Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow, this didn't take long. We had the 2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring for 10 days and maybe 200 miles and I already question how I could ever think this would be a good idea.

So far, we found

• a lose cable tie hanging down from the left side of the bike at the lower edge of the cooler,
  • a non-used zip-tie in the area where the cable for the brake light goes through the plastic,
  • that the rear plastic assembly (fender / light carrier / tail / whatever you want to call it) is a completely shitty design,
  • that the center stand bangs against the cat when taking the bike off it without catching the stand with the foot on the way up,
  • that the chain adjustment will be a massive pain in the ass whenever it needs to be done,
  • that the starter is a total wimp compared to any other bike we ever owned,
  • that the transmissions lets you get lost between gears regularly, or gets completely stuck in a gear (4th in that case) without a way to shift up, only down – which is "great" when accelerating,
  • that the bike has to get two recalls done already, even though we had just picked it up from the dealer,
  • that the stock front fender extender is not supposed to be used with the OEM "engine protection bars",
  • that you basically can't buy a standard top case carrier as kit, only as a collection of parts, which then doesn't come with the little "rubber bumpers" under the top case.

I can only say, I'm surprised. It will be interesting to see how dealer(s) / Ducati will handle these things. I have NEVER had anything like that happen on any motorcycle I have bought in the last 25 years. Wow.

I'll keep updating this thread with how this evolves.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
The only thing to come out of this is the proven fact that one cannot re-create the wheel. The 15+ DVT (excluding the Enduro) were an absolute travesty from the start. Electronics that didnt work, blutooth that never connected, a limiting power ECU, to name a few. And yet people still buy them? Ducati had it right with the previous gen when they charged twenty large for a bike that actually lived up to the hype and gave you the smiles per gallon feeling.

I hope you can either learn to love "it" or trade for something worthy of your money and energy.

Reactions: cug

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Sorry to hear, but not surprised. Owning one of these bikes can be extremely trying. Now that I've got umpteen things on my bike sorted out, it's great, but it was a lot of money, time and cursing to get there. I don't think I could stand to buy another Ducati. I hope it works out for you, but don't be surprised if there are more hurdles to come.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not "my" bike, it's supposed to be my wife's touring rig, as I never really liked the Multistrada's engine. It's just not for me.

We'll have to see how it works out long term, but so far, it has been disappointing. At least she likes riding the bike.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Welcome to the Ducati club!!!

Google "Ducati, making mechanics out of riders" for a nice celebratory poster. >:)

I've had to push one of my $25k ducati's home twice with in the first week of ownership.

These being some of your first posts, you are in for some SERIOUS disappointment. :(

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
My SFS had niggles, they all did, as did my 999,749,old multi,748..

Nowhere near as bad as my Brutale R which was like riding a 2 stroke, if you think the fuelling is bad on a Duc try one of these

Now my DVT 15 is the same, had to turnaround 5 mins after leaving the dealer because the RBW throttle unit packed in. The fuelling is snatchy, the rear topbox bracket screws are made of cheese The fuel tap coming out of the tank broke trying to get it out (not made of cheese but a brandy snap) Its a total pig to work on compared to the SF.

But REMEMBER. Its a Ducati, put together by little Italians. Just thrash the shit out of it and be happy.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Wow, this didn't take long. We had the 2016 Multistrada 1200S Touring for 10 days and maybe 200 miles and I already question how I could ever think this would be a good idea.

So far, we found

• a lose cable tie hanging down from the left side of the bike at the lower edge of the cooler,

• So what, snug it up and get on with life.

[*] a non-used zip-tie in the area where the cable for the brake light goes through the plastic,
    See #1 or clip it off.

[*] that the rear plastic assembly (fender / light carrier / tail / whatever you want to call it) is a completely shitty design,
    Not really.

[*] that the center stand bangs against the cat when taking the bike off it without catching the stand with the foot on the way up,
    Go to Lowes, get a storm door closer or other oil piston buffer, modify, install, and enjoy the extra weight. Or realize the OEM setup is not a problem...

[*] that the chain adjustment will be a massive pain in the ass whenever it needs to be done,
    It's not... unless one lacks basic skill with a torque ratchet.

[*] that the starter is a total wimp compared to any other bike we ever owned,
    Gets job done just fine while being light weight, essential attribute on a sport bike.

[*] that the transmissions lets you get lost between gears regularly, or gets completely stuck in a gear (4th in that case) without a way to shift up, only down – which is "great" when accelerating,
    Operator error which will subside after operator and bike are broken-in functioning as one unit together.

[*] that the bike has to get two recalls done already, even though we had just picked it up from the dealer,
    Recalls are common throughout the vehicle industry, what's your point? Here's some recent car ones, note the one where almighty Honda installed the wrong pistons into some engines... what is up with that. This week?s recalls: Audi, Chevrolet, Honda, Jeep, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota and VW | KBAK

[*] that the stock front fender extender is not supposed to be used with the OEM "engine protection bars",
    A feature not a defect, necessary from an engineering perspective for adequate performance of the bars.

[*] that you basically can't buy a standard top case carrier as kit, only as a collection of parts, which then doesn't come with the little "rubber bumpers" under the top case.
    Accessory layouts often have to be trade offs to the engineering choices made when designing the bike.

I can only say, I'm surprised. It will be interesting to see how dealer(s) / Ducati will handle these things. I have NEVER had anything like that happen on any motorcycle I have bought in the last 25 years. Wow.

Hope it works out for you, the Multistrada is an amazing motorcycle that leads it's class in the market.

·
Registered
102 Posts
- Zip ties, cable ties, and the recalls sound like a dealer issue, not a Ducati issue.
- The starter... sounds slow compared to other bikes, but it's a different design. It works.
- Those bumpers, you can get from revzilla for $4. Yes, Ducati wants you to buy the "urban pack." If you want to save money, piece it together as needed. My wife's Bmw car didn't include a heated steering wheel with the "cold weather package." It's in the technology package. Go figure.
- chain adjustment... just a different animal because of the SS swingarm. Not difficult.
- center stand. Never noticed mine hitting things, but I after a year of ownership I did get an aftermarket exhaust and I removed the cat.
- fender extender... I imagine not every factory option works with every other factory option. But, I would expect your dealer to tell you that before you bought it.
- tail light... I got nothing. Do you not like the looks?
- transmission, I haven't heard of many issues there. If it doesn't go away with a break-in period have it looked at. That may be a real issue.

The bike is a great tourer, and when your tour leads you to the mountains, it's fantastic there also. I'm leaving in a week for a 10 day trip to Spain's Picos de Europa. Returning via the Pyrenees and French western alps. The first and last day will be all highways. I can't think of another bike I want to ride more than the Multi on this trip.

Ducati's have issues, but if you can't live with them, or work around them, cut your losses and move on. But give it some time, the bike may grow on you. I think your list of complaints are not big issues.

·
Registered
869 Posts
OP, sorry you feel this way.

This is a very active sub forum and has a lots of history and posts for the DVT models.

I'm not going to go over your nit picks as I just shrugged my shoulders when I read most of them.

I bought a 2015 DVT, so have experienced most of the early teething problems.

I own many good motorcycles, read my signature, and have had many more that are not listed in my 43 years of motorcycling.

The 2015 Multitstrada, although with its minor niggles, is still one of the best motorcycles I have ever owned.

200 miles and you are writing it off as a disaster?

I can only imagine, based upon your gripes, almost everything you come across in your life must leave you disappointed.

I challenge you to go find a better motorcycle for this category.

·
Registered
372 Posts

So far, we found

• a non-used zip-tie in the area where the cable for the brake light goes through the plastic,
  • that the rear plastic assembly (fender / light carrier / tail / whatever you want to call it) is a completely shitty design,
  • that the center stand bangs against the cat when taking the bike off it without catching the stand with the foot on the way up,
  • that the chain adjustment will be a massive pain in the ass whenever it needs to be done,
  • that the transmissions lets you get lost between gears regularly, or gets completely stuck in a gear (4th in that case) without a way to shift up, only down – which is "great" when accelerating,
  • that the bike has to get two recalls done already, even though we had just picked it up from the dealer,
  • that the stock front fender extender is not supposed to be used with the OEM "engine protection bars",
  • that you basically can't buy a standard top case carrier as kit, only as a collection of parts, which then doesn't come with the little "rubber bumpers" under the top case.

Wow that's quite a list. If it's your first Ducati you need to know there are going to be issues with all bikes coming from that factory. It's just part of the charm and the involvement.

Based on your list I'm surprised you got one at all! With just a little research you could've found out these aren't the most reliable bikes on the road!

My 2017 1200s has 2700 kms on it and I'm dealing with front brake vibration (EBC HH pads as recommended on this blessed forum) pads are on the order and will be covered under warranty. Success, likely!

Also cold starts are rough some of the time a solution is yet to be determined.

It's my 5th Ducati and they all had issues from the outset but they all were fixed and solved under warranty and all turned out to be great reliable bikes for me. But there is always the hump you need to overcome.

Hope your wife is enjoying the thing!!

·
Registered
57 Posts

So far, we found

Wow, and I thought my glass was half full! When I saw the title, I thought the engine had blown up. Honestly, if stuff like loose cable ties get you up tight, you'd be best on something else:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
A loose zip-tie and an unused zip-tie made #1 & #2 on your list?

I agree if stuff like this detracts from your enjoyment of the bike, this probably isn't the right bike / brand for you.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
My 2010 Multi has been rock solid to 30,000 miles with no problems. Had all the plastic off, removed fuel tank all in removing the HFC unit to send out to have a new proximity key made. Found the old key that has slipped behind the back seat of my F-450. so I put all the stuff back together and it all works perfectly. I can say that working on the bike is no big deal. chain adjustment is rather an amazing design and easy to do with the right tools. wire ties are easy to replace and easy to drop to a spot where one can't find them. My advice, enjoy the bike for what it is. mine did have fueling problems due to being setup to lean for the US market. I installed a new exhaust and chip and that solved that problem. the transmission does shift rather odd and can get stuck between gears, just a learning curve to shift it correctly.

·
Registered
532 Posts
That's nothing, tighten your seatbelt OP. My 2012 had dissolving cylinder heads, sounded like a coffee can full of nuts and bolts when running, it leaked oil on day one, $8 fairing screws, $30 oil filters, coolant leaks, no rear brakes, hit or miss fuel gauge, clinking forks, moisture in the instrument cluster, flopping turn signals, swelling fuel tank, keyless that may or may not work, dead heated grips, neutral light on but lurched off the stand when started, wouldn't start in neutral, neutral between any gear, popped out of second gear into neutral any time the front wheel left the ground, would randomly stall when hard braking, fork seals leaking at 8K, clutch had to be bled every 2K, crap bolts and fasteners, monthly recalls for everything but what was really wrong with it. It was a fun bike when it was on it's game but I'm all set with Ducati, if you like drama in your life this is your brand. YMMV :)

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
That's nothing, tighten your seatbelt OP. My 2012 had dissolving cylinder heads, sounded like a coffee can full of nuts and bolts when running, it leaked oil on day one, $8 fairing screws, $30 oil filters, coolant leaks, no rear brakes, hit or miss fuel gauge, clinking forks, moisture in the instrument cluster, flopping turn signals, swelling fuel tank, keyless that may or may not work, dead heated grips, neutral light on but lurched off the stand when started, wouldn't start in neutral, neutral between any gear, popped out of second gear into neutral any time the front wheel left the ground, would randomly stall when hard braking, fork seals leaking at 8K, clutch had to be bled every 2K, crap bolts and fasteners, monthly recalls for everything but what was really wrong with it. It was a fun bike when it was on it's game but I'm all set with Ducati, if you like drama in your life this is your brand. YMMV :)
Of course, the other end of that spectrum are those of us who are quite happy with our multis. I had a leaking fork seal and heated grip failure on my '12 last year, both fixed under extended warranty. Otherwise, it has hummed along for the last 4-5 years. And this is my third multistrada.

PS: I got replacement fairing and heatshield screws at Home Depot for about 25 cents apiece, and get my oil filters at an independent shop for about $12 bucks.

Reactions: E-riko

·
Registered
468 Posts
Of course, the other end of that spectrum are those of us who are quite happy with our multis.
Consider that I'm approaching 1 year with my '16 S. Here's the list of problems I've had:

1. The rear tire wore out faster than I would have liked.
2. I'm having a little trouble bleeding all the air out of the brakes by myself.

No visits to the shop other than the break-in service and the tire replacement. Just fun riding.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts