Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the new owner of an 05 800SS with about 3500 miles on it. Picked it for a heck a a deal ($2500). It has some fairing damage on both sides. Frame is fine, Cans have some small scrapes. Title is clean. It has been 14 years since I rode with the last bike being an FZR-1000. Question is, do I put all new fairings on it and make it pretty...or leave the ones with the scratches until I am back in the saddle again and comfortable being on a bike once more juuust in case. I also plan to take it to the track for a track training day. The bike came with a practically new Red tank so there is the option of switching to Red from Yellow. Originally I was set on Red but the more I look at the yellow bike, the more I like it.

Also, the bike has sat for about a year. Other than fresh fuel, I'm thinking all fresh fluids would be a good idea. Stick with the factory fluids or are there accepted upgrades?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't see why keeping the existing (scratched) bits would hurt, however it's all a matter of personal preference.... as with your colour dillema.

As far as the bike sitting, fresh fuel as well as a basic tune-up is obvious. Do yourself a favour and immerse yourself in all knowledgable aspects of the model- pick up books, manuals, et al and read up. Do you plan on doing all your maintenance yourself? If so this is a must.

Steal of a deal mon ami, congrats.

·
Registered
104 Posts
cam belts and fluids

drain and bleed all the fluids, if it has no history do the cam belts as well. I would leave the messed up pieces on there until you know the bike in and out. These bikes can get messed up pretty bad and look ok at a glance so do some safe slow riding for some miles after you check everything over, check the rims and tires carefully and the forks, also check the chain for the right amount of tension. Doing some of the basics will allow you to look over the bike while you work on it and find any problems before they find you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i would start checking e bay for the body panels. should be able to get some great deals there. and by the time you get all the pieces you need you should be comfortable enough to put them on. :D

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Don't put fresh fairings on to do a track day (don't ask me how I know). I'd carefully check the cam belts for wear, cracks and correct tension, but I wouldn't replace them if they look ok. Any quality fluids are fine; you definitely don't need to use only what Ducati recommends.
Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
Manual

I'd recommend getting LT Synder's Desmodue Manual from Desmotimes.com. It's a great resource with a lot of practical advice as well as great step by step instructions on do-it-yourself wrenching including valve adjustments.
BTW, I'd be interested in your fairings if you decide to replace them in the future.
Good luck with your bike and I'm sorry about your brother.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Service wise, it is going to an authorized Ducati dealer (Skagit Valley Motorsports) to have a full go-over. Belts were done 2 years ago but it has sat for a year. I'll probably trailer it over until the mechanic has had time to go over it.

On the fairings, I was reading thru the forum and saw a few guys who had done the carbon fiber fairings and the idea to do CF overlays on the existing fairings popped into my head. Doesn't look like it would be all that difficult. I'd leave the tank yellow, get new yellow seat fairings and make it a black/yellow thing. If not, I'll keep you in mind MattB.

·
Registered
421 Posts
On the fairings, I was reading thru the forum and saw a few guys who had done the carbon fiber fairings and the idea to do CF overlays on the existing fairings popped into my head.
You could do carbon overlays but the only reason to do this would be looks as this will make them heavier.

Getting it to look good would be difficult and require a lot of sanding work afterwards. You could use peel ply to make this easier but the best way to make carbon parts is to use a female mold.

At first making a female mold may seem like extra work. But if you want a smooth professional looking carbon weave finish it's really the only way to do it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
or spend a weekend getting all dirty and sanding them down. call around to some body shops and ask if they will give you a quote for a spray.

or check out some local riding forums and ask if there is any guys that do paint. there is always some body guy looking to do a few sidejobs for beer money!

if they turn out real nice, then great! if not so nice, then you have a set of plastics you wont mind dinging up. as you save money, you can buy the fairing bit by bit and have a nice minty back up set!!!:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
...or spend a weekend getting all dirty and sanding them down...
Or get one of your employees to do it... :D

Actually, it would be strictly for looks. The current fairings have scratches. Weight wise, I'm middle aged and no longer svelte (looking at the sizes on most riding gear it is OBVIOUSLY sized for people who are not like me). I don't think a few extra lbs on the bike is going to matter THAT much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
drain and bleed all the fluids, if it has no history do the cam belts as well. I would leave the messed up pieces on there until you know the bike in and out. These bikes can get messed up pretty bad and look ok at a glance so do some safe slow riding for some miles after you check everything over, check the rims and tires carefully and the forks, also check the chain for the right amount of tension. Doing some of the basics will allow you to look over the bike while you work on it and find any problems before they find you.
I would disagree with checking the cam belts..... I neglected to do so when I first got my 900ss and as a result ended up with a 944 kit...... never been happier with the bike:abduct:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts