Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
With the rain coming and going this morning I managed to get the main fairings outside to be trimmed up . Just as I was about to start it rained again so a slight delay until I could it outside between showers. Just managed to start sanding and it stopped working. Motor is spinning but the drive to the sanding pad was nowhere to be seen. Quick break down of the bottom and a stripped thread on the fan that drives the sanding pad has stripped out - crap, just what I did not need at this stage of the game. Part is now three days away from getting here

On a lighter note my fuel filter has cleared NZ customs and should be here latter in the week. School work has been a bit easier to get through as opposed to the last course but I am sure it will ramp up as we go. Bumped into a familiar face, Kevin Delacey who used to work for Resene but has changed camps and now pedals PPg products. Had a bit of a look around there shop here in Palmerston North. Big advantage with these guys is that that they are open on Saturday mornings for the enthusiast where resene Automotive is not. Looks like I might be making a switch to PPg products for all my paint as I use up what I have at the moment. Not something I thought I would ever do having used DuPont for the last 30 plus years for everything.

Quick sand and almost ready for primer - bit more sanding and drilling of the holes yet to be done.

Half way through the process of taking the gloss of the top coat with 400# abrasive paper and the sander has stopped working.

Stripped down the bottom half of the sander and the fault has been found - a stripped thread in the fan housing is allowing the motor to spin inside it freely. Bugger. Now have top wait for the new part to turn up.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
you will love the PPG paint -you can just about spray it on with a fire hose & it will lay out great

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have done a lot of training in the past with PPg Automotive and have used there aerospace products for years when in the air force. I went away from there products when we had an issue with them in the air force that left a lot to be desired, cost them dearly unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
that kind of thing happens from time to time but I am no painter I dont claim to be --But I can even shoot PPG and it looks good lol

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So last couple of day I have been struck down with a recurring back issue. Only way I could get any relief was to either sit in a hot bath and try and relax or sit hunched over the bike - honestly. So I have been a little bit behind where I wanted to be and have been unable to paint the fairings. Did manage to get all the holes drilled and the bulk of the sanding done. Have a small bit of filler to add to the lower fairings but I have managed to get 2 x fnt guards ready and the hugger for clear coat. Hope to be able to get them out of the way tomorrow, weather pending. Main fairings will hopefully be ready to prime tomorrow as well.

Managed to get some titanium stuff today as well. Unfortunately not all the stuff that I had hoped would arrive but some much needed bits none the less. Swapped out my old rotor retainers and fitted the new titanium ones which had to be made to my specifications/design because I wanted torq drives rather than the standard Allen hex drive. These are going to be supplied as standard for the complete discs sets but as with everything that I am making they will be available for sale. Also got the calliper bolts for the Brembo callipers that I have . Thought yeah I would fit them to the ones on the 750SS and found out pretty quickly that they are different to the billet callipers - 5mm longer in fact was a surprise. So they are now available of those that want to upgrade. I also have more rear wheel adjusters available.

Time to get it outside and give it a wash. Decided to take it for a spin around the section to test the brake and clutch - managed to get it bogged down and ended up wheel spinning mud everywhere in the process. Sounds good though....

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I managed to get in and replace the corroded fasteners of my spare set of billet Brembo callipers that I have. I drew up the design for replacement titanium fasteners and fitted them last night for something to do. They look so much better than the originals but I hit a snag when I then decided hey I will fit them to the callipers for the 750 to bling it up a bit - not a chance. The bolts on the callipers that are fitted to the bike are 5mm longer than the ones fitted to the billet callipers. Something else that caught me by surprise on the billet callipers was the use of copper based grease on the threads rather than loctite.

Weather was good enough for me to get out and do a small amount of clear coating before the wind got up, spoiling the rest of yesterday. One rear hugger and a couple of older front guards that I was going to dispose of for various reasons mostly excessive pin holes everywhere but they will do for what I need them for. Also going over the moulds and applying the release compound on them in anticipation of gelcoat application latter this week once my carbon cloth turns up.

Quick cup of coffee and an early morning start to get the front guard and the rear hugger in place. They look way better than the originals ever did. I have also been through the front end wiring to find a missing connector for the white wire off the rectifier - cannot find it anywhere. However I did find a loose earth connection that needed a couple of washes to fix the problem after the lights started flickering when I was moving things around under the gauges. Looks like the fastener was removed at some stage and was tightened back up minus the correct washes. All fixed now so one less headache to contend with down the track

Polished up the front screen with the machine polisher, tidied up the rubber beed along the edge as well as fitting the front head light seal and last but not least I have fitted a set of weighted Driven black bar ends which pretty much completes everything that needs to be done minus the fairinings.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Last couple of days has been taken up with a bit of painting, sanding and polishing. Bike is all but completed I just need to replace the threaded inserts for the ducts in the fairing. Spent most of today sanding, polishing and assembly of the fairings and doing last minute checks prior to compliance that is booked in for Friday. I have changed the front wheel back to the original disc setup just to make sure that it gets through the compliance but will change it back to the floating setup. Came up pretty good overall, couple of small bits that could have been better but someone is going to get a very nice bike. Another one saved…

Sanding everything that needs to be repaired.

All painted and ready for sanding and polishing.

Sanded with 1200# and getting ready for the 2000# before polishing.

Top screen finished and on the bike foe the first time since repair. I have also fitted a set of Driven bar weights to the bars to finish it off better.

New Welnuts and the indicator has also had a threadsert up grade.

All back together and ready for action. I have refitted the original discs for compliance reasons. Will refit my 3 piece disc and wheel when I get back from the compliance.

Looks awesome all back together and ready for action.

All ready for compliance.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Wow, always amazing to see a pro at work with repairs on fairings and such!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It's alive - the 750 SS is all road legal and useable. Bit of drama getting it onto the trailer and managed to put a large scratch in the lower portion of one of the fairings but it can only be seen if you remove the fairing. Flying through the compliance when the unthinkable happened. An electrical short in a wire up around the dash was causing the electrics to completely cut out. A quick look and a rerouting of the cables solved the issue for the moment. Compliance done and the plate fitted, it was time to get it out on the road. Quick ride on the open road and pulled into one of the local bike shops for a coffee and quick check over of the bike. Chain oiler is working well, in fact I had turned it right up to get a flow of oil going so there was a bit of excess oil around the front sprocket cover and down onto the side stand mount.

Once home the bike had the front wheel changed back to the original one with my discs on it. In the process of changing it over I somehow managed to tweak the starter button and the conical spring inside it disappeared. Did not realise it until I decided to check out the light settings with a night ride. Quick rebuild of the switch mechanism using the parts from the damaged switch that i had removed and it is was as good as new again.

Overall I am pretty happy with the finished bike. Front end is a bit stiff but under brakes it seems to work well. Happy with the front discs, they look the part and in this early stage they seem to perform well. So the coming weeks will be to put some miles on it and see if any other problems crop up with it before putting it up for sale.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Good job mate looks great

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
While I was going through some bits and pieces this afternoon the Compliance guys from LVVTA have contacted me in regards to the composite swing arms and frames that I am proposing to build. A bit of head scratching from both of us but at least I have a way forward for the moment. Also spoke to them in regards to composite fuel tanks which is the next cab off the rank for me. Told me pretty much what I had expected them to say in that I need to provide them with some test panels for proposed laminates and possibly a series of tests for me to carry out to ensure that they are up to speed for use on the road. I have tested panels with the fuel (if you can call it that) which we get in NZ, choosing the highest ethanol content fuel that I could identify. One thing that I will be testing is if they can withstand complete immersion in pure ethanol which will be the real test.

Over and above that I have replaced the original wing mirrors from the 750 for the smaller profile ones that I got from a company in Japan that makes them to order. Fit perfectly and look far better than the originals did. They also have the ability to be swivelled at different points to the originals and have different length stalks between the mount and the actual mirror. I went for a dual swivel with a medium length stalk which places the mirrors out about the same as what you would get if you used the original mirrors and put them on the extender blocks that you can get. Initially I am happy with the position and the fact that they can now actually be used for what they were designed for. Tomorrow will be the test - will take them for a ride and try them out.

I will be taking the front fairings off this weekend to reattach the screen for thew vents in the top fairing and to try and figure out what the electrical issue was that I was having during the certification process but before that happens I wanted to try out these mirrors that I have for another project.

They are a lot smaller than the originals and I chose the middle length dual pivot points for the stalks. Quick check with them this afternoon and they have far better rearward visability than the original ones.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Up date on the mirrors - work well. Played around with the articulation of them as due to the angle that I had them set at the stalks are angled forward quite a bit but it works well and the position of them is pretty good on the open road. They have a wide field of vision due to the type of mirror that they are. Gave a far better and useful rear view of traffic - you can actually use these ones for what they were designed to do. Adjustment on them is pretty solid and is easy to adjust using metric allen keys. Finish was perfect, anodising was good and the gloss finish on the carbon fibre was flawless. Mounting hardware was all stainless steel. These come in two finishes matt or gloss for the carbon. Aluminium parts come in silver or black. There are two different stalk designs fixed and hinged with each type coming in three different lengths. There are 3 different styles of mirror housing available as well if these ones don't work for you. Available from www.magicalracing.co.jp in Japan and they are made to order. All spare parts for future repair are available individually as well.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Jumped on the bike to do a run into town to pick up some supplies for tomorrow and.....nothing. No power at all to anything. Bit of head scratching and while moving some wires around I got a flash of power. What I had thought was a dodgy connector was something else. Managed to get it going and rode into town and back before I put the bike away. Decided to have another look at what it might be and again no power. Bit of ferreting around and found the the main power wire from the key barrel hadan unusual kink in it . When it was kinked i got power straighten it out and no power. cut through where i thought the wire was broken and there it was. Completely severed through somehow. Put a splice and bit of heat shrink over the top and then some tape over the sheath to finish off. I have now re routed the wires so they have a better path to travel when the handle bars are moved. One thing I did notice once done was how much brighter the lights on the dash were. Will just have to take it for another test ride tomorrow...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Quick ride into town this morning again to get a couple of things while the crap weather continues. Though I do not like riding in the cold, wet, windy conditions of late, ridding this bike is intoxicating to say the least. I have some pretty good RST wet weather gear that even in the cold I can get away with just a tee shirt and shorts underneath. If it was a Japanese bike I would not have bothered, would have taken the car.

When I got back I had a couple of fasteners that I wanted to check the dimensions of so got into my titanium fasteners that I received a while ago. Have some heading overseas so they will be sent out this week once I have them all packaged up. So rather than using the stainless steel ones to put back I have fitted the titanium ones back in place where I could. They look a heap better than the stainless ones which were a huge improvement on the original ones that seemed to be so soft. The titanium ones are in most cases, nearly half the weight of the originals which is going to appeal to those that are chasing the grams on their bike for racing purposes.

M8 x 20mm, t40 shoulder bolts.

Originally designed as a replacement for just the front and rear discs retainer bolts these have now found there way onto the footrest hangers and are the same size as the ones that are required for the cambelt tensioners as well. Manufactured from GR5 Titanium, rolled threads for greater thread strength, polished and has a torx T40 head. Why a torx head?? Torx fasteners have a head designed to enable a higher, more consistent and positive torque levels compared to conventional allen key type heads. I have these fitted to my own personal bike and they are now supplied standard with all SRM Performance Products Ltd disc sets. at no extra cost.

Std OEM versions.

M8 x 35mm taper head allen bolts.

These were designed as an upgrade bolt for the Brembo billet callipers that I have which have a unique size bolt that is 5mm shorter than the OEM cast callipers. Manufactured from GR5 Titanium, rolled threads for greater thread strength, polished and has tapered allen key head. These are also suitable as a direct replacement for the front fork lower leg pinch bolts as fitted to both the Marzocchi and Showa forks.

Stainless item that I fitted the other day has been removed and replaced with the titanium version. Can also see the 8M x shoulder bolt for the disc in the shot.

Next project will be to get all the fairing fasteners drawn up as replacements for the next batch of fasteners to be made - watch this space.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts