Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very strange. I ride my new 696 on a Sunday. No problems. It has about 1200 miles on it now. I put it away in the heated garage, as usual. Tuesday I try to start it. Dead. No lights, no juice at all...just as if there is no battery in her at all.

I call the dealer..says try to charge it first. I put the charger on her...nothing. Still dead. So I call Ducati road service and they call the dealer to come pick it up. I will have the dealer pick up today, I hope.

Any idea what the problem is? I am sure I will find out. I am glad that Ducati will be fixing it under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
With absolutely no juice at all, you gotta figure on it being a connection or a fuse. Pretty easy stuff to check.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With absolutely no juice at all, you gotta figure on it being a connection or a fuse. Pretty easy stuff to check.
Well, that is exactly what I was thinking. I used to work on bikes back in the day. But I have no tools anymore, and the duck gets free service and is under warranty. So off the the shop with it.

But I wonder about reliability of the ducks. I have owned many other bikes and really never had reliability issues with them.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Agree here. Check the main fuse. I'd rather replace a $.50 fuse nad have my bike to ride than go through the hassel of getting it towed tot he dealer. I was helping a friend load his dead bike (Suzuki SV1000) into his truck. Right when we got it up there I asked "you did check the fuses, right?" He hadn't, and sure enough it was the main fuse. His bike came with a spare so we swapped it out and all was good.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
Well, that is exactly what I was thinking. I used to work on bikes back in the day. But I have no tools anymore, and the duck gets free service and is under warranty. So off the the shop with it.

But I wonder about reliability of the ducks. I have owned many other bikes and really never had reliability issues with them.
never had a battery die on a bike or car for no apparant reason?? :think:

and you worked on bikes and have no tools or a DVM?

I own two ducs and my son has one and they are rock solid reliable. I've had many dead batteries on many vehicles thru the years, I never ?'nd a brands reliability because of a dead battery.

Let us know what the dealer finds.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I had the 10A "Key Sense" fuse blow with the key switched on while I was putting up the kickstand and everything died. I tried over and over to just switch the key and and instrument panel would not switch on at all. No power for anything. Check the fuse box as others have said. You don't even need tools for that. Depending on your dealer, they might even charge you for the fuse. I had a taillight bulb blow before 600 miles and they charged me for the bulb even though the bike was 2 weeks old (!). Good luck getting back on the road.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK all. The verdict is in on my Duck.

Technician said it was a shorted battery. A defective battery in other words. They picked up the bike today and I will get it back tomorrow. No charge. No pun intended.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
good to hear.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The battery was the first thing to go on my bike, too. Had to laugh when
a Japanese part (Yuasa battery) was the first and only thing to die on an
Italian motorcycle. This, after all my friends with Hondas and Suzukis had
been warning me not to buy a Ducati...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts