Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Friday, this happened:

Absolutely love it. But I'm curious: there is a huge hesitation when shifting from 2nd to 3rd if you're on throttle and agressive. I've done it both using the clutch and the blipper. Is this just breaking in or maybe a cold engine? Or is it just part of the character?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out to be user error.
Got to spend some quality time squiding around town getting used to the bike. Shifting normally, using the clutch, and everything works as I expect. I few times I got a bit excited and banged on the shifter without the clutch and got the hesitation. I think this is an RTFM issue on my part and not the bike's.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
With most quick shifters, you cannot pre-load the shifter and/or keep pressure on the shifter after making the shift because the ignition will continue to be cut. This may be what you were experiencing on your shift between 2nd and 3rd.

Dave

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Decreasing Dave - I suspect you're right.
Now coming to terms that I'm not going to make it to 650miles by this coming weekend. Just not enough time and North Texas just doesnt have the roads that favor long rides. 50miles/day is doable so by next weekend I'll get the first service and the first few farkles bolted on.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I actually found that I didn't like the quick shifter on my FZ-10, even after spending the time and money to install it. I like to pre-load the shifter a bit before I shift, especially in wheelies. Years of roadracing without the quick shifter technology had you "being creative" in ways to make yourself faster than the next guy. The quick shifter made this impossible and I had to relearn how to ride quickly.

I don't have one on my 939SP and I'm happier now :)

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts