Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i just purchased a 2005 749. i've owned a couple monsters, but this is my first liquid cooled ducati. the bike has 2k miles on it, and in immaculate condition...now what are the first and most recommended things to look out for/change? im not completely familiar with the common problems or mods that are done to these bikes. for starters, im going to get rid of the plate hanger, but any other pointers on how to cheaply make this bike my own? ive got all winter...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, hopefully i'll make it to the track a couple times next summer...

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
There's a ton of good info to be found with the search function. The 749 is a great bike; no major issues.

One thing that affects this bike, as well as the 999/1098/848 is the dreaded "stalling issue" where the bike will occasionally to often cut out at stoplights, etc. This is mainly due the stock fuel mapping, but also seems to be inherent with the "shower injector" design. The fix is to have a knowlegable Duc mechanic richen up the ECU trim and ensure the cams are set to the correct specs; it's most cost-effective to do this at the 6k mile service.

As far as mods go, our supporting vendors have plenty of options available to empty your nest-egg quicker than a hedge fund. Best to start with the suspension; it's all wrong for most owners. You can completely transform the handling of the bike with proper springs and basic chassis settings for less than $500

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im loving the bike so far, but i havent ridden it enough/pushed it enough to do any suspension adjustments. i think i will leave it for now...even though i agree it would be well worth while. heres another question...the bike has 2k miles, and i dont know the (short) service history. seeing as the bike is an 05, should i be changing the belts before the 6k mile service, or will they be ok to ride until the end of next summer when i hit that service mark? ive heard mixed opinions on this...

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
and you will keep hearing mixed opinions.i look at it this way.,ts an 05 and its now going to be 2010 soon.thats 5 years old and three years past the reccomended change interval.while many will argue they will last,consider this ducati interestingly extended all service intervals except belts!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i hear ya. i suppose im safe to mabye ride it once before i put it away for the winter and then change them myself. ive done my monster before...shouldnt be much more complicated i would hope.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Change the belts and go ahead and have suspension set up for you. Would also suggest new rearsets, stocks are slick, billet clutch cover, stock is junk. And you probably should change all fluids, brake, clutch, coolant, oil, before winter since they have probably been in there 5 years.. Congrats.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the age of the belts right now. When you do the 6k check, changing the belts should only add to the cost of parts ($200~250) since the mechanic is already in there adjusting them. Do you know the use and service history of the bike? If it's been tracked, I'd recommend changing them out; peace of mind, IMO.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey, vtgpduc, a fellow vermonter! yeah, im definitly changing the oil asap. think i should do this before storing? ive heard you want to cause of harmful deposits in the oil, but at the same time oil breaks down over time, and i want it to be good to go for spring. my plan for winterizing is fuel tank full, stabil, fogging the motor via the intakes maybe...and a little oil in through the spark plug holes. then change the belts in the down time if its not too complicated.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Just put some Seafoam in tank and run it through, you can't realaly fog FI vehicles. I would make sure the coolant is good also since it gets cold up here ( actullay not as could as I am a t the other end of the state).. I heard of a dude who bought a bike used that had water in the coolant system from a track day. LSS cracked block in subzero temps.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool. so what are some must do mods for this bike?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
mods,first off you can adjust the levers (stock are too high for me) if you take out the split pins that are used to locate the clamps.dropping the forks in the triples (so you can count 4 lines) quickens up your steering.many like regearing,14-41 will work with your stock chain.and it make a noticable change in start -stopping and acceleration.a yamaha r1 throttle tube will make you a 1/4 turn throttle for less than 20 bucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts