Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up "Sofia" over the weekend. Now I have a few questions

what are major problems I need to look out for and any preventative measures?

Anybody know where I can get a front and rear stand for her?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Tuga008 said:
Just picked up "Sofia" over the weekend. Now I have a few questions

what are major problems I need to look out for and any preventative measures?

Anybody know where I can get a front and rear stand for her?
Honestly there aren’t any inherent major bugaboos to worry about. There has been the occasional instrument pod going nuts and the '03's and '04 had a stalling problem but I think that has mostly worked itself out. I did have a front brake master cylinder go bad on me but mine is the only one I've heard of having that problem. It was replaced under the warranty. The 749 is pretty much a well worked out machine. A few minor annoyances though. The stock battery is crap, it will fail after a year or two. Get a battery tender and use it. That will help extend its life, for a while anyway. Keep an eye on your coolant hose clamps. For some reason you may from time to time get a small leak at a hose connection that needs a little tightening of the clamp. As you may have read before these bikes run HOT. I mean on your butt and right leg. The heat from the underseat exhaust can be painful if you get stuck in traffic on a hot summer day. As for preventative measure follow the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule to a "T". It's a Ducati and doth not suffer fools lightly. Keep her clean. Keep the chain adjusted properly and lubricated. The clutch hydraulic (brake fluid) will get dark from being in contact with the slave cylinder seals, it's a Ducati thing, It doesn’t cause any problems but I flush it out every 6 months or so just because I hate to see that dark color. Change the oil, check the valve clearances, and change the cam belts IAW the maintenance schedule and she should run for years will very few glitches.

·
Registered
135 Posts
congrats..

for stands. i got baxley sport chock in front and pit bulls in the back. the chock is great.. just ride on in.

as for the heat.. for me, its not just while sitting in traffic, its there all the time. the shop said the bike is new, and if i'm running lower rpms, then the bike is running lean and gets hot.. at the 600 miles service, things will be tuned up.

enjoy her!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Welcome!

As for the stands, there are many ways to go depending on your budget from the high quality PitBull stands to the economical (but still very good) Handy Industries stands.

I've had both of them and didn't regret either purchase at all. I did have a Lockhart Philips stand too.

I think the best set of stands I've bought though, in terms of both quality and price is this one right here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/motorcycle-stand-stands-front-rear-bike-sport-pro-gol-e_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10066QQitemZ4629472541QQrdZ1

It's PitBull - type of quality at half the price. I bought from those guys directly too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts