Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Robert . New to the world of Ducati ownership and very excited . Own several bikes now .... Have a question would love some feedback . New 2019 950 hyper base model or 2015 SP with 10k miles . Basically same price . Really want the sp but this price for a new base model is hard to pass up . Would love everyone’s thoughts ....... thanks

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Tough call. I have the 2017 939SP and I wouldn't trade that for a 950 base model, ever. That said, I am not a 950 fan. I LOVE the way the 939/821 look and wanted the 939 for the Ohlins forks, the updates, torque, seemingly less electrical problems, etc. However, there are a lot of guys that LOVE the 821.

For me, it came down to desire, dislike, and the ability to mount my Sw-Motech Blaze saddlebags using the special mount. Can't do that on the 950, yet, but you can get a mount for the 939, and for me the 939SP was the only one I was interested in buying.

I don't think I helped you any...…..

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Act
Tough call. I have the 2017 939SP and I wouldn't trade that for a 950 base model, ever. That said, I am not a 950 fan. I LOVE the way the 939/821 look and wanted the 939 for the Ohlins forks, the updates, torque, seemingly less electrical problems, etc. However, there are a lot of guys that LOVE the 821.

For me, it came down to desire, dislike, and the ability to mount my Sw-Motech Blaze saddlebags using the special mount. Can't do that on the 950, yet, but you can get a mount for the 939, and for me the 939SP was the only one I was interested in buying.

I don't think I helped you any...…..

Dave
Actually you did help some . Just so happens that I love the looks of the 821 SP a lot more than the 950 . But in my mind I’m thinking brand new vs 6 years old same price ... easier hydraulic clutch zero miles .... And strada rack mount and bags bolt up easily on the 821...... decisions ..... thanks for your input .....

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
For the record, the cable clutch on my 939 is hella easy. When I was looking for one, I thought swapping to hydraulics was going to be one of my first mods. Now I have zero desire to do so. No issues what so ever.

Dave

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a base 821 that I would be hard pressed to trade for the 950. It took some time and money to get it to where it is but I have everything (just about) as the 950(including hydraulic actuated clutch but I also have a dry slipper clutch, even quick shifter). If I were you I would probably go with the 950 since it already has adjustable suspension(and I believe that you can get the quick shifter as an option on the base). The SP bike guys chest pound over "online suspension!" But it is very bottom level ohlins. You can take the base bike and do cartridge upgrades and be above that(but the majority of us could never tell the difference between the 2. Its basically for the track stars). The 821 you will need to do the judder spring clutch kit to make it feel like a normal bike. The hydraulic conversion, while it makes it feel smoother and lighter it isnt something that is night and day difference. The 2015 821 is actually a bastard year. That motor is a 1 year motor. It was the motor that they changed the engine casting. That specific year they started casting the oil pump into the engine castings. The crank bearings were also changed. May not seem like a big deal but when you are looking for replacement parts you will need exactly 2015 parts. In 2013-14 the oil pump was an external(under case but a separate unit) like all ducatis in the past. In 2016+they used your(2015) engine casting with oil pump cast into block but increased displacement by bigger bore and slightly longer stroke.

Back onto the topic of hydraulic actuated clutch, you will need to do this on any 821/939 if you want to do a clear oil clutch cover or switch to a dry clutch. Doing a home brew dry clutch is easiest to do on the 13-14 821(if you are into customizing).

In your situation, starting fresh with no hyper I would get the base 950.
Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just checked to verify, the 2015 you wont need to do the judder spring kit. That is also the year they started doing that on the hyper. 13-14 had no judder spring and made the bike hard to live with. Someone made a kit (very inexpensive fix if you diy) that fixed the issue on the 13-14. In 15 they added it from the factory. So, in 2015 you have the same clutch as the 13-14 but they added the judder spring. In 2016 they changed the clutch completely. The 13-15 is an Adler 4 spring slipper clutch(big name in performance clutches). In 16+ it is unbranded(not that that means anything. Just pedigree of the brand) 3 spring slipper clutch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All this is very helpful . I really appreciate everyone's input . With the under tail exhaust location probably a little harder to add a tail bag support or small rack . I'm sure someone will come up with something . May have already ...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not buying a 2014 sp is very hard because to me it’s the prettiest one I’ve seen . I do love the 950 base model looks enough to know that if I can’t get one for close to the same price as a 2014 SP , well that makes more logical sense to me ... Too many choices are a good thing I guess ...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Congrats on your new bike. I'm sure it will be everything you wanted. You really couldn't go wrong either way. Welcome to the Hypermotard family.
:)

Dave

·
Registered
336 Posts
Congrats! You won’t regret it. The 950 is a fantastic bike. Now get working on removing all those stickers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Dave ... really loving this bike and happy with my decision even though I still like that 2014 SP paint scheme better than any I’ve seen .....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Dolemite .... yeah stickers and looking at which slip on and replacing the cat..... not crazy about the Term full system really ..... like keeping the under tail exhaust look

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks a lot psyche . Like I said earlier . Have several bikes now . I realize this is new to me but I get it . These bikes have so much appeal and character ... really loving it ....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts