Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1997 916 - Refurb

6K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  twerth 
#1 ·
I just picked up a nice 1997 916 mono a couple of weeks ago. It only has 4880 miles on the clock, but it's been dropped (encounter with ice according to the PO) resulting in some damage to right side fairings, and it was painted at some point before that. The repaint included non-factory decals with Italian flags under the clearcoat (a little cheesy), so I plan to reshoot the whole bike in the spring.

I'm able to source factory decals, but I'm having trouble finding pictures of the front and rear so I can correctly locate some of the smaller ones. Would someone mind sending me some shots (close ups) of all the decals in the correct factory locations? Better yet, some dimensions from fairing edges, body lines, etc. would be much appreciated. Other than the paint job, this bike is almost completely unmolested, and I think it's worth putting back as original as possible. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#39 ·
Not surprisingly, your handiwork looks even better all complete on the bike!
As i understand these things, as I've been told when in a similar situation, one is supposed to let fresh paint work cure for a solid amount of time, say a couple of weeks, before any polishing occurs. This isn't your understanding?

#40 ·
I'm not an expert. It's been decades since I worked in a body shop, and urethane was a fairly new material at the time. But, I think it depends on the manufacturer's recommendation. From what I've read, certain products can actually get too hard to buff efficiently if you wait too long.

On a happy note, I went to the garage this afternoon, hit the starter and my bike fired right up. Looks like I'm good to go. Now I just need the rain to let up.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.