Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I'm new to the forum and Ducati as well.

Let me say thank you, up front, for all the advice I have already been able to gleen from this forum and its members. You have been a big help!

The machine:
A couple of months ago, I was able to finally get an 09 GT with a little over 4k on it.

It had mostly original parts and equipment so I put new treads and belts on it. The 2 POs did some tasteful mods, such as Rizoma reservoirs, drilled stock exhaust, hugger, etc. Other than a 14 tooth front sprocket, I dont think performance mods were done. The tank did show signs of spreading, so thanks to this forum and other reading, I added spacers on the tank mounts. This was my temporary fix to allow me the pleasure of riding the Texas Hill Country while I hunted down a more permanent solution.

I have managed to acquire a used tank from an 07 GT1000 and expect delivery of said tank on Monday. My plan is to line it with Caswell.

The question, or two:
For all here who have the lined tanks, assuming it has been lined for many years, how has your tank held up? Is Caswell still the best option, without springing for a custom alloy/steel tank?

The plan:
Once the tank is lined, I will then do a little custom paint scheme that will hopefully allow me to swap between tanks without taking away from the overall esthetic. After that it will be on to perfromance improvements, namely lighter wheels and upgraded suspension.

After that, I hope to get the Diopa seat and tie it all togther with a nice paint/decal scheme. The aftermarket parts for these specific bikes may not be around much longer, so the sooner I can source them the better.

I look forward to any answers, advice or discussions you may have.

Keep ridin', it gets better.

Xwind-Duc
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
447 Posts
Greetings all,

I'm new to the forum and Ducati as well.

Let me say thank you, up front, for all the advice I have already been able to gleen from this forum and its members. You have been a big help!

The machine:
A couple of months ago, I was able to finally get an 09 GT with a little over 4k on it.

It had mostly original parts and equipment so I put new treads and belts on it. The 2 POs did some tasteful mods, such as Rizoma reservoirs, drilled stock exhaust, hugger, etc. Other than a 14 tooth front sprocket, I dont think performance mods were done. The tank did show signs of spreading, so thanks to this forum and other reading, I added spacers on the tank mounts. This was my temporary fix to allow me the pleasure of riding the Texas Hill Country while I hunted down a more permanent solution.

I have managed to acquire a used tank from an 07 GT1000 and expect delivery of said tank on Monday. My plan is to line it with Caswell.

The question, or two:
For all here who have the lined tanks, assuming it has been lined for many years, how has your tank held up? Is Caswell still the best option, without springing for a custom alloy/steel tank?

The plan:
Once the tank is lined, I will then do a little custom paint scheme that will hopefully allow me to swap between tanks without taking away from the overall esthetic. After that it will be on to perfromance improvements, namely lighter wheels and upgraded suspension.

After that, I hope to get the Diopa seat and tie it all togther with a nice paint/decal scheme. The aftermarket parts for these specific bikes may not be around much longer, so the sooner I can source them the better.

I look forward to any answers, advice or discussions you may have.

Keep ridin', it gets better.

Xwind-Duc View attachment 1024949
Congrats and welcome! Yes, Caswell coating is the way to go. I bought a brand new tank and had it coated by a shop. If you’re not comfortable doing it I suggest you send it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I'm handy at most things, but I will call the local Ducati shop to see what kind of experience/cost they have with doing them before I choose to do it myself. It would not be good to do a poor job of it!

Cheers!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats! I'm also a recent owner of a new to me 07 SC GT and loving it - my thread here:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome... I am also a GT owner. Great bikes and very desirable these days.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Installing some lightweight wheels will be, by far, the best mod you can do to improve the performance and handling of the bike. Getting rid of those boat anchor steel wheels should be your first priority if you actually intend to ride the bike. Then fix the ECU fueling.

·
Official Retired Person
7,619 Posts
Welcome to the madhouse! Lots of real good info here. Lots of really good people here as well. Read up & enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Just my .02…..you don’t need a Ducati shop to get your tank lined. A good old school radiator shop is probably your best option for that.

I’ve had 2 tanks coated. An Aprilia tank (Acerbis) and repaired steel Suzuki tank. I coated a Kawasaki tank with Kreem a long time ago.

That experience was enough to have someone else deal with the mess. The Suzuki tank was done with Red Kote, and has survived to this day without leaking. I still have that bike.

The Acerbis tank on the Aprilia is another story. It’s OEM Aprilia for the time, much like for the GT. It was Caswell coated early on (I don’t know when exactly, I bought used, low mileage) and as such, I expected no issues.

Fast forward about 6-8 years of ownership and I noticed the tank has begun to swell. To the point that it was difficult to refit the tank after air filter service. A few years after that, the fumes began to gas off through the tank itself, bubbling the decals.

Finally, at about 15-16 years, the tank swelled so much it no longer fit. Fortunately for me, the standard Mille from the years prior came with a steel tank and I’d had the forethought to source one several years before replacement was required.

Unfortunately Ducati didn’t make the GTs with steel tanks….at least to my knowledge they didn’t, so your options are slightly more limited. The point is, even with the Caswell coating it just prolongs the inevitable. The only real, permanent fix is an alloy or steel tank.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you do a search here on the tank spreading issue you might find some options for your current tank once you get the replacement tank in.

Here is one link that might help you get a start on the situation or at least give you some hope. I am lucky to have ethanol-free gas everywhere I ride and so far have not had to deal with an expanded tank.

Fix (?) for Tank Spread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just my .02…..you don’t need a Ducati shop to get your tank lined. A good old school radiator shop is probably your best option for that.

I’ve had 2 tanks coated. An Aprilia tank (Acerbis) and repaired steel Suzuki tank. I coated a Kawasaki tank with Kreem a long time ago.

That experience was enough to have someone else deal with the mess. The Suzuki tank was done with Red Kote, and has survived to this day without leaking. I still have that bike.

The Acerbis tank on the Aprilia is another story. It’s OEM Aprilia for the time, much like for the GT. It was Caswell coated early on (I don’t know when exactly, I bought used, low mileage) and as such, I expected no issues.

Fast forward about 6-8 years of ownership and I noticed the tank has begun to swell. To the point that it was difficult to refit the tank after air filter service. A few years after that, the fumes began to gas off through the tank itself, bubbling the decals.

Finally, at about 15-16 years, the tank swelled so much it no longer fit. Fortunately for me, the standard Mille from the years prior came with a steel tank and I’d had the forethought to source one several years before replacement was required.

Unfortunately Ducati didn’t make the GTs with steel tanks….at least to my knowledge they didn’t, so your options are slightly more limited. The point is, even with the Caswell coating it just prolongs the inevitable. The only real, permanent fix is an alloy or steel tank.
Thanks for the idea of the radiator shop. I hadn't thought of that. If I can get 15 years out of one tank, that would be more than worth it, and by Monday, I'll have two. 😀

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
After the mess of doing the Kreem lining on my old ZX-7 I decided to go with a shop for my oil boiler GSXR build.

I knew of a place through work that had done some major radiator repair work for us. While picking up a repaired rad, I noted that their services board listed they did seal coatings for reservoirs.

I inquired what that consisted of and the cashier told me they did seal coatings on all manner of tanks. He nodded when asked about motorcycle tanks but added that he didn’t recommend this service unless I planned on repainting.

As this was the case, I didn’t hesitate with using them to coat my GSXR tank. As they used industrial quality stuff, I figured it would be durable and I didn’t have to deal with the prep nor the mess after the prep and application.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After the mess of doing the Kreem lining on my old ZX-7 I decided to go with a shop for my oil boiler GSXR build.

I knew of a place through work that had done some major radiator repair work for us. While picking up a repaired rad, I noted that their services board listed they did seal coatings for reservoirs.

I inquired what that consisted of and the cashier told me they did seal coatings on all manner of tanks. He nodded when asked about motorcycle tanks but added that he didn’t recommend this service unless I planned on repainting.

As this was the case, I didn’t hesitate with using them to coat my GSXR tank. As they used industrial quality stuff, I figured it would be durable and I didn’t have to deal with the prep nor the mess after the prep and application.
Avoiding repainting is a concern of mine, but only for the original tank. The used tank I have coming in is a two-tone cream and black, not a match with the original side panels. My plan is to do the coating on the used tank and verify the results before doing the original tank. I will repaint or have a vinyl wrap done on the used tank to get a better match. I've never had anything wrapped before, so that will be another research project in the near future.

Like so many Ducati and Aprilia owners with plastic tanks, this is a very frustrating aspect to these bikes. I knew this going in but still couldn't resist the desire to own one of these amazing machines.

Not to be a copycat, but like others have stated, I have a smile on my face every time I ride it. So far, that is about 1000 miles of enjoyment! Even with the 13 year old tires on it, i couldn't resist the call of the road. Thankfully, it has new tires now (Michelin Pilot Power) and that boosted my confidence in the handling. I look forward to more safety and performance improvements, expecting years more fun!

Xwind-Duc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts