Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current bike - Y2K 748 is in local Ducati shop for the past 3 weeks due to dreaded Rocker arm chrome fraking.

Since I'm very persistant, they gave up and gave me a loaner while they have my bike, so that I have something to ride.

What they gave me is this:

Its an 07 Monster S2R. And I have to admit, I like it. With stock pipe, there are enoough sound to let everyone hear L twin sound, but not obtrusive so that its too noisy when you just want to cruise.

Over the time, with all the pipes I put on the bikes, I forgot the how gratifying the simple pleasure of hearing wind noise over just enough exhaust note from quite OEM pipe while just cruising along.

Infact, I like it soooo much that I'm actualy considering about possibility of trading my 748 for it.

But while I know alot about S4R, I know nothing about S2R.
I know it has APTC slipper clutch, like 620. I think it makes [email protected], and its 2 vavle/cylinder.
It has Sachs single shock with single-sided swingarm. and front I think is Marzocchi 43mm inverted on front.
Infact, other then engine is smaller, other, like chassis and suspensions are exactly the same as those on the larger displacement higher-performance versions.

But how are they as far as durability goes? And availability of aftermarket parts? I'm certain that S2R would be much more comfortable to live with day to day basis, and fact its air/oil cooled without expensive fairing would make it much more less laber intensive to work on..

This perticuler bike has 4500miles, and had service done(what ever that is), has Sargent Seat on it. Bar riser, and new tire. They want my bike+$2300OTD.

What your guys think?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Its an air cooled, not alot can go wrong... and they are DURABLE! lol. Its easy to tinker with due to having no fairings, basically its a great bike!

·
Registered
792 Posts
There are a lot of 2 valve air-cooled (and carbureted) Supersport owners who could own any bike they want (myself included) but prefer the simplicity and 'feel' of the 2 valve. SBK's make great track bikes, but less than ideal street bikes and I'd guess that a Monster would be considerably more street friendly than a 748.

I've always liked the S2R and would probably choose it over most other Monsters.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, I'm still considering it.
I just got back from dealer, and they are dropping the price.
They are now telling me that I can have it with my 748+$2000 OTD.
I can finance that or pay it out of my pocket.

Positive side of getting S2R is that its a newer bike, with less miles on it.
Air cooled means less crap to go wrong, easier to service due to no fairing.
Its still have single sided swingarm with marchesini wheels, which is cool.
It had 7500mile service done(valve adjustment), and has new tire.
Its cheaper to insure(I'm sure) then 748, and that it has the back seat(which seat is sergent seat). Still retains original Monster look(steel tube frame/rear section, ulike new monster).
MUCH more street friendly. Much more usable torque on lower rev range. And wet clutch with slipper is easy to use. You can acutaly see whats behind you on the mirror!!

Downside of it is that its not 748.
It wont have that power up at the top.
It doesn't have that classic look of 748, which I LOVE.
It doesn't have dry crutch - there for none of that classic mechanical noise from clutch like my 748.
It doesn't have 4 piston calipers on front, nor adjustable front fork.
And with S2R, I have to start over again. new pipe, LED tail, all the CF stuff, and so on(which sucks, and can be fun at the same time. just cost more money).
Oh and I just dropped $3000 on my 748 for all new rockerarms, new timing belts, oil change, new filter and so on.

I can't make up my mind!!!!!!

My 748..

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Try and see if you can get to ride a S2R1000. The power should be similar to your 748 and it has the dry clutch you want. It has more power and it is still a 2 valve. I am pretty sure you can get a descent deal on a used one if you look for it. BTW really nice 748

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'd keep the 748 and look for a used monster with a lower price. Then you can have your cake and eat it too :)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
interesting choice you've been offered. i don't think the dealer is interested in dicking around with you on an S2R 1000. That WILL be the equivalent of looking the horse in the mouth. they've offered you a good deal, so be respectful. If it's not for you, then thank them & move on.

As for the S2R 800. I'm totally in love with mine. After almost 4 years it's still stupid-fun, and it always draws the eyes like flys. It goes quick enough, and sounds like a dream.

I give it an 8+. If 10 were "the perfect bike" there would be small compromises like tank range, absolute HP, & stock suspension that may take it down a point-and-a-half in my opinion.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I dicided (after 4 nights of sleepless night, and hours and hours talking about it with my Fiance - who got sick of hering about it), I dicided to keep the 748 eventho they dropped trade price from $2000 to $1900 yeasterday, and change timing belt bofore it leaves showroom(since I kept talking about it)

Guy - Owner of this perticuler Ducati dealership - was very nice about it. He offered me great deal for a great bike. I really wish I could have both but I simply cant.

I thanked him after informing him of my dicision, and he said "well, i know that you've been looking around for S4RS Tricolor or S4R Blue/white color , so if i gets one, i'll certainly let you know, and that he'll work with me on prices for trade since he told me that he wanted my 748 for himself(explains why they were so generous with OTD price of S2R. He was saying that clean 748, thats well taking care of of, never been down, or abused that he knows that preivious owner took care of(since his dealer does all my service) are getting hard to come by anymore.

So I guess I'm gonna hold off of monster yet another year - Been looking for one for about 2 years,..

·
Registered
65 Posts
well, 748 is a Tamburini design, S2R, Galuzzi..uhm...can keep e' both?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts