Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I bought a 2010 M696 about three weeks ago, I actually wanted a 796 but this one was a bargain so I got it instead.

When I turn the power on, the display goes through its normal progression but the neutral light won't come on even though the bike is in neutral. When I try to start the bike, nothing happens.

I checked the battery voltage, it is reading in the 12.5-12.8 range. I can't start in another gear with the clutch engaged because the guy I bought the Monster from put in aftermarket levers which does not engage the little pin by the clutch lever. This is driving me crazy, it's the second time it's happened to me. The first time, I came back a few hours later and it fired up OK. I tried that this time but nothing happened.

Has anyone else had this happen to their Monster and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Otherwise, the Monster is a lot of fun. The 696 could use a little more go, but it's still fun to ride. I may end up selling this one and getting a 796 next season.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
969 Posts
It happened to me once on my 696.
I was on a group ride at a gas station about 50 miles from home.
Checked all the electrics, even unhooked the battery but it didn't help.
I was about ready to give up and get somebody with a trailer to come and get me, but we kept rolling the bike back and forth and it finally decided it was in neutral.
Hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It happened to me once on my 696.
I was on a group ride at a gas station about 50 miles from home.
Checked all the electrics, even unhooked the battery but it didn't help.
I was about ready to give up and get somebody with a trailer to come and get me, but we kept rolling the bike back and forth and it finally decided it was in neutral.
Hasn't happened again.
Hi Winchester. I saw that solution somewhere else on the internet and I tried it the first time. It worked. Tried it again just a few minutes ago and no dice. I'm stumped. I hope it's not a serious issue. Anyone else experience this?

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I can't start in another gear with the clutch engaged because the guy I bought the Monster from put in aftermarket levers which does not engage the little pin by the clutch lever. This is driving me crazy, it's the second time it's happened to me. The first time, I came back a few hours later and it fired up OK. I tried that this time but nothing happened.
Here's a thoght. just because the prior owner put improper parts ont he bike doesn't mean you have to live with it.

I'd get proper levers on so I can start in gear, and then problem is solved.

This is what happens when you purchase parts for form, not function.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a thoght. just because the prior owner put improper parts ont he bike doesn't mean you have to live with it.

I'd get proper levers on so I can start in gear, and then problem is solved.

This is what happens when you purchase parts for form, not function.
Hi Tripod,

Thanks for the reply. I understand where you are coming from, that philosophy makes a lot of sense. But I do not think that is the issue. I did pull the clutch in and held the pin in with my finger, and then I tried to start the engine in gear with the stand up. Still no luck. So I'm not sure that changing the levers back to stock will do the trick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts