Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did some searching and couldn't really find much on a few of these. First off I have a 2004 749s with full termi exhaust and love it. I do want to make some minor changes to start with (cosmetic) as the first phase of building up this bike. I currently have the silver rims and would like the black. I was wondering, do I paint them, or get a different set? I have a few years of experience in painting, and would be rather easy and cheaper for me to do so. Also I want to put carbon fiber to replace the air ventilators, air duct covers, front fender, side engine covers, exhaust pipe cover, and tank protector. Before ya go all crazy for all of the carbon fiber, the reason why I want to do this is because: I want to go for the "R" look, the current black pieces are hard to clean when you get some wax on them and can wear with the sun (even though I keep it inside), keep a nice shine with wax, and also the look of it. If I were to get these pieces, does anyone know of a company that makes a good quality product without breaking the bank? The last thing I would want to do for this first phase in my project is the front number plate. I lurked a bit and saw that srsigndesign makes a good one that people here liked. I would want to trim it to look like the one on the 749r, or can I still get it from ducati performance? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Here are some pictures of it in it's current state. Still haven't named her.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hi Rob,

So you’re planning to make your bike ever look lovelier? Well, honestly I think you’re better off by selling your bike and buy a 749R carbon version. That would be much cheaper and you get some extra bonus like to adjustable triples.

When I was at my dealer for a tire change, he told me that he had bad experiences with painted wheels. The paint would come off in the machinery that he uses for tire changes. You're better off with a powder coating!

About the wax:
I use Swissvax wax Concorso. It is pricey yes, but it shines better then a new Ducati and it last very long (about 4-5 months). There is a product called carnauba in it which is the shinny factor. And it smells very good! Just take a look at their website: SWISSVAX – The ultimate car care products hand-made in Switzerland

Dennie

·
Registered
350 Posts
Crystal Rock - Paul Dalton's state-of-the-art Carnauba-Glaze, 200ml
Product Code: SP10155500
Product Price: $1499.00

Are you kidding me? ? ? That's a lot of coin for a jar of polish..............

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now I use zaino, which I have been using on my show cars for years. It is a 3 step process. I thought about powder coating, but didn't know if it would add a significant amount of weight or anything else of that nature. I do plan on getting the 2004 749r, but can not afford it right now as I just got a house and don't think anyone would trade their R for an S. I do plan on building a section on to the house for bike storage with some glass walls, etc. Wanting to own the 749r, 999s, and 999r eventually, maybe one in yellow. Love the styling. I did see a set of "R" fairings for sale, but were extremely expensive, plus I do not want to pass my "S" off as a "R". So should I go with the naked carbon fiber front fender, or get one like the newer ones with the white stripe? Kind of on the fence about what I exactly want to do styling wise.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
HANDMADE WAX from Switzerland... Who know that if you dig you find that SWISSWAX has a sister company that is the in the semen bank business and this is just a way to dispose of samples that don't make it to prime time...

:abduct:

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
When I was at my dealer for a tire change, he told me that he had bad experiences with painted wheels. The paint would come off in the machinery that he uses for tire changes. You're better off with a powder coating!
+1

Powder Coating is superior on several levels... definitely go that way with the wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts