Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
while you're at it check the internal fuel lines for splits, cracks etc, if you need to replace them make sure you use proper in tank hose that is fuel resistant externally
I gave everything a good once over when I had the guts out to test and then swap fuel pumps. Hoses are new and the right kind. The PO said he had replaced those as well as pump and filter. Pump and filter looked new or close to it, and I was able to easily blow through the filter. I think maybe the pump didn't do well when I drained the tank and it dried out. Probably a cheap knock-off to start with.

I think all's good inside the tank (fingers crossed), and I have another suspected culprit for the lack of power on top end. I'm not going to say anything yet because if I'm right, it's a silly mistake on my part. I'll come clean once I figure it out.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It's been slow going the last couple of months with poor weather, and I've got two other projects in the works. I did, however, finally get the 916 lined out. The bogging in upper gears turned out to be the front brakes trying to lock up. The bleed hole in the MC was nearly plugged and wouldn't allow pressure from thermal expansion to relieve as quickly as it should. That could have been bad!

Now I'm just waiting for warmer weather so I can start on body work and paint. The end is in sight.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've been able to put a few hundred miles on the 916 over the last couple of weeks, and everything works like it should. Starting to get excited about putting some paint on this thing. I had intended to go back red with white number panels on the tail, but they're almost all that color. I have plenty of black, so I'm wondering if that wouldn't be a better solution. I wasn't able to find a good picture on the net, but I did find the CF version below.

I also have white, grey and silver paint on hand, but I don't think any of those would go well on a Ducati. Thoughts?

Anyway, I'm planning to tear it back apart once I get back from MotoGP in Austin in April (fingers crossed it doesn't get cancelled) and get started.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts