Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 2020 950SP last weekend, so wanted to share my thoughts on the new bike. I’m only 70 miles in, so still taking it easy. For reference, I'm coming form a 2016 Superduke R that had all the goodies (exhaust, intake, ecu, suspension).

The good: Overall the bike is awesome. I really like the seating position (mx background), and seems comfortable enough for relatively long rides. The handling is also spot on as a lot of the roads in our area are tight, twisty mountain roads. So for the tight stuff this bike handles 100% better than the duke. I definitely had more than 1 oh shit moment on the duke in the turns, just never felt connected to the front end of the bike. It's the exact opposite on the hyper. I don't know that I have ever hopped on a bike that felt more natural. The brakes are also awesome as well as the suspension. I rate both higher than the duke.

The bad(ish): There definitely seems to be a flat spot in the torque around 4-5,500 rpms, which matches up with the dyno results I have found online. I think the drive by wire contributes to this some, and also the way too long gearing. I have been hesitant to lug the bike at all, so will have a better idea after break-in. The duke was an absolute beast from 4k to redline, so I think I just got use to the KTM midrange and maybe got a bit lazy with downshifting. The hyper is great above 5,500 though, but I'm going to give it a few hundred miles before I push it too much. I also have a rexxer flash, exhaust system, and 14 tooth sprocket on the way, so this should fix the issue. Otherwise I can't think of a single negative on the bike. I was close to getting a 2020 superduke, but don't regret my decision one bit. I do miss 3rd gear not optional wheelies coming out of a turn, but also appreciate not pushing out past the white lines in the turns.

I will give another update once I get through break-in and install the upgrades.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The bad(ish): There definitely seems to be a flat spot in the torque around 4-5,500 rpms, which matches up with the dyno results I have found online. I think the drive by wire contributes to this some, and also the way too long gearing. I have been hesitant to lug the bike at all, so will have a better idea after break-in. The duke was an absolute beast from 4k to redline, so I think I just got use to the KTM midrange and maybe got a bit lazy with downshifting. The hyper is great above 5,500 though, but I'm going to give it a few hundred miles before I push it too much. I also have a rexxer flash, exhaust system, and 14 tooth sprocket on the way, so this should fix the issue. Otherwise I can't think of a single negative on the bike. I was close to getting a 2020 superduke, but don't regret my decision one bit. I do miss 3rd gear not optional wheelies coming out of a turn, but also appreciate not pushing out past the white lines in the turns.
This ^^^^^ whole paragraph will go away once you install the exhaust, Rexxer flash and especially the 14 tooth sprocket.

Talk to us then......

Dave

·
Registered
336 Posts
Would be great if you did these mods in stages and reported back. Would like to know your thoughts on the 14T prior to flash and exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with the akra slip-ons and arrow mid, stock header. I like the looks of the sc s1 better, but have always had good experience with akra. So we’ll see. It is going to be a couple weeks before the mid pipe shows up, so I’ll have a chance to run just the 14 tooth sprocket for a week or so. I’ll report back once I get it on the bike. I was going to do taller rear sprocket, but the guys at sprocket center talked me into trying the front before spending the money on the rear.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I did the 14 tooth before anything else on my 939SP. My first ride on it with stock gearing told me right away that it was geared too tall. 6th gear was all but unusable under 80mph and even then was lugging the motor. The 14 tooth made taking off, coming out of turns, 6th gear, and even tightening the space between each gear so much better.

The biggest pain is that I cannot find a 46 tooth sprocket for the rear, only 45 and smaller.

Dave

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dave,

Can you give more detail on the sprocket change? Did changing the gearing in the manner that you did make the lower speed operation of the bike twitchy? How was cruising on the highway?

Smitty,

What made you go with the rexxer tune? I know very little about that option so im curious as to why you chose it and how "customized" it will be to your bike. I'm considering a mid pipe delete as I hate cats but i've had some weird experiences post decat with other bikes. As we all know, once you remove a cat, you've got to tune so i'm exploring options right now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with rexxer because he seems to be somewhat popular on this site based of a few searches (mostly positive, a couple negatives), plus after talking with him he seems to really know his stuff and has been very responsive. I ordered the evo so I can add or remove maps, plus it lets you reset service lights and the tps after cat removal.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
S
Dave,

Can you give more detail on the sprocket change? Did changing the gearing in the manner that you did make the lower speed operation of the bike twitchy? How was cruising on the highway?

Smitty,

What made you go with the rexxer tune? I know very little about that option so im curious as to why you chose it and how "customized" it will be to your bike. I'm considering a mid pipe delete as I hate cats but i've had some weird experiences post decat with other bikes. As we all know, once you remove a cat, you've got to tune so i'm exploring options right now.
Sorry, just got back to this forum.

The 14 tooth sprocket is not so much of a drop that the bike become twitchy at low speeds. In fact, the bike is currently geared REALLY tall making low speeds a clutch feathering affair. The sprocket change will help with that.

As far as cruising on the freeway, my Hyper's 6th gear wasn't even usable until at least 80 MPH with the stock gearing, not I can use it more often and at any given speed, the RPM difference is only a couple hundy RPMs higher than with the stock sprocket.

Check out the Gearing Commander for specifics and guidelines.
Gearing Commander

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts