Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a member of this board for a while, but haven't post too much. I had a 07 Ducati Monster S2R1000 which was a great bike. Gobs of tq down low and just a blast to ride... so I thought. Back in April I got a chance to demo ride an 848. I fell in love. I rode it through a canyon and just had a big ole grin on my face the entire time. At one point I actually was laughing in my helmet I was having sooo much fun. But I found some restraint and decided not to buy it and just keep what I had. Last weekend I got to work the MotoGP race in Laguna Seca (I was a handler on turn 8 baby, the corkscrew. I'm actually on TV for the big AMA crash with Jason Desalvo sp?). After talking with a bunch of guys I decided it was time to trade my Monster in for a superbike. I went down to Spectrum Ducati in Irvine (if you guys buy a bike, go to them they are some of the coolest guys on earth. They give great deals too. They really hooked me up with this bike... and my Monster.). Anyway, I decided I wanted to test ride the 848 again. Took it out and it was just as amazing as I remembered. But I thought I needed to ride some other bikes just to make sure that's what I wanted. So I hopped on the 1198 next. WOW. Just wow. Wow to the OMG factor. I got on it and took off. Typical dry clutch which I'm used to with my Monster. I turned the corner and cracked it open a tiny bit. Holy cow, the tq out of that thing is unreal! Wheelie the instant I took off. Had to remember this bike has lots of power and I needed to respect it. My right wrist and I had a little conversation about safety and I told it to take it easy on this bike... lol. I drive down the road, I'm in 3rd gear doing about 45ish. I give it maybe half throttle and the bike just does a wheelie. I was soooo not ready for that. I got on the freeway on-ramp, leaned it over and cracked the throttle to about 1/3-1/2. it was so powerful I couldn't hold my line and swung wide. Once on the freeway I gave it a small blip on the throttle and was instantly at 110 and climbing. It was effortless. I never gave this bike more than 1/2 throttle and it was nutty powerful! I took it back to the dealership and the salesman came out and asked, "well?" I laughed and told him "absolutely not!" It was too fast. Too much torque. I know I would have gotten dead really quick on that 1198. I really think it's a track bike or for much much better riders than I. So I chose the 848. It's lighter than the 1198 and the decreased rotating mass of the engine makes it feel much lighter. The 848 is much more flickable, and the power is strong but manageable. It pulls hard all the way to it's redline, and wheelies are pretty easy to come by. It also has a wet clutch instead of the famous Ducati dry clutch. I wanted the wet clutch this time because dry clutch on my Monster was very grabby and are basically an on and off switch. While that's great for the track, it's not so great in traffic or low speed situations. The 848 was much easier to ride since it's lighter and I felt I had good control of the bike through turns. I'm pretty stoked with my decision. I looked at the white ones but felt they were too bland. The Nicky Hayden version just came out and is sick, but I didn't want to pay a premium for them. They aren't dealing with them since there are only 500 being made. Spectrum got their first one in and it was sold same day after putting it on the floor. Anyway, I plan on getting some seat time ASAP. We had a ride planned this morning, but it fell through... and it's too hot to ride in the afternoon here in the desert.

Mods to come will be a license plate relocation kit. Drop a tooth in the countersrocket. Either a Akrapovic exhaust or a Termignoni exhaust system. And probably a set of bar risers since I'm short and the reach is a bit long for me. Oh, and suspension will get set up for me here shortly.

A few things I've noticed since getting the bike. At full lock my hands hit the front fairing. Is there any way to fix that?
The engine is a friggen hot! My legs get so hot on this thing.
And I've had it stall once on me while pulling up to a stop. I talked with a few people about the notorious stalling when pulling up to a stop and they say it's just because the overlap of the cams. No biggie for me. :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Very nice ride there m8 - I am 3 weeks into my 1198 ownership of course Red! I love this bike...Enjoy!!!
10-4 PP51. 4 months into my 1198S. Full break in, even more powerful than before. Shish, i get a huge grin in the helmet too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
From one 848 rider to another....congratulations! I think you'll enjoy the new ride! Try to keep the front wheel down when you're testing those mods on Hwy 14.:D;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Justang - wait til you just get stared at the stoplights. it is awesome an you are sitting at the light and that vtwin is just pounding the windows of the cagers!

Aldo I have to say I am at 100 miles so far since I have been in school I have been a bit limited and as far as break in - I am taking it easy - highest it has been is about 6k Rpm running heat cycles and working the gears. I cant wait to really get on it so I can hear that bike at 8K

·
Registered
157 Posts
Cool, I just got my Hayden, they made 150, not 500. I also have a 07 Honda Cbr1000rr Repsol edt. It has a bit of mods on it, and it will smoke the 848 or 1198. Talk about wanting to wheelie,OMG. My CBR is a rocket. Anyway, the more I ride this 848 I just love it. I would smoke myself on the track riding the 848 vs the cbr. I love the way I can flick it and throw it around. Also the motor is soooo smooth, and yes i love the wet clutch too. Enjoy. I do love having 2 totally different bikes to ride.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a question about starting this bike. If I turn the key on and let it sit for like 10 seconds, it won't start. It doesn't crank or anything when I push the button. I checked to make sure it was in neutral, I even pulled the clutch in. Nada. But if I turn the bike off, then turn it on right away, and as soon as the fuel pump stops making noise I push the button it'll start. I asked a buddy and he said it's a ducati thing. It'll shut down everything if you leave the key on too long. But 10sec isn't really that long. Is this normal?

·
Registered
60 Posts

A few things I've noticed since getting the bike. At full lock my hands hit the front fairing. Is there any way to fix that?
And I've had it stall once on me while pulling up to a stop. I talked with a few people about the notorious stalling when pulling up to a stop and they say it's just because the overlap of the cams. No biggie for me. :)
loss of turning radius is just the way it is with a superbike. no fix.

hot legs are due to underseat exhaust. no fix.

stalling!? this is 2009 and ducati can't make a bike that doesn't stall. pathetic. but the fix is termi, race ecu and power commander. that fixed my bike and will get you aural delight and some power as well

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yep, when I brought my 1098 home from the dealer, i almost ran wide on U-turn because my hands got pinched inbetween the fairing and the bars. Just have to remember to move your hands to the very outside of the bars before you start a turn like that.

As far as the heat, I had a 600RR with undertail exhaust, and never noticed the heat ever (stock or yoshimura stainless). It was brutal on the 1098, until I cored my exhaust and removed that catalytic converters. The engine is still hotter than any japanese bike I've ever had, but removing the space heaters from under my seat helped a ton.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have a question about starting this bike. If I turn the key on and let it sit for like 10 seconds, it won't start. It doesn't crank or anything when I push the button. I checked to make sure it was in neutral, I even pulled the clutch in. Nada. But if I turn the bike off, then turn it on right away, and as soon as the fuel pump stops making noise I push the button it'll start. I asked a buddy and he said it's a ducati thing. It'll shut down everything if you leave the key on too long. But 10sec isn't really that long. Is this normal?
I haven't tried this yet, but i'd be willing to bet $100 that its the immobilizer system. I bet when you turn on the key, the unlock code only gets pushed out for a specified window of time, during which they bike can be started. Would make sense.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cool, I just got my Hayden, they made 150, not 500. I also have a 07 Honda Cbr1000rr Repsol edt. It has a bit of mods on it, and it will smoke the 848 or 1198. Talk about wanting to wheelie,OMG. My CBR is a rocket. Anyway, the more I ride this 848 I just love it. I would smoke myself on the track riding the 848 vs the cbr. I love the way I can flick it and throw it around. Also the motor is soooo smooth, and yes i love the wet clutch too. Enjoy. I do love having 2 totally different bikes to ride.
I was going to say they are only making 150 of the Hayden editions as well. I just got mine on the 15th. Absolutely in love. I also have a Honda but only a 600 that I like to say is my rain bike. Anyways I love the 848 and I may have turned into a Ducati man for life after this past week. Everyone stares and wants to see it and just drool over it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Awesome! I have been going back and forth on which bike to purchase next, the 1198 or a 999r. I was at a bike rally last night and there were two 1198s and a 848 and im not as impressed with them as I thought I would be. Only thing that gets me is that they don't have that stand out Ducati look if you know what im talking about. My 999 sticks out like a sore thumb and you cant mistake it for anything other then a Ducati. The newer bikes got lost in the crowd? I hear they ride phenomenal and there is alot of things I like about them, slap on some custom paint and racing graphics, clutch plate and cover, exhaust and im sure my mind would change really fast...Toss up though

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After a ride up to Newcombs Ranch on Sunday, I stopped to get gas for my trip home. As I went to downshift I could not. Clutch level was pulled all the way in and the gears would only grind. I finally slowed down enough and the bike slammed into gear. Problem was I was in 4th trying to downshift to 3rd. When it finally downshifted it was in 1st! I got gas and checked the shifting out. I wasn't too worried because the bike had done this to me once before when I had less than 100 miles on it.

After I left the gas station I hopped on the freeway. As I was getting into traffic I needed to down shift. Same thing happened. It would grind but not downshift. When I could finally get it to downshift I was like 2 or more gears lower than I wanted to be. It's at this point I started to hear some extra noises. I wear hearing protection when I ride, so it was loud enough for me to hear through the ear plugs. I stopped off the side of the road and checked everything out. Biggest thing I saw was the excess play in the shift lever. It has about 1/2 inch of free play up or down before anything engages. It's not the linkage, or any loose bolts. The play is coming from the transmission itself. You can see the "shift post" moves that much before anything engages.

At this point I'm 100 miles from home in the middle of the desert (Rosmond). I figure, maybe I could just put it in 4th or 5th and cruise all the way home. I take off again, but this time upshifting isn't working either... and there is a loud noise coming from the engine area. I also noticed that if I tried a full shift, it would grind, but if I did a 1/2 shift on the lever, it would engauge but was noisy. So I decided it was time to pull off and call for help. Called Ducati roadside assistance... and was told to leave a message!!!!! Friggen great. So I had to make some calls and have my truck brought to me so I could take my bike home. As we were waiting I started the bike and OMG there is a loud rawr-rawr-rawr-rawr noise coming from the transmission. Long story short, I got the bike home in the truck and I was uber bummed. I called Spectrum Ducati in Irvine and left a message for them to call me ASAP.

Spectrum calls me 20min after they open on Tuesday... so already I'm very pleased they got back to me quickly. Alan says he thinks he knows what it is and to bring it down when I could. I had Wednesday off so I took it down to be there when they opened Wed. I like Spectrum enough that I'll drive 160miles to get my bike serviced by them. Anyway I get there and he says they are gonna take it apart and to sit tight because it could be done that day. Long story short a spring broke, which apparently is a TSB for all 2v and 4v motors in a certain window. this is a "quick" fix. But, the spring had damaged a gear and needed to be replaced. Alan told me it could take a couple weeks to get my bike back on the road.

A couple weeks I don't have... next week I am taking the class to become an MSF rider coach and I need a bike. I go to the GM of Spectrum Ducati, Mike, and ask him for a loaner. He tells me they typically can't, that it's frowned upon by Ducati, but he would see what he could do. Mike was willing to get me a bike, but preferred my bike be fixed in time. Through some magic that Mike and Alan worked my bike was fixed that day! Both Mike and Alan are great guys... and fun to talk to. I also got to meet the owner, Jamie. Also a great guy. LOL, it almost seems like I'm a walking talking commercial for them... but trust me I don't get anything out of it. I'm just super stoked with them and their service. My purchase was awesome through them... my 600 mile service was also awesome... and then when the bike had a problem they went out of their way to fix it for me. Spectrum just rocks! Sales and Service are top notch!

Now to fun stuff.... After much debate on which exhaust to get I decided on the Competition Werkes afterburners. It's different, and that what I really like about it. I love the way it looks from the side, the rear you can see a gap, but not a big deal. I asked around and not many people had a first hand experience with the exhaust. I talked with Randy at BellissiMoto and he assured me I would like it... he was confident enough that he said I could return it if I didn't. So with that confidence I decided to try it.

The quality of the welds are awesome. It looks bitchen on the bike with the standard eliminator. The right slip on was hard to get on, seems tight around the tube, but with a light tap from rubber mallet it was on.

The sound... OMG loud! Loud like I need ear plugs loud and I rarely use ear plugs. Sound's so bitchen at full throttle and high RPM. Deceleration sounds sooo awesome! I went to a Euro bike meet and had a couple people take sound clips of it for their ring tone on the cell. It's not the typical deep "fluff fluff" sound from a Duc, it's more of a raspy sound at high RPM. I really dig it since it stands out. The sound is good. The only thing I could equate it to is a GP bike... but not as cool. ;) The clip I have does it no justice... and actually makes it sound like a dirt bike when it sounds nothing like that. I don't think your computer will have enough bass to accurately reproduce the sound this exhaust makes. Needless to say I'm happy with it.

I've had them on for about 2 weeks now. Today at work I had a co-worker grab the dB meter so we could test the bike. Used the SAE J1287 standard (20in away at a 45deg angle):

Idle: 98dB
3500: 104dB
Full rev: 130dB

YIKES!

For my hearing we did the idle and 3500 with the sound meter right at my ears:
Idle: 95dB
3500: 99dB

here are some standards:

140 ------------------------------------- Jet Engine (at 25 meters)
130 ------------------------------------- Jet Engine (at 100 meters)
120 ------------------------------------- Rock and Roll Concert
110 ------------------------------------- Pneumatic Chipper
100 ------------------------------------- Jointer Planer
90 ------------------------------------- Chainsaw
80 ------------------------------------- Heavy Truck Traffic
70 ------------------------------------- Business Offices
60 ------------------------------------- Conversational Speech
50 ------------------------------------- Library
40 ------------------------------------- Bedroom
30 ------------------------------------- Secluded Woods
20 ------------------------------------- Whisper

Pics and vid:

Here's the vid:
http://www.3.8mustang.com/justang/Ducati/848/CW Exhaust/MVI_2133.mp4

Sorry for the crappy camera angle during the rev.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts