Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I recently came off an SXV550 to an 08 1100 Hypermotard.
Obviously this is a hell of a weight difference and first and foremost I'm trying to trim the fat as this will be a track only bike. I purchased a used MIVV exhaust, complete from header to muffler as the stock stuff looks absurdly heavy.
Here are my questions:
-Can I put the new exhaust on without a tune and be "okay"? I realize I won't maximize the benefit of the improved volumetric efficiency but I won't have time to do a tune before my next track day.
-Will I throw a fault for the elimination of the exhaust valve?
-If yes, it'll throw a fault, is there anything I can do to eliminate this before I get my tune?

On the topic of tunes, is it as simple as pre-configured tunes exist for people with intake/exhaust and you load it in and are good to go? Or are people buying tuning cables and doing their own maps? Coming from SXV world I was able to create my own rather easily but plug and play sounds awfully nice as I'm sure with this bike being out for 9 years, others have perfected these tunes.

Thank you SO MUCH!

Pic for fun:

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,147 Posts
Congrats on the new Bike!

I would not recommend to put on the new exhaust with the stock ECU.

Stock ECU makes the bike run lean to comply with emission regulations, so it will become dangerously lean with the new exhaust.

A new ECU or a Power commander (t_bare is selling one just for your bike on the classifieds) will be needed.
You will also need a new air-filter lid (more intake capability for more exhaust capability).

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the new Bike!

I would not recommend to put on the new exhaust with the stock ECU.

Stock ECU makes the bike run lean to comply with emission regulations, so it will become dangerously lean with the new exhaust.

A new ECU or a Power commander (t_bare is selling one just for your bike on the classifieds) will be needed.
You will also need a new air-filter lid (more intake capability for more exhaust capability).
Jorge,
Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. I've sent him a PM on the power commander. I didn't see a specific map on the PC website for the MIVV exhaust but assume the Termi 2:1 would be close enough.

·
Registered
662 Posts
With or without a PC, you probably also want an ECU reflash to make it stop looking for the 02 sensor. One option would be the DP 'race' ECU meant for the Termi 2-1 which not only gets rid of the O2 sensor, but also has a fuelling map that's closer to the mark for your Mivv system (if you decide not to go with a custom fuel tune).

+1 on the intake upgrade too - the stock airbox inlet is ridiculously small.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Definitely consider the ECU flash or DP ECU like spex suggested, getting rid of those O2 sensors and running "open loop" instead of "closed loop" is a tremendous improvement. Also take a look at the pod filter and velocity stack upgrades out there. The airbox lid upgrade seem pretty minor compared to the huge volume increase of the pod filters.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The powercommander for sale in the classifieds doesn't come with the o2 optimizer so that is a no-go.
I'll start the hunt for a DP 96518708B ecu.

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
985 Posts
Nice Aprilia.

The Power Commander will also allow the capability to have a custom dyno tune written to it; something to keep in mind which you cannot do with the DP ECU.

I would think the DP Race ECU would be pretty close. If you go this route, make sure it's the race ECU and not the one designed for the slip on system because there is a difference. Just be prepared there could be some "quirks" in the powerband as every exhaust system is tuned a little differently and the Termi ECU was not designed for the MIVV exhaust system at the end of the day.

Keep us posted and congrats on the Hyper. :)

Reactions: Spex

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The Termi 2-1 (96518708B) is very rich but much better in your case than the "CAMS" ECU (965192208B). The CAMS ECU also makes changes to the Timing. When I bought my 08 HyperS it had the CAMS ECU and a PCV, the the Trim was set so low to try and cope with that ECU it would hardly start it was so lean on the bottom but fat everywhere else.

t_bare

1 - 10 of 10 Posts