Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've purchased a 2007 Ducati Sport Classic in the USA and I've imported it into the UK. I've got the Californian Tiltle but it doesnt show the date first road registered, which I need to get it MOT'd and registered in the UK. Please can anyone help or point me in the right direction how to do this. The VIN number is ZDM1WABP37B007448 and the engine number is WAB70354481. I have the Title, bill of sale to me, and I've now got it here in the UK and have the NOVA import certificate. I've also got spare red key and some service history. Thanks if you can help.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,202 Posts
In the USA, we don't have documents indicating the time a motorcycle is first road registered. We only have a current Vehicle Registration that indicates that it's currently legal to ride. This is one of the many differences we have when it comes to regulations. That's why we regularly refer to model year and you typically refer to registered year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, it kind of doesn't help me here though. I need a date of first road reg in order to put in on the official documents such as the MOT here. Do I pluck a date out of the air with that year? Or is there a way to find out, could Ducati help. Any help is appreciated. Jon

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,202 Posts
I greatly doubt Ducati can help. They would never be sent that information from US authorities. The only thing I can think of would be to ask the California DMV to do a search for the date in question. Perhaps you can explain to them your predicament, but due to privacy issues, getting information from a government entity may prove fruitless.

If there's no way for the MOT to look back and find that info from US authorities, I would just make up a reasonable date.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A lot of times a carfax report will show date first registered for use in the vehicle history report. At least for cars when I've looked and I assume it's the same for bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks carfax didn't work but I found the following online, 'Vin Free Check. Please see the report attached. I can see that the first Title was for the 07/29/2008 with a mileage of 577. Can I assume that this was the first date of road registration anywhere in the USA. If so what could account for the mileage of 577 prior to this could? Could it have been a dealership demo bike which had been ridden on trade plate? Or is it possible a title record prior to this is missing? The information that Vin Free Check comes from is called the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) is this fully reliable in the US?
Cheers Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
The possibility of it being a demo bike is very real. I would use the 07/29/2008 you found.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, no name on the fairing. But the good news is I was able to get it MOT'd with the date 07/28/08 taken form the first US title. However the inspector didn't like the Termi cans as they were too noisy and at the end they were stamped not for road use, so I had the originals in a box of spares that came with it and asked for those to put on. Then with my MOT certificate I was able to fill in a V55/5 form to register bike for UK roads, then I had to include a cheque for £106.55 (55 to register and 51.55 for road tax), plus include the MOT cert, and include the original Californian Title and bill of sale, plus the VIN check data form, plus 3 copies of my passport and driving licence, plus 2 recent utility bills as proof of address and ive posted it to DVLA... Now I have to sit and wait, they might be even more slow than normal due to the bat flu, so I'm not holding my breath.. With any luck I will get it back for the summer. My main goal is to ride the Distinguished Gentlemens Charity ride out in London in September fingers crossed. I've got a great personal plate for it TH5 4UTS (THE NUTS). TT classic on the Isle of Man also would be great. Cheers Jon

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I posted my documents to DVLA two months ago and have heard nothing. There is no way of contacting them as they will only accept enquiries from key workers and are not processing any paper documents, so I don't even know if my docs arrived!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts