Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK just fitted the beautiful 2 into 2 Termis...

First thoughts.... man oh man they sound incredible!!
Second thought.... My neighbors/police will KILL me if I keep it like this!

SO ignored that thought and went for a ride today... Now that is how a motorbike is supposed to sound! Unfortunately it made me far too paranoid and found myself dipping the clutch everytime I saw a white car with roof bars on!

So put the baffles back in and started it... Is this thing on :mad:? So weedy, actually worse than the standard cans. WHat i'm thinking is I need something inbetween Armageddon :p and whisper :sleep: . Any one have any ideas, this is mine:

Remove baffles and slice off 1/4 of the length. Refit and try again, keep going until I get the right sound. Will this work, any problems with it, and any better (sensible) ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

You can cut them off… i did so… 15 cm from the end.
Thanks for that advice, how does yours sound now? Is it really loud or acceptable? What I love with them out is the deep note, do you get that?

When you say 15cm from the end does that mean you cut off 15cm or left 15cm on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Thanks for that advice, how does yours sound now? Is it really loud or acceptable? What I love with them out is the deep note, do you get that?

When you say 15cm from the end does that mean you cut off 15cm or left 15cm on?

Thanks!
It is louder but more than acceptable… i have cut off 15 cm.

The sound gets deeper by the time… new they sound a bit more aggressive.

The db eaters from Desmoworld have a bigger ID and are shorter… they reduce the sound of the open mufflers about 5-6 db

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
OK just fitted the beautiful 2 into 2 Termis...

First thoughts.... man oh man they sound incredible!!
Second thought.... My neighbors/police will KILL me if I keep it like this!
That's what I thought about the Termis on my GT when I got it. Sounded great but too loud with baffles out, sounded like an aquarium pump with baffles in.

I cut about 2/3 of the baffle pipe off with a hacksaw and drilled a bunch of holes in the end caps. Now it's just right - sounds good but the volume is turned down to a reasonable level.

I've noticed that most of the guys on this forum run without the baffles, and if the neighbors don't like it, to hell with them. Until recently the police in this country haven't been very interested in noise enforcement although that seems to be changing.

poolagent's DB eaters look good but I already had the hacksaw and drill bit so that didn't cost me anything! :p

I do think we get desensitized to the noise after a while. I was considering yanking the baffles out for a test ride one of these days. The neighbors aren't friendly anyway. ;)

Debby

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've previously detailed this in another thread but here goes anyway. If you cut out the standard long thin tube and replace it with a 30mm tube, 100mm long with a bend or angle half way along to match the muffler with an unrestricted inner end, with no holes needing drilling along its length, the sound is deep, plenty loud and satisfying but stopping comfortably short of generating paranoia. Believe me - it's just right!

Don't try and get away without fitting new cross wires or coating the flanges edges with copper grease- they can be very difficult to remove otherwise.

·
Registered
154 Posts
In Mississippi where I live, every fat hairy ******* has either an HD or a chopper with extremely loud pipes. Mine is just as loud ONLY when I get on the throttle hard.

I have had several occasions during my short ownership of my Duc when I've almost been run over if it hadn't been for me revving my engine so they could hear me. I've even approached a couple of our local motorcycle officers and asked if it would be a problem for them -- they said as long as I am respectful and don't ride like an idiot, it would be fine. Our state doesn't even require mirrors or passenger pegs, if I'm not mistaken.

I say as long as there are soccer moms on cell phones in Chevy Suburbans on the roads, I'm keeping my baffles out. If you feel you will become a public enemy or receive tickets due to your bike's exhaust note, I'd say get those db eaters -- I've heard they work great. I'd leave your stock baffles intact, in case you need them. Note that your bike won't run as good with the baffles in -- pulling them out lets your bike breathe more freely.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
I've thought about putting my baffles back in but then I would not be able to set off car alarms.

·
Registered
43 Posts
db eaters GT 1K

Does anyone know the desmoworld part # for the db eaters that fit the termis on the GT? I am having problems with the police in my little community also and I dont want to cut the stock termis. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
just take the baffles out. I felt the same way when I pulled out of the shop with my new pipes, but now, 2 years later, it doesn't even occur to me that I could get pulled over for the noise. As a matter of fact I often stop next to black & whites at the light and they give me thumbs up like "cool bike"... but I guess it depends where you live...

also, thing to remember is that while it's loud for you on the bike, it's not as loud for others away from it. they can hear you, but it's not glass-breaking loud like a harley or high pitched like a Jap bike.

I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Does anyone know the desmoworld part # for the db eaters that fit the termis on the GT? I am having problems with the police in my little community also and I dont want to cut the stock termis. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
It would be helpful to see 1-2 pictures of your stock db eaters…

·
Registered
92 Posts
Last weekend I allowed someone to test ride my bike, fitted with Termis and no baffles. I was really surprised at how mild it was on the street as he rode around the block. I could see the bike across the park opposite our house, but hardly hear it from that distance (about 200 meters). After he rode it, I took it for a spin myself, and convinced myself that I should keep it, which is what my wife wants :D
anyway, although it seems loud from the saddle, I appreciated hearing it as a bystander, not offensive at all when ridden in a moderate manner...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Poolagent,

your link to the desmoworld site refers to baffles for the s4r. are you saying these fit the SC100Bip Termi's? Also, do you know if the sounds wil be acceptable to the German and Swiss police. I normally run without baffles, but I am doing a trip through the Black Forest to the Alps this summer and I know the German and Swiss police are notoriously strict about exhaust noise.

Thanks,

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK went for the option of cutting (see my blog post at http://ducatisportclassics.blogspot.com/ for description of teh process).

Took off about 15cm in total. It sounds much better when reving and accelerating but at idle not much louder. After riding it I still think I could lose another 5cm or so but considering how much of a pain removing the things is I may just wait for a bit and see.

Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Hi Poolagent,

your link to the desmoworld site refers to baffles for the s4r. are you saying these fit the SC100Bip Termi's? Also, do you know if the sounds wil be acceptable to the German and Swiss police. I normally run without baffles, but I am doing a trip through the Black Forest to the Alps this summer and I know the German and Swiss police are notoriously strict about exhaust noise.

Thanks,
Better than without baffles…

Look here… you see the baffles mounted

Attachments

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Hey Poolagent,

More details on your tail chop please :)

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
185 Posts
Kept mine out

Hey PJ
As you know I live over in Tunbridge Wells and since I've had my bike I have not had a problem - never been pulled over but I don't roar through villages or ride like a maniac. I open the bike up on dual carriageways, A & B roads where I can but if you upset plod or local residents then they will get pissed off. Ride sensibly in restricted areas give motorcycle plod the 'nod' when you see them and you will be left alone.

They tell me that only sportsbike riders on their Gixxers, R1's etc are the target. If you ever get up to Box Hill on a Sunday there is a resident Road Safety Policeman with his van in the main car park who ignores all the 'modifications' that riders make to their bikes (letterbox plates, folding plates, bikes with no silencers - cafe racers on old BSA's & Harley's etc etc)as he is there to build bridges between us and them and not alienate us. Plus he gives away sidestand plates. He'll tell you what happens in the real world.

Harley riders get away with it because of the demographic (age) of the riders here in the uk and the speed they ride at - tells it's own story.

My eldest son run's a thruxton with a 2 into 1 no baffle back and forth to Uni in Brighton never had a problem.
My younger son runs a Street Triple with a 3 into 1 no baffle never had a problem.

Don't be offensive with the pipes and you will have no problems.

Regards Nick

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
This thread has confirmed my suspicion about Termis being too quiet with baffles in, and too loud (for me anyway) with them out. If I ever go with another exhaust, it'll be Staintunes since with the baffles in, they're just a little louder and deeper than stock which is just the sound I'm after. It just seems a shame to spend $1400 for Termis and either have to invest even more in db killers, or hassle with your own mod to get the sound you want. I also prefer the more '70s look of the Stains, again just MHO:cool:

·
Registered
322 Posts
My Termi cost

About 5 weeks ago was Termi kit for 07 GT was $1040 out the door installed and the Termi kit comes with ecu and open air box top. This is the reason I went Termi. The kit was on the wall at the shop..........Guess they wanted to get rid of it..................Good deal for me anyway. I thought.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts