Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I wanted to give everyone a heads up...I bought a new 2019 Multistrada 1260s and noticed the front brake had a slight pulse. After a few hundred miles the front rotors began making a humming noise at low speed every about 75 percent along the rotor travel same spot.

I brought it to the dealer and explained the bike was brand new and the front rotor felt warped. Sure enough it was and to Ducati credit they are going to replace both front rotors and the pads under warranty. I was told some of the new Multistrada and Hypermotard bikes are having front rotor issues. This came up in 2014 and 2015 also.

I wanted to pass the info along if your bike is under warranty don't ignore the problem bring it in and get it checked out.

Again I give Ducati credit they saw the issue and are fully taking care of it....

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Happened to my 2012 too. Total BS that all manufacturers - not just Ducati - slap cheap, tin foil rotors on their bikes now.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Sadly this is more of a feature than a bug. There are other posts about this in the Ducativerse. Mine has aftermarket (Galfer) rotors and it does this too.

May I ask at what speeds this happens? Is the moaning (as I would describe it) happen at walking speed? And what are the riding conditions that transmit "slight pulsing?"
Hey I wanted to give everyone a heads up...I bought a new 2019 Multistrada 1260s and noticed the front brake had a slight pulse. After a few hundred miles the front rotors began making a humming noise at low speed every about 75 percent along the rotor travel same spot.

I brought it to the dealer and explained the bike was brand new and the front rotor felt warped. Sure enough it was and to Ducati credit they are going to replace both front rotors and the pads under warranty. I was told some of the new Multistrada and Hypermotard bikes are having front rotor issues. This came up in 2014 and 2015 also.

I wanted to pass the info along if your bike is under warranty don't ignore the problem bring it in and get it checked out.

Again I give Ducati credit they saw the issue and are fully taking care of it....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sadly this is more of a feature than a bug. There are other posts about this in the Ducativerse. Mine has aftermarket (Galfer) rotors and it does this too.

May I ask at what speeds this happens? Is the moaning (as I would describe it) happen at walking speed? And what are the riding conditions that transmit "slight pulsing?"
Walking speed on the moaning. The pulse occurs during regular braking coming to a stop usually felt 40 mph to zero...no adverse conditions normal break in and since the bike was new I did not ride it hard...I am also aware not to hold the brake lever at a stop and create over heating. It had a slight pulse right out of the box that just got worse.

Sounds like they rotors are at times, being shipped already out of spec...others are just poorly made and warp very soon after use.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should add the risk is brake caliper knock back at prolonged high speeds...this causes the brake piston to over heat and freeze in place...I know this well as I lost all the front brakes on my Monster several years ago to a warped rotor and overheating which forced me to try and stop on a freeway off ramp using only my rear brake. The moral of the story is to address the problem early

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Walking speed on the moaning. The pulse occurs during regular braking coming to a stop usually felt 40 mph to zero...no adverse conditions normal break in and since the bike was new I did not ride it hard...I am also aware not to hold the brake lever at a stop and create over heating. It had a slight pulse right out of the box that just got worse.

Sounds like they rotors are at times, being shipped already out of spec...others are just poorly made and warp very soon after use.

Yep, same here. High quality aftermarket rotor. Just wanted to warn you a dealer/manu making nice after an expensive purchase might not resolve the issue entirely. Some owners have freed up rotor buttons, honed the rotors, changed pads (multiple times), and the issue persists. Actual braking performance on these bikes is superior. Enjoy your ride man...

·
Premium Member
3,906 Posts
There is a common issue with these brakes that they 'vibe' at walking speeds (usually pushing the bike around by hand). It's a high frequency buzz that generally comes and goes once per rev. It's not warped just some weird resonance... but it also doesn't affect braking at all so if your issue was affecting braking it's something else.

In my experience these M50's are awesome brakes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a common issue with these brakes that they 'vibe' at walking speeds (usually pushing the bike around by hand). It's a high frequency buzz that generally comes and goes once per rev. It's not warped just some weird resonance... but it also doesn't affect braking at all so if your issue was affecting braking it's something else.

In my experience these M50's are awesome brakes.
Makes sense but the dealership head mechanic even test ride the bike and said the rotor was warped and had to be replaced. Braking still feels solid but I wouldn't want to take the bike in a long ride nor a track day.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Yep, same here. High quality aftermarket rotor. Just wanted to warn you a dealer/manu making nice after an expensive purchase might not resolve the issue entirely.
+1 on the high quality aftermarket rotor. Triumph, BMW and many others are using the same cheap rotor source because complaints of "warped" and/or otherwise "pulsating" rotors are now common in many forums of different brands.

Even if the dealer slaps another set of the same cheap rotors on the bike under warranty, that may (obviously) not fix the problem.

I didn't even get that option. My dealer said my "warped" and/or otherwise "pulsating" rotors was a "wear and tear" issue not under warranty. Jerk. :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1 on the high quality aftermarket rotor. Triumph, BMW and many others are using the same cheap rotor source because complaints of "warped" and/or otherwise "pulsating" rotors are now common in many forums of different brands.

Even if the dealer slaps another set of the same cheap rotors on the bike under warranty, that may (obviously) not fix the problem.

I didn't even get that option. My dealer said my "warped" and/or otherwise "pulsating" rotors was a "wear and tear" issue not under warranty. Jerk. :(
I heard that same argument on my Monster 821 and I should have argued that point but didn't. This time I did. I will say the replacement rotors on the 821 were OEM and never warped

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I stand corrected...Ducati Corp. changed their minds a few minutes ago and are now asking for photographs of the warped rotor before they approve the repair. Even though the lead mechanic said the rotors are warped! Of course the photos are not going to show the warp without removing the entire wheel and rotor....what a mess!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don't complain too much about light, thin rotors. Reducing unsprung weight is a major performance factor. Light rims and rotors are the mark of a performance machine. That also means they're fragile.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't complain too much about light, thin rotors. Reducing unsprung weight is a major performance factor. Light rims and rotors are the mark of a performance machine. That also means they're fragile.
I would agree except a defective rotor with only 580 easy miles on the bike....there has to be an engineering point where they are thick enough to hold up yet thin enough to save some weight. Clearly they don't seem to be holding up for everyone....

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Well I stand corrected...Ducati Corp. changed their minds a few minutes ago and are now asking for photographs of the warped rotor before they approve the repair. Even though the lead mechanic said the rotors are warped! Of course the photos are not going to show the warp without removing the entire wheel and rotor....what a mess!!!
Total BS. And even with the rotor off, a photograph is unlikely to show the warp as it is probably only a fraction of a millimeter.

If you do go so far as to take the rotor off, I suggest you put it in a vice and then whack it with a sledgehammer. Fold the freaking thing in half, and then take the photograph.

Here you go, Ducati. Here's your warp! :giggle:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree a photo is worthless with out measuring the runoff...sad...I will post the results when Ducati gets back to me

·
Premium Member
3,906 Posts
take a dial indicator and capture a video of the rotor runout... if you don't have a dial indicator you can buy a cheap one for less than 50 bucks. anything more that about 50 microns is a problem in a car rotor... I'd want less on a bike.

my bike runout was much less than 30um when I checked it in 2015 (small enough that it was hard to see) and it was still making that noise.

(50um is a bit more than half the thickness of a human hair... zero chance of seeing that in a photograph)

Reactions: johnrobb1

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
They are wear items now, even at low miles.

And this is why. Even back to the 1993 Civic I had for ten years rotors were a 20K mile item. Admittedly I ran it hard, but holy hell. Lucky my auto tech roomie got them (OEM) for $32 from his Acura dealer.

My old KZ550 had a front wheel that was 2X as weighty as the MTS. Rotors were forever items. Twice as thick I reckon than modern ones. It sucks to have to think about runout so soon. Mine moans as does others but the runout is fine. The MTS front end, despite careful assembly and fresh parts tends to do this. It's a bit maddening. But the performance, like the unsprung weight on the Civic wheels, is awesome. I suspect my 79 F100 had a rotor and caliper assembly that weighed more than the whole wheel and rotors of the MTS. I'm not doing the math.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts