I will have these for sale at some stage once I have sorted out the moulding system. even worked out how to make a gel seat insert as part of the seat pad but that's another thread at some stage.

Carbon laid out and ready for cutti g. Light coat of spray tack applied to hold it all together while been cut.

Multiple layer of different carbon cloths and weights in and debulked ready for peel ply.

Peel ply....

all bagged up and ready for infusion.

Just waiting for the resin to degas before opening up the taps.

Not a good shot but in gobies the resin. Takes about ten minutes to infuse at the moment. it is a pretty good temperature at the moment 19 degrees c ( 66F)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
De moulding day. I have a full brace of parts all laminated and ready for demoulding . The weather has played the game today and I have been able to get all the components out of the moulds in one piece and all the peel ply off with out cutting my hands to ribbons. Just an issue with the front guard in that I did not apply enough clear gelcoat onto it when I sprayed it but apart from that everything is out of the moulds and curing in the sun. The single seat unit has come out near perfect, very light but even at this stage it is pretty stiff.

First half of the mould off.

Couple of tense moments getting the other half off but off it came.

Tank base ready for the same treatment.

Removing this from the mould is always a tense moment due to the shape of it you have to be careful not to inadvertently fold it in half and destroy it in the process. All has worked out this time.

All the bits out of the moulds and curing in the sun.
Will now prepare the moulds again to be sprayed with gelcoat tomorrow weather permitting.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A pinched nerve in my shoulder has slowed me down but is starting to come right again. Managed to get the bike all but stripped down over the last couple of days Lucky I made the decision to do so - frame paint work is in a right state. Everywhere that there was an electrical plug there was rust behind it. Look at the front head stem area and there are a couple of cracks from the tank mounts. Nowhere as bad as my other bike but bad enough. But the list does not end there
Both fork legs are pitted and leaking badly.
Broken side stand mount on the engine case.
Chain and sprockets need to be replaced
Rear swing arm has a couple of loose threadserts in it - one of the bolts wont come off and one of the pivot pinch bolts has been damaged by the sprocket and wont come off either..
Both side fairings are badly broken.
the indicators and top screen are missing.
Main power wired look like they have been hot at some stage due to a crap connection where they going plug into the main harness.
Front guard looks like it is off another bike , but is stuffed anyway.

After spraying copious amounts of degreaser over the entire bike, a quick water blast revealed more than I was hoping for.

Broken side stand mount and damaged pinch bolt.

On the bright side the engine oil that I dropped out of it was pretty clean and there was no bits on the screen filter. Quick check of the electrics and everything seems to be working, the switches are all in good condition.

So plan now is to strip the paint off as much as I can, inspect and replate all the fasteners, repair, replace recoat where required while blinging it out on the way. Make sure that this bike is all good for the new owner, whoever it may be.

·
Registered
240 Posts
With that list of issues its just as well you like playing with bikes.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With that list of issues its just as well you like playing with bikes.
I much prefer to ride them around the place especially now the weather is playing the game
But the list of things to address continues.
Heads set bearings need replacing.
one of the rear wheel bearings is shot.
Oil filter won't come off - over tightened

Have not looked at the engine as yet but I need to clear a patch on my work bench today so that I can get the engine up on the bench but before that can happen I need to make two engine stands - one for this engine and one for my one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just woke up after doing a 12 hour day at work and will start again in 4 hours.
Probably working Sunday too.
I think my next ride will wind off being a Xmas present from me to me.
Ironicly till 5 weeks ago I was sick of riding every day in peak hour.
A new job changed that.
Such is life.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Back into it in the new year. Engine is all but disassembled from the 900 Supersport and ready for removal of all the paint. Had to make a quick stand for the engine while I pulled it apart. Have another two to make for building yup the engines on the bench but this one can have the whole bike assembled on it rather than me use the engine stand that I modified. Main problem with the engine has been seal and gasket leakage from various parts. Big one was the main cases have been leaking and the output shaft seal has been exposed to something very hot at some stage which damaged the seal. Also found was leakage from the two seal in the inner clutch case. Apart from that there are a couple of other seals and bearings that need to be replaced but internally the main components are like new. Lucky I did not try to start it though - horizontal belt literally feel apart in my hands as I was removing it and three out of four of the cam shaft bearings were stuffed as well.

Carbon parts are going to be started tomorrow, I have the rear hugger already laminated, just need to trim and bond together. Steel parts are all separated out and all the engine cases have been initially inspected and laid out for pickup/blasting. All the fasteners are soaking in some petrol to loosen up all the crap on them before I clean them up for replateing. Fairings are all but ready for repair, I have been over them to identify what damage needs to be ground out initially. I like to create a repair that is bonded from both sides of the original fairing and all the cracks are ground completely out. Been able to have a tapered repair laminated from both sides makes for a seamless repair once it is all laminated and cured.

This is a seat for someone else that I need to finish but the next one is destined for this bike - decided to give it the full Monty carbon treatment.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
This is a seat for someone else that I need to finish but the next one is destined for this bike - decided to give it the full Monty carbon treatment.
Nice!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rear hugger is the first of the carbon parts to be built for this bike. I will do the front guard and start the seat mounts latter today.

All drilled and the glueing faces have all been sanded for a perfect fit. I use the rear swing arm as a jig to hold it in the perfect position while the initial bonding is done for correct allignment.

All done, now just need to wait 24hrs for it to cure enough for me to carry on. Will be removed, sanded and then placed back on the swing arm ready for layers of carbon over the joint to make sure it all holds together.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So while I was build another front guard this morning I was looking at the aluminium swing arm that I have for my bike that has a new chain still fitted to it. Then I remembered that I also have a new front and rear sprocket fitted to the carrier for the wider rear rim that I have which in turn has a new set of tires fitted that I no longer require. Do I fit them to the CR or not? Hmmmmm Will have to think hard about this.

While the front guard was going through the infusion process I had another thought for the non adjustable front forks fitted to the bike. The lowers and the outer fork tubes are in mint condition but I need to replace the chrome fork tubes which I can get. But as far as the internals are concerned do I change the springs and give them a full service or go full Monty on them with a fully adjustable modification from Nitron or Andreani. More food for thought.

Anyway, getting back to reality now the rear hugger is all but completed now just a couple of bits on the mounting face to sand down so it sits properly on the swing arm. Front guard is infused and I have the seat mounts all ready for peel ply and the rest of the materials for infusion. This gets done tomorrow while I lay up the last of the carbon seats - will be returning to the glass seats for the next couple as I have a new type of gelcoat to use that works better with epoxy.

I love the look of these.

These things just make the rear swingarm assembly look so much better than the original plastic ones.

Finished this one off with a layer of thickened resin to make it less likely to hold any road crap on it.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
As usual, beautiful work - that will look awesome on the bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts