Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '02 ST4s since May 2002. Recently I noticed the common issue of intermittent neutral light. While doing some winter time maintenance and installing a MOSFET VRR and volt meter, I decided to check the switch and check full the path for connectivity etc. Checked the usual suspects first: bulb, bulb holder, big connector on the left hand side, the switch AMP connector, and the connector at the switch. All had good connectivity so I pulled the switch. No spring effect to the plunger and it was severely worn after about 26K miles. Replaced with PN 539.1.021.1A and now functions as designed.

Photo of worn switch:

Photo of side by side old and new switch...little blurry, sorry.

I was surprised by the wear on the switch plunger. I believe that the spring failed internally as well. May dissect the switch to confirm. No exterior corrosion.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cut view

So I did cut the neutral "switch" open to view the internals. Used a angle grinder so precision was a little lacking but I did my best to not damage the internals.

The tip that extends into the gearbox had been worn down, shown above in previous post. Not exactly sure of what it contacts inside the gearbox to connect to ground when in neutral.
The plunger, at left end of the photo, rides inside a plastic sleeve that extends the length of the "switch" and provides a simple path from plunger through the spring to the external barrel connector (right end in photo); very simple arrangement. The plunger, spring and connector are completely insulated from the metal threaded housing.

PS Moderators, if possible, can you move these to posts into https://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/487241-neutral-switch-head-scratcher.html ?
When I started this thread, I had searched Neutral and switch using the site's advance search in Sport Touring and never came across result above... until I tried Google. Anyway, if you can move these two posts to the end of that thread to combine them it would be nice. Thanks!

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts