Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased the bike and should have it here by the end of next week. I always wanted this particular model since I first saw one. Since it's an 07, are there any things I should look for right away and any particular upgrades anyone thinks is necessary? It has 2300 miles, aftermarket levers and from what I could see from all of the pictures I was sent it's basically stock otherwise.

It will join my others bikes: 13 VFR1200 and an 08 BKing. All I need now is a triple!

Bill

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
Welcome, in my opinion the Parts Unlimited is the best livery for these bikes :)

Take a look at the Superbikes section for 999-specific discussion. If the bike is well maintained and garage kept it probably won't NEED any mods but relocating the fuel pump relay is a popular thing to do along with upgraded starter cables (like ExactStart).

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
All the kinks were worked out and they are pretty solid the last few years of production. Keep the colors off the ground and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen a bunch of bikes with open clutch covers. I've never owned a bike with a dry clutch. Is this a good idea?

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
I've seen a bunch of bikes with open clutch covers. I've never owned a bike with a dry clutch. Is this a good idea?
It is the best idea from a traditional standpoint that distinguished the Ducati from the crowd. The sound of the dry clutch rattling is music to my ears and I love it on my 999R and previous ducs. Never had a problem with any of the clutches, only that I wore one set of plates out on my 900SS, normal wear and tear and easy replacement. I've always wanted a slipper clutch just to check out the anti hop feature when downshifting aggressively, but I don't ride like that anymore in the hills so I figured I would buy a new camera or some other toy instead.

Reactions: 2004 999s

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congrats and welcome! It’s good too see another member from the Chicago suburbs. That’s a great bike for sure. Make sure to post up some pics when you get it. I really enjoyed the personality of my old 05’ 999. MCC in Villa Park has a pretty sweet Parts Unlimited 999 in their showroom BTW.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't see many on the roads that's for sure. Mostly Harley guys and nuts with gixxers and R6s. I think I've moved past most of that stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
Favorite memory of the parts unlimited model was when one of the magazine journalists crashed one on pit in at Mid Ohio while I was there. It was a Ducati trackday and they were doing a track review of the new bike and the poor guy made a mistake. Slow speed and probably only hurt his pride but that was a reminder that even those lucky guys have bad days too.

Great looking bikes.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I used King of the Road transport. They contracted a guy local to me. He picked up the bike on Thursday in Virginia and had it to me In Illinois on Friday at 6:30 PM. No issues at all. The total was $625.00, which was a lot less than most of the quotes I received. The carrier was E&O Enterprise, Inc.

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Parts Unlimited rename

Instead of the Parts Unlimited fairing logo for the underpowered AMA bikes Hodgson and E. Bostrom got stuck with in the AMA, I vote it should have been named "Parts Needed"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts