Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer has a new 2016 Multistrada 1200S in red but no 2017. I don't recall if there were any major changes for 2017 and don't expect anything big for 2018.

I have no idea what type of discount they'll offer on a 2016 but if it truly has only 2 miles like their website says and I can get it for say $1,000 off, is there any reason to buy the 2017? I can't see a styling difference but I know early DVT models had some sort of EFI flat spot in the 5,500 rpm range. If that got fixed for 2017 I won't buy the one year old bike.

Thanks.

NC

·
Registered
324 Posts
The 2017 has a better air box design for more power and no flat spot. But those parts can be fit onto a 2016 as well. I had them installed on my 2016 bike and they cost about $100

·
Registered
324 Posts
The 2017 has a better air box design for more power and no flat spot. But those parts can be fit onto a 2016 as well. I had them installed on my 2016 bike and they cost about $100

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am not sure what did the trick cos I have the full termi system, the new air box, an MWR foam filter and the rapidbike evo. Everything was installed together. Flat spot is long gone. The multi is a different animal after all these upgrades.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've seen no conclusive proof that the "new" airbox is any better than the "old" airbox. I do seem to recall that someone bought the 2017 parts... only to find that they were exactly the same as the parts from their 2016 bike.

Personally, I think there's no reason to want a 2017 bike over the 2016.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll be able to stop in Thursday or Friday and see what they'll do number wise. Trade in my GS or sell myself may delay matters a little bit.

NC

·
Registered
72 Posts
"$1000 off" is typical dealer speak that tells you nothing. Off what- an already inflated by $2500 asking price? A '16 bike is on the verge of being two years old in the next couple months. That dealer will take any reasonable offer to get it the heck out of their inventory asap- they sure don't want it on the floor when the '18's are being rolled in right next to it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
On the left is the 2016 air box cover, the right is the 2017 cover. It's double the size in opening. Logic says that it will make a difference.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Get the 2017. You should get a white one anyway, if available. They are faster.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I recently purchased a '16 Hypermotard instead of a '17, so I am fresh from this buying process.

A question is to ask is if the '16 includes the full two-year warranty, the one I bought with 0 miles did, but many "demo" bikes with a few miles on have already started the warranty at mile #1.

·
Registered
348 Posts
On the left is the 2016 air box cover, the right is the 2017 cover. It's double the size in opening. Logic says that it will make a difference.
Logic says it will only make a difference if the ECU has been programmed to take advantage of the increased air flow. Has it? I haven't see any dyno charts from a 2016 showing a back-to-back comparison...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Logic says it will only make a difference if the ECU has been programmed to take advantage of the increased air flow. Has it? I haven't see any dyno charts from a 2016 showing a back-to-back comparison...

The multi has 2 O2 sensors if I am not mistaken. They adjust AFR ratios correct? So if more air is being pushed in, won't the computer make the necessary changes in fueling as well? Anyways for $100 it's worth the upgrade. It is a very big difference in opening size and I am glad I did it. I have also spoken to other '16 multi owners who have only done the airbox upgrade on an otherwise stock bike and they too have loved the effects. It's not always about dyno numbers. What matters more to me is the "seat of my pants" dyno. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The multi has 2 O2 sensors if I am not mistaken. They adjust AFR ratios correct? So if more air is being pushed in, won't the computer make the necessary changes in fueling as well? Anyways for $100 it's worth the upgrade. It is a very big difference in opening size and I am glad I did it. I have also spoken to other '16 multi owners who have only done the airbox upgrade on an otherwise stock bike and they too have loved the effects. It's not always about dyno numbers. What matters more to me is the "seat of my pants" dyno. Just my 2 cents.
If Ducati knew how to program an ECU, we wouldn't still be suffering from the 4500-5500 rpm flat spot. Nor would we have been subject to the dangerous 2nd gear/35mph "stumble" that plagued fueling on early bikes. The theory of cognitive dissonance suggests that if you've just spent $100 on new parts, your seat of the pants dyno will suggest they're better regardless of the actual facts.

Personally, I won't believe the new airbox is better until I see back-to-back runs from the same dyno... If there are gains to be had, I would expect them to be small and only available at high revs and/or large throttle openings. If you've invested in an aftermarket exhaust, the new airbox might be a bigger win.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If Ducati knew how to program an ECU, we wouldn't still be suffering from the 4500-5500 rpm flat spot. Nor would we have been subject to the dangerous 2nd gear/35mph "stumble" that plagued fueling on early bikes. The theory of cognitive dissonance suggests that if you've just spent $100 on new parts, your seat of the pants dyno will suggest they're better regardless of the actual facts.

Personally, I won't believe the new airbox is better until I see back-to-back runs from the same dyno... If there are gains to be had, I would expect them to be small and only available at high revs and/or large throttle openings. If you've invested in an aftermarket exhaust, the new airbox might be a bigger win.

Having said all of that, the 4500-5500 rpm flat spot was only suffered by the USA market multistrada. The multistrada we have here in india has never had that complain. Maybe different map?

·
Registered
180 Posts
My local dealer has a new 2016 Multistrada 1200S in red but no 2017. I don't recall if there were any major changes for 2017 and don't expect anything big for 2018.

I have no idea what type of discount they'll offer on a 2016 but if it truly has only 2 miles like their website says and I can get it for say $1,000 off, is there any reason to buy the 2017? I can't see a styling difference but I know early DVT models had some sort of EFI flat spot in the 5,500 rpm range. If that got fixed for 2017 I won't buy the one year old bike.

Thanks.

NC
You say you don't expect any big changes for 2018, but posts on this forum indicate that we should get a bigger engine and quickshift up and down for 2018. Of course we don't know what the bigger engine will do, but QS up and down is a big deal for me. It does more for overall quickness than a moderate increase in HP. I'd wait for 2018.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You say you don't expect any big changes for 2018, but posts on this forum indicate that we should get a bigger engine and quickshift up and down for 2018. Of course we don't know what the bigger engine will do, but QS up and down is a big deal for me. It does more for overall quickness than a moderate increase in HP. I'd wait for 2018.
And neither a quick shifter nor a HP increase will do as much as changing the gearing. Personally, I just don't understand the allure of a quick shifter for street riding. I used to be faster than most at the track and that was without a quick shifter. Clutchless upshifts and a slipper clutch are all you really need...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My post was before hearing about the new 1260 or whatever it is supposed to be. CARB has approved of "Multistrada 1260" or whatever displacement the new bike is rumored to be.

And for the guy who scoffed at the 1,000 discount, yeah I hear you. I have seen dealers in the Seattle area that mark all bikes, including dirt bikes, down by 1,000 and always charge $1,000+ for freight and assembly. The Ducati dealer near me does a great job with promoting the bikes in an area that prefers a "bro" bike like a GSXR XXX. They do have a 2013 that is only marked down by 3,000 and I suspect that bike will never sell. Almost 2 generations down and only a 3,000 discount won't cut it. In reality, they should offer me a $1,000 price break on that 2016 with zero fees. Who knows maybe a 2,000 discount would be more appropriate. I'll find out soon enough.

Oh and if I wait for a 2018 I'll be waiting until May. Once October rolls around bikes will see limited riding time until the next Spring.

NC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts