Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I recently acquired a new toy to keep me on two wheels while the R is undergoing an overhaul of sorts.

An '02 SP2, which I must say after logging some miles, is an absolute pleasure to ride. Smooth, stable, power everywhere and that glorious noise from the gear driven cams. Completely different in character than the rather high strung R, it's also my first street bike of over 750cc. Anyway, there were some changes made by the PO which I'd like to address... namely the ghastly Moriwaki rearsets and the obviously non standard mirrors. Which brings us to the topic of this thread.

After some research I determined that the RC51 forum which was the most active, and therefore gave me the best probability for success when seeking information and/or advice with regards to the care of this machine was "RC51 Forums". After several weeks of membership I must say that a description of that forum being the "most active", while technically accurate, is actually accurate only in the sense that a Sloth moves more than a Snail. While the responses I've received have been very helpful, they are far and few between. It is a ghost town.

So... as the title of this thread implies, I just want to thank everyone for helping to make this forum what it is. I'm not sure I ever did, take it for granted that is, but you'll never know how special a place this is, until you've joined one where membership feels somewhat akin to the Bataan Death March.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Yes, I know what you mean. Some of the forums I’m on are pretty dead. I’ve never found a decent Harley forum. No one with a high degree of knowledge is there. No actual Harley experts. Just people with mechanical issues that don’t know much.
The Hayabusa forum isn’t real active either. Same basic problem, no one with a high degree of knowledge. No expert mechanics.
This forum and Triumph Rat. Net will spoil you for all the others. A genuine resource.
Ive been trying to resurrect the Monster forum , because I’d like to see it be as active as this one. It’s better than it used to be.
Good forums are a great resource for all of us. I really appreciate this one.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I am actually on a few Ducati forums and other than the only Panigale based Ducati forum, this is by far the most active. I'll add that while that's a good forum if you have a Panigale or new Streetfighter, there's very little activity or knowledge on anything older. Since most of my bikes are older, I check in here more and there is definitely the widest knowledge base and activity here.

I can without hesitation that this forum is really to be appreciated.

I love that RC51 SP2, by the way.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I have been vocal about this little part of the interwebz. Y'all already know how I feel. With that said, I agree with all said here.
That white RC is gorgeous. I have lusted over them for a long while. Sadly I never got to have one in my garage. (YET) Best wishes to you.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I guess the VTR forum isn't as active due to the bike being a dead-end. Honda only made it for, what...6 years? And only brought them to the US for 4 or 5 I think.

They built the bike out of protest of the rules in WSB at the time. And they quit making it as soon as they could.

Great bikes though. (y)

·
Registered
1993 750SS
109 Posts
So, I recently acquired a new toy to keep me on two wheels while the R is undergoing an overhaul of sorts. View attachment 990250
An '02 SP2, which I must say after logging some miles, is an absolute pleasure to ride. Smooth, stable, power everywhere and that glorious noise from the gear driven cams. Completely different in character than the rather high strung R, it's also my first street bike of over 750cc. Anyway, there were some changes made by the PO which I'd like to address... namely the ghastly Moriwaki rearsets and the obviously non standard mirrors. Which brings us to the topic of this thread.
Very clean bike. Congrats 👍🏼 What don't you like about the Moriwaki rearsets?

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very clean bike. Congrats 👍🏼 What don't you like about the Moriwaki rearsets?
They're just... too much. Too many curves, too much area taken up, too much metal... just too much. The OEM pegs are svelte by comparison.

·
Registered
1993 750SS
109 Posts
Ok, I can see that. The stockers do look to be utilitarian. Such a cool bike...

·
Registered
752 Posts
I was semi-active on that forum a few years back when I had my SP-2. It did used to be pretty good for traffic, with a number of very knowledgeable regulars who could chime in on most problems. The site (and a number of others I used to frequent) took a big hit in traffic due to a couple big things that I noticed.

1) VerticalScope had a huge hack that compromised almost everyone's passwords. They overreacted for a bit by making people use government-level password complexity and making users change them every 3 months. People stopped caring because it was too much trouble.

2) Photobucket stopped hosting linked images, so it was more difficult to put together quality how-to threads. Now there are a bunch of instructional threads floating around everywhere with no visuals to support them (here included). That knowledge is gone, because nobody is going to take the time to upload photos on a 15, 10, or even 5 year old post.

3) Facebook groups make it possible to get a number of replies to any problem instantly. It's really frustrating to be part of one, and see people ask the same stupid question twice a week, but that's where we are now. No need to research or learn, just scream out "I NEED THIS HELP NOW!!!!", and bitch when someone tells you this problem was solved 10 years ago.

I'm glad this place is still relatively active. It's the only forum I really visit anymore because of that. Something, something, demographics, something.

Anyway, nice RC. Like you, I was lucky enough to find one with an original rear fender that hadn't been hacked off. There might even be photos of it somewhere on this forum if I actually uploaded them instead of hosting from Photobucket!

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,249 Posts
Wow congratulations Prophet your RC51 is purdy! Gotta say it's not often that you see any of those '02 White/Black ones,I've only ever seen one in person.

I own an '04 SP2 myself and use the Sato Racing rearsets on mine. Although the RC51 has a 1000cc engine in it,after you ride the bike for awhile,you'll likely discover for yourself that probably the most accurate way to describe it is that it's basically just a big torquey 750.

Enjoy that midrange torque and sweet cam gear whine my friend. It never ceases to put a shit-eatin grin on my face. :giggle:

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Ooooo.........check out Stoshies bad ass RC. That pal is cool.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I too had the wet dream of an RC-51 years ago. The Castrol/Hayden replica version would be my holy grail. Great V twin noise, Jap reliability and dealer network, there’s a lot to like. Then there was the race with Colin Edwards on one taking a WSB title - epic race.
Nice snag Prophet, have fun with it.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Yes, that’s right, I couldn’t bring the other racers name to mind, but that’s the one, Monza I think? But not to hi jack the thread, yes, this is a wonderful forum, loads of info and help. Many thanks to all before me. I bought my Hypermotard from a (former) forum member on here. Researching his posts gave me some comfort in the bikes background.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts