Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I am new to the forum, today I changed the pressure plate along with clutch slave (switched from M696 and used to the soft pull), now the neutral gear is missing.... only 1->2, or 2->1!! Everytime when I shift I saw the "N" green light blinks once but will not disengage to neutral......

Did I do something wrong? Or any adjustment can be made??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi,

I am new to the forum, today I changed the pressure plate along with clutch slave (switched from M696 and used to the soft pull), now the neutral gear is missing.... only 1->2, or 2->1!! Everytime when I shift I saw the "N" green light blinks once but will not disengage to neutral......

Did I do something wrong? Or any adjustment can be made??

Thanks!!
Most likely you have air in your slave. The best way to get it all out is take your pressure plate off an then push back on your clutch rod. Push it back towards your slave with the banjo bolt loose. You will see a bunch of air come out. Then close the banjo bolt and pump the clutch lever making sure you do not run out of oil in the reservoir. That should do it.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Husky likely has it nailed............

Or, the clutch pac is just a tad too thick. Whatever the cause, your clutch pac is not disengaging completely. Your workshop manual should have a spec for your total clutch pac thickness.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Husky likely has it nailed............

Or, the clutch pac is just a tad too thick. Whatever the cause, your clutch pac is not disengaging completely. Your workshop manual should have a spec for your total clutch pac thickness.
One would think he only changed the pressure plate so the pack should not have any effect on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I did not touch the clutch pack. But I am wondering I put the Speedymoto pressure plate, which is thicker than stock. Will this create problem??

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
You never know it could be the thickness of the new plate. Just 0.5mm is all its needs to go out of cock.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Yep bleed the clutch first, if that doesn't fix it, take off the backing plate yo put on and put the original on, put a few thousand miles on it, get a little more clutch wear and put the plate back on
Chris

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Aftermarket Slave Cylinder Problems

One obvious condition that could cause this problem is air in the clutch hydraulic line. If this is the case a trapped air bubble can compress (the fluid can't) so you won’t get a full stroke of the clutch pushrod and the clutch doesn’t fully disengage. The clutch line is notoriously difficult to bleed so Evoluzione wisely sells a banjo fitting with a bleed nipple that is to be placed at the highest point in the hydraulic system. This is where the air bubbles collect and the location most difficult to remove air from. I bought it and recommend it. It works.

However, another reason that the clutch won't completely disengage is that the aftermarket force-reduction slave units (and later model Ducati slave units) move the clutch pushrod LESS DISTANCE - a design tradeoff to accomplish a reduction in clutch lever forces.

In other words you're pushing the clutch pushrod with a smaller hydraulic pressure applied over a larger slave piston area that gives you the same force needed to stretch the clutch springs. It just doesn't move as FAR.

The larger the slave cylinder diameter, the higher the force-reduction percentage, the less the clutch pushrod is moved, and the more likely that your clutch will not fully disengage.

As a result, now that the clutch isn’t fully disengaging, the clutch plates are still dragging when you pull in the lever, so you often can’t select neutral.

And your going to wear-out your clutch prematurely if you don't correct the condition.

So, after bleeding the air from the line, it is often still necessary to change the 4-position adjustment on the clutch lever so that the clutch will begin to disengage earlier thereby increasing the stroke distance at the lever and ultimately at the clutch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again everybody.... what a cool site to have so many experts....
I did bleed the fluid and finally I have neutral now! One thing I noticed is the neutral is not as clear as before the pressure plate and slave done. May be that's the trade off.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts