Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so you probably saw my previous thread on the Paso and MH replica.

I have come across a 1993 Superlight.
Has some basic broken things, like a peg, a mirror, crap I know I will have to hunt for.

BUT, the motor needs a complete rebuild.
Frame is straight and true.
Wheels are good.
Swingarm is good.
Fairings will need a bit of work, but as you know, painting ain't a thang with me:D

What is this worth?
Maybe 2K?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Rainman,

I kinda like the idea ! Two grand would seem to be a respectable deal, but not a penny more ! You say it is a 93 ? Be sure and verfy the year. The 92 is said to be a better bike with the Akront/Marvic wheels. Check out the Falloon comments on the various years of production.

b.

Rainman said:
Okay, so you probably saw my previous thread on the Paso and MH replica.

I have come across a 1993 Superlight.
Has some basic broken things, like a peg, a mirror, crap I know I will have to hunt for.

BUT, the motor needs a complete rebuild.
Frame is straight and true.
Wheels are good.
Swingarm is good.
Fairings will need a bit of work, but as you know, painting ain't a thang with me:D

What is this worth?
Maybe 2K?

·
Registered
78 Posts
92 vs. 93 Superlight

Rainman,
I ran a Ducati dealership through the 90s and there seems to be some confusion regarding the years and specs of the Superlights. All of the Superlights we in the states got were Yellow 1993 models that had the Marvic wheels. I think the confusion stems from the fact that the black, gray, white graphics that were used on the 92 SS were also used on the 93 Superlight. The Superlight in the USA was a one year release. It was followed up by the SS SP line. Look for the usual SS weak points and check the runout on the wheels. Many people let the bolts that join the spokes and rim get loose. As the units originally came there were no supports at the front of the tail section. I think we warrantied the tails of every Superlight we sold. If you get this unit buy the updated front supports. I just got mine from Ducati and they reduce the chance of cracks forming around the mounting bolts. I am very familiar with this model. If I can be of help let me know.

·
Administrator
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info gents!
It is yellow, and has the stock fairings (the Superlight looks so cool).

I will take a very close look at it, this weekend.
And now I have some ammo to use.

He is actually asking 3200, but I will offer 2K.
I want to work on it myself, because as you guys know, I like to get elbows deep into it.

Any other weak spots to look at?
I know the motor is history, and I will check the wheels....

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have a look at the plate on the triple clamp, that'll give you the model (SLI, II, III or IV) as a start.

Otherwise it's standard carb 900 problems to watch for: frame, swingarm, front cylinder studs, clutch slave, reg/rect.

I have an SS and SL and - though they are essentially the same - for some reason the SL 'feels' so much better.

Enjoy the rebuild.

·
Administrator
6,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy wants 3500 for it.
Screw that, by the time I rebuilt her, she would be 12K and I could go get a nice PS or SS PLUS mods.

Damn, I am back to looking.

If I could just find a Supermono.
Or 750 F1 in need of a little TLC.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Stick with it and don't give up. Cash is a very, very powerful tool.

Rainman said:
The guy wants 3500 for it.
Screw that, by the time I rebuilt her, she would be 12K and I could go get a nice PS or SS PLUS mods.

Damn, I am back to looking.

If I could just find a Supermono.
Or 750 F1 in need of a little TLC.

·
Registered
73 Posts
rainman, don't get in a hurry, there are a lot of great bikes out there. Sift back and forth thru cycle trader, ebay, news papers and google search till your blue in the face. I found a very clean 748 for $4,000. Recently, I bought a 1990 750 sport in excellent condition for $3,500. Looking is half the fun!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think I should start buying some stuff here in the uk so I can send a container of bargains to you hungry guys over there !
I thought you had all the bargains over there cos so many bikes were sold over the pond, but it sounds like everyone wants their shed to have treasure in it now :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts