Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Bon Vivant
10,575 Posts
One of my all time heroes and an eternal motorcycle enthusiast. He used to ride cross country to gigs while the rest of the band stowed away in the bus. He has multiple motorcycle road trip books that are worth reading. Truly a loss for rock and roll and motorcycling.

From Rolling Stone:

Neil Peart, the drummer and lyricist for Rush, died Tuesday, January 7th, in Santa Monica, California at age 67, according to Elliot Mintz, a family spokesperson. The cause was brain cancer, which he had been quietly battling for three-and-a-half years. A representative for the band confirmed the news to Rolling Stone.

Peart was one of rock’s greatest drummers, with a flamboyant yet utterly precise style that paid homage to his hero, the Who’s Keith Moon, while going well beyond that example. He joined singer-bassist Geddy Lee and guitarist Alex Lifeson in Rush in 1974, and his virtuosic playing and literate, wildly imaginative lyrics – which drew on Ayn Rand and science fiction, among other influences – helped make the trio one of the essential bands of the classic-rock era. His drum fills on songs like “Tom Sawyer” were pop hooks in their own right, each one an unforgettable mini-composition. A rigorous autodidact and a gifted writer, Peart was also the author of numerous books.

In a statement released Friday afternoon, Lee and Lifeson called Peart their “friend, soul brother and bandmate over 45 years,” and said he had been “incredibly brave” in his battle with glioblastoma, an aggressive form of brain cancer. “We ask that friends, fans, and media alike understandably respect the family’s need for privacy and peace at this extremely painful and difficult time,” Lee and Lifeson said. “Those wishing to express their condolences can choose a cancer research group or charity of their choice and make a donation in Neil Peart’s name. Rest in peace, brother.”

·
Super Moderator
5,355 Posts
Was quite sad when a friend texted this to me a little while ago. Rush was the first band I really imprinted on in high school. They were all so talented, and so humble too, able to poke fun at their god-like status among devotees. Glad I got to see them live a few times through the years.

·
Registered
275 Posts
OH No! Damn!

Saw them live like 10 times. Greatest ever. I feel like I have a weight in my stomach . This hits hard.

I want to pull one of my concert videos to reminisce but don't know if I can.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,329 Posts
The wife sent me a text telling me about this. I’m devastated.

I’ll miss you bud. RIP. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
275 Posts
If anyone is wondering, their documentary from about 10 years ago or so is the one where Neil discusses how he went on a 2 year motorcycle ride to ease his pain, having lost his daughter to a car accident and his wife to cancer. This was called "Beyond the Lighted Stage" if you want to look it up. Not sure where it might be available to view. If I had lost my family, I could see myself loading up the 2 wheels and doing the same thing for pain relief.

Well, we all find peace at the end. RIP

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
This is very sad news. I became aware of Neil Peart via an article in Cycle World magazine reviewing his book "Ghost Rider". As a result I ended up reading all his books, his writing was second to none.( Not to mention his incomparable drumming and lyric writing)
The world and motorcycling have lost a great artist/ enthusiast.
If I drank I would be raising a glass of the " MaCallan" in his honor!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I'm gutted, he was the same age as me. He didn't deserve to go out like this after the personal tragedy in his life.

But he didn't let the tragedy stop him, after his healing sabbatical he came back stronger than ever.

He truly stomped on the terra...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Second concert I ever went to was the Hemispheres tour, I was in the 9th grade at the time. Loved their music, last time I saw them was the Clockwork Angels tour in Nashville. He not only was the best drummer ever, but also a gifted writer and lyricist. Loved to read his views on riding and getting out on the road. A guy who confronted tragedy in his life by putting his face into the wind, the world is running out of people like him.
“Workin’ Them Angles”

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This is very sad. He was a great musician, and an outstanding human being.

PhilB

1 - 20 of 39 Posts