Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on making a long haul this summer. I will be moving to CA from MI. I want to make the trip on the scooter. So I have a few questions for everyone.

I think I saw someone a while back with a write-up on their trip cross country to the east coast. If I recall, you came very close to running out of gas once or twice. When I do this I will more than likely only be traveling with a backpack.

The deal is, I'm moving out to my dad's and am traveling lite. With having a traveling job and being gone for months at a time, I learn to live light. I'll have a few boxes shipped and the other thing is my car. I think I might find some other small truck out there and give my car to my mom and her husband.

I'm gone most of the year and I figure I can just use my bike when the weather is nice when I'm home at my dad's.

I am mostly worried about running out of gas. So I need some input from you guys. I don't need any rude and unneeded comments from you guys. So please keep it out. And thanks for any input

-t0aster-

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am planning on making a long haul this summer. I will be moving to CA from MI. I want to make the trip on the scooter. So I have a few questions for everyone.

I think I saw someone a while back with a write-up on their trip cross country to the east coast. If I recall, you came very close to running out of gas once or twice. When I do this I will more than likely only be traveling with a backpack.

The deal is, I'm moving out to my dad's and am traveling lite. With having a traveling job and being gone for months at a time, I learn to live light. I'll have a few boxes shipped and the other thing is my car. I think I might find some other small truck out there and give my car to my mom and her husband.

I'm gone most of the year and I figure I can just use my bike when the weather is nice when I'm home at my dad's.

I am mostly worried about running out of gas. So I need some input from you guys. I don't need any rude and unneeded comments from you guys. So please keep it out. And thanks for any input

-t0aster-
ship the scooter and rent a real motorcycle and enjoy the ride. good luck, and just mapquest out the ride with gas intervals. take care.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Go for it!

ship the scooter and rent a real motorcycle and enjoy the ride. good luck, and just mapquest out the ride with gas intervals. take care.
What?!?!?! The 900ss is totally fine for a long arse ride. I have been across the USA on my 1994 900 several times and regular runs from Denver CO to Akron Ohio are a no brainer. Great fun and no issues. Enjoy the trip, it is a fine way to travel and have a blast!:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
I believe that t0astercrumbs said that he had a "scooter".

I would make sure to check your mileage before you take your trip. Mapquest your route to stop through cities periodically as mentioned before. Possible pick up a clean sealable 1 liter container to carry some extra fuel, and have a great trip.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I believe that t0astercrumbs said that he had a "scooter".

I would make sure to check your mileage before you take your trip. Mapquest your route to stop through cities periodically as mentioned before. Possible pick up a clean sealable 1 liter container to carry some extra fuel, and have a great trip.

dude - just how young are you? "scooter" is well accepted lingo for a motorcycle, cause they "scoot".....

just like lots of people call my p200 scooter a "moped" (until I pass them on the freeway)

·
Registered
63 Posts
dude - just how young are you? "scooter" is well accepted lingo for a motorcycle, cause they "scoot".....

just like lots of people call my p200 scooter a "moped" (until I pass them on the freeway)
Notice how "scooter" was in quotation marks?
I know the lingo I am just not sure that Gunzen does.
Im sorry that you do not understand the emphasis of a word with quotes.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I guess I'm confused about why you are concerned about running out of gas? Are there vast sections of your route that are unpopulated (like more than 150 miles)? Even not trying to conserve fuel (ease off the throttle, use your gearing to your advantage) you should be able to eek out 150 miles. Other than that plan your stops and you shouldn't have any issues. I love touring with my Duc, compared to modern sport bike ergonomics its comfy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Buy a tailbag (less than $100) and save your back with the backpack. They are not comfortable nor practical for a ride that long. Joe Rocket actually has a nice expandable tail bag (not tank) for $65. If you are traveling lite, those should do for a couple of changes of clothes and some emergency stuff.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Buy a tailbag (less than $100) and save your back with the backpack. They are not comfortable nor practical for a ride that long. Joe Rocket actually has a nice expandable tail bag (not tank) for $65. If you are traveling lite, those should do for a couple of changes of clothes and some emergency stuff.
nelson rigg makes some nice sport saddle bags that are pretty cool as well. the lower the weight the better.. and you can still run a tail bag

1 - 9 of 9 Posts