Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Recently picked up a '99 900ss with (allegedly) 8k miles. Bone stock. Even the exhaust cans. And they sound terrible. Wimpy, wimpy,wimpy. What can you guys suggest for a pr of nice (tough) sounding cans? Not looking for anything expensive or even new. Happy to go digging for something used if I know what I'm looking for.

FWIW my ST3s has a pr of FBF on it and they sound really good. So hopefully that gives you an idea of what I like. Also not looking to be LOUD. We have new max db rules here now so not looking to visit with my local PD.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Staintune pipes sound nice and are definitely not too loud. Termi shorties are really loud. That’s my experience with what I have on my bikes.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Core the stock cans, do it right and convert them to a glass pack design and they will be fine. If noise is an issue make sure to make a set of Db killers.

In my experience D&D are the loudest cans out there so you may only want a set of those if they come with Db killers. Also keep an eye on can volume, small megaphones sound great but will be loud and lose power usually when a Db killer is installed.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I did this to an ST4s I used to have:

https://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/71439-stock-st-exhaust-mod.html

Your exhaust appears to be similar construction, so it might work on the SS as well. It sounded incredible on the ST, but maybe a little on the loud side. There would be no turning back, but it's easy and free and you could go ahead and buy a set of Staintunes if you're not satisfied.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I’d definitely try coring a set before buying replacements. IMO not too loud at all but much better sound than stock.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ST3s FBF cans?

I also have a 06 ST3s with a set of FBF cans on it. I quite like the sound of those. Other than possible plumbing issues (fitment) what would the issue be to bolt on the FBF for a bit to try those before I hack up my stock pieces.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Most cans work on the same glass pack principal. If you make the st FBF slip ons fit they will work similarly to termi or others and the same as a good core job. You will need to cut up and weld to fit st cans on a ss.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
If you do a decent job coring the stock cans you can resell them if you don’t like the results. If you like FBF cans you are probably better off buying the ones for the bike rather than modifying what you have.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went with these light carbon fiber EBay slip-ons. Without baffles it's loud, low and throaty yet somehow refined. Overall construction and finish are excellent Too loud for me though. I experimented and ended up with a few more holes drilled into the baffle and wrapped with fiberglass. They weigh about 4 pounds each and produce better sound without affecting performance (butt dyno). Cameron says modern engine tuning is mostly done prior to the cans and I'm a believer. Save your money - a pair of these is about $75 delivered. I liked them enough to install them on my Suzuki SV1000S as well. On the Suzy they're a bit harder to muffle. The sound is more popping compared to the smoother droning of the Ducati.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Those look good ! Too bad they’re so inexpensive. If I don’t pay too much, how can I put them on a Ducati ?

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
If I don’t pay too much, how can I put them on a Ducati ?
Easy you do what most do. you buy termi stickers off of ebay, get 2 sets they will melt.

As mentioned with coring the stok exhaust a glass pack muffler will work pretty much the same so any glass pack design may work as well as another. But, keep in mind the differences can also make them perform differently in ways you should expect.

Too short a can = loud
Too thin a can = loud
Too thin a can + Db killer = less Hp
Too short a can + Db killer may = less Hp

One of the reasons stock exhausts are huge is for volume to keep Hp while being quiet. Do not fall into the trap of "that short can looks and sounds fine on that new bike" and expect the same on yours. Many new bikes put slip on cans that are small and are not too loud because they have a in pipe catalitic converter before the can that also works as a muffler. If you do not have a pre-muffler with a too small slip on, expect a loud bike.

Same for switching from 2 exhausts to one, 2 into two with the same cans will be quieter than a 2-1 with the same as a single can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts