Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday, October 31, 2009, I was taking a trip with friends in norther Arkansas. At 11:30 I rounded a curve and noticed another rider had gone down earlier and was waving for assistance. While trying to get someone to get to an area with cell phone reception, others were slowing significantly on the road, another rider had to take evasive action heading onto the shoulder and went down sliding into the back of my bike. :(

The rider I discovered waving for help has a broken pelvis and rib, the rider who hit my bike is ok but sore, He was riding a ZX 1400 and the bikes frame broke in two behind the steering head.:eek:

I need to replace my S4R and would like some suggestions for a suitable replacement. In the past 7 months I put more than 8,500 miles on the S4R sport touring through 12 states as including Iowa, Tennessee, New Mexico, Texas etc.:cool:

The bikes I am considering are the following. I encourage your feed back and please share any experience or issues you may have had.

ST4
ST3
Multistrada 1100 S
S4R 996
S4R 998.

The only concern I've had with the S4R is the flaking rocker issue.

Thanks

Phil

:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good heavens, man, glad that you are ok. That swing arm picture is frightening. But, at least you were on hand to help an injured rider.

I've got no personal experience with the S4R, but if your ruined Duc served you well, how about a like-for-like replacement?

I ride an ST4s and it meets and exceeds all of my needs. Have you had the chance to ride an ST? I think that it will feel substanitally larger than your S4R. Lots of ST owners push their valve adjustment intervals to 10,000 miles once the engine is fully broken in. I've taken that risk, and so far, my valves have remained smack in the middle of spec. range.

Just a few thoughts.

Best,

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Phil:

Glad you are OK. Sounds like a bad situation all around. The bikes you listed as replacements seem to have different uses. So, I'm wondering how you intend to use the new bike. FWIW, I am told that a testastretta is easier to work on than the 996 motor. But, the basic question remains: How do you plan to use it?

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
In the past 7 months I put more than 8,500 miles on the S4R sport touring through 12 states as including Iowa, Tennessee, New Mexico, Texas etc.:cool:
Your touring mileage is crying for an MY 03 or later ST4s or a Multistrada. Why not wait and see what the new 1200 Multi looks like?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts