Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 748 owner with some questions..... before anybody askes I did do a search of the forum...

question 1 - with no redline indicated on the tack and the sales guy answer of ' run it until you hit the rev limiter' I am a bit concerned for the health of this motor. I have found online info stating 11,000 rpm, how accurate is this and where will that rev limiter kick in??

question 2 - the weather is around 85 deg and its humid.... the bike is running around 180 deg and in the city almost to 240. How hot is too hot for this bike. I did not notice the temp drop a significant amount when the fan came on, is this normal or do I have to take a look at the coolant level???

question 3 - I live in Ont Canada, the bike has a speedo that reads in mph, not kph... I havent seen a conversion kit to take it to kph..... anybody have the same issue and if so how did you remedy it???

Newby questions I know, I'm coming off a zx10, got hit by a guy in a camry running a yellow..

Thanks for the responses, ride safe
Darren

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
question 1 - with no redline indicated on the tack and the sales guy answer of ' run it until you hit the rev limiter' I am a bit concerned for the health of this motor. I have found online info stating 11,000 rpm, how accurate is this and where will that rev limiter kick in??
Fairly accurate, but if it has an aftermarket eprom, the limiter could be as high as 12k or 12.5k

question 2 - the weather is around 85 deg and its humid.... the bike is running around 180 deg and in the city almost to 240. How hot is too hot for this bike. I did not notice the temp drop a significant amount when the fan came on, is this normal or do I have to take a look at the coolant level???
It's normal for my bike, and I bought it new. My 748 absolutely HATES traffic and running under 45 mph on a warm day. If you are concerned about it, there are aftermarket switches that turn the fan on earlier, of you can rig up a manual over-ride that allows you to turn it on any time you want (I did this mod with my GSXR-1100).

question 3 - I live in Ont Canada, the bike has a speedo that reads in mph, not kph... I havent seen a conversion kit to take it to kph..... anybody have the same issue and if so how did you remedy it???
You may want to look at European eBay websites. I'm sure you can pick one up from there fairly cheap ( eBay - eine der größten deutschen Shopping-Websites )

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
240 in traffic is too high. It should hit just over 210, then the fan will kick in and keep it from going higher. Make sure your fan is working!

My advice - put watter wetter in the coolant and get an aluminum fan upgrade. Works wonders when you are using it in traffic regularly. Manual switch kit is also a good idea, but I find the aluminum fan and WW is enough to keep things in check.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
First, congratulations, I got my first Ducati (a 748) a few years back and I loved it from the first ride. As far as the RPM issue, there is what it can rev to, and what it might be wise to rev it to. It should rev to between 11-12k before you hit the rev limiter. It has been written around here, and I have no reason to doubt it, that revving it above 10k for long periods of time is going to put undue strain on your top end and precipitate more frequent valve train maintenance. That does not mean that your bike will grenade if you shift above that from time to time, the 748 is an overbuilt offspring of the 916, but if you shift at 10k, with the torque our bikes make, you'll be far from bogging when you grab the next cog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts